Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone recommend a fake beef or other roast type thing to have along with a good gravy? Thank you.
I love the Wicked Kitchen Turkey Crown!

Can anyone recommend any vegan (dairy free) cheese spread!!? Currently have violife and hoping this ain’t as good as it gets 😂
Nush almond-based cream cheese is my go-to! The plain one is really versatile - I use it on toast/crackers, stir it into in pasta sauces, etc.

Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend any vegan (dairy free) cheese spread!!? Currently have violife and hoping this ain’t as good as it gets 😂
The sheese one that was in Lidl recently is lovely; I think you can get it elsewhere normally as well.

Reactions: 3
I believe Waitrose, but some independent healthy food shops do to. I remember buying at some sort of a food & drink festival the first time.
Thank you :) I never even thought to look in Waitrose for vegan/dairy free food

• Heart
I got tempeh this week for the first time and made a Thai curry with it tonight. It tasted really woolly and craggy. I fried it the way it said on the packet and I was really disappointed. Anybody have any genius suggestions/ recipes for it? It has so much protein and virtually no carbs so really want to try to eat it more.

I got tempeh this week for the first time and made a Thai curry with it tonight. It tasted really woolly and craggy. I fried it the way it said on the packet and I was really disappointed. Anybody have any genius suggestions/ recipes for it? It has so much protein and virtually no carbs so really want to try to eat it more.
I’ve never met a tempeh I like so be interested to see what someone else can come up with!

• Haha
The trick is to always steam it before cooking! I grew up in Asia eating tempeh, and usually we'd marinate it for a few hours/overnight in a very punchy sauce before sauteeing or frying because it's quite plain otherwise. I like to make a good satay-style dressing with natural peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, and a bit of maple syrup, then marinate the tempeh in it or just drizzle it over fried tempeh and rice.

Edited to add: Lisa's got some great tempeh marinades here: https://okonomikitchen.com/5-easy-marinades-for-tempeh/

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Thank you :) I never even thought to look in Waitrose for vegan/dairy free food
Pre pandemic I was a regular Waitrose shopper because they had a better vegan/veggie selection that most other places aside from specialty shops. They used to stock such a decent and imaginative verity in their own brand stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I love tempeh! (But I was also the person who liked Tuno) Nothing special though, I just chop it up, fry it, and stick it in a curry.

Pre pandemic I was a regular Waitrose shopper because they had a better vegan/veggie selection that most other places aside from specialty shops. They used to stock such a decent and imaginative verity in their own brand stuff.
I had no idea! I have one relatively local to me but don’t go in as I find it too expensive for a big family sized shop, however for just myself to find some non-dairy things I’ll definitely pop in ☺ Thank you!

• Heart
@Alrexaj, i mean good for you re: tuno. I tried the future farm one and it wasn't much better. I have a can of Tunah by Marigold and I worry it's the same as the other two 😅 (I've had it since June now)
Marigold-VeganTunahInOil_170g_1080x.jpg

• Haha
The trick is to always steam it before cooking! I grew up in Asia eating tempeh, and usually we'd marinate it for a few hours/overnight in a very punchy sauce before sauteeing or frying because it's quite plain otherwise. I like to make a good satay-style dressing with natural peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, and a bit of maple syrup, then marinate the tempeh in it or just drizzle it over fried tempeh and rice.

Edited to add: Lisa's got some great tempeh marinades here: https://okonomikitchen.com/5-easy-marinades-for-tempeh/
Steam it??? Thanks would never have thought of that! I’m off to google!

Edit:
Got these from Aldi. Has anyone tried them? I think they'd be lovely in a stir fry, as suggested in the picture
IMG_20220116_114536.jpg

Boil it or steam it first, helps take out some bitterness and helps it absorb marinades better too. I never bother as i quite like it as is. But it does take a bit of experimenting.

Steam it??? Thanks would never have thought of that! I’m off to google!
The cheat's method is to just wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it for a few mins if you don't want to do the whole rigmarole of steaming... hope that helps!

• Heart
  • Wow
The cheat's method is to just wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave it for a few mins if you don't want to do the whole rigmarole of steaming... hope that helps!
I do that with cake to get it nice and moist!! (But for seconds rather than minutes)

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.