VE Day confusion - is history now “dead”?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love history (particularly modern history) and studied it at degree level. But I do think there’s a societal natural progression on from historical events. VE Day (and WWII) was experienced by people who are now elderly or have passed away - the memories stayed alive with them and their close family members, but the links are becoming more tenuous. It happens with many historical events

Personally I’m more shocked by how European/Western-centric taught history is, and people’s ignorance of very recent historical or current events

Reactions: 2
Controversial and kinda bitchy....

why do people find it funny that they don’t know basic history.

this “lol lol lol I didn’t know” 😂🤣😂🤣
attitude is so frustrating,

the one thing I liked in school (and continued to university level) was history so maybe a feel personally targeted 🤣
I loved hearing my grandad speak about his childhood.
we don’t know we’re born do we,
even in the middle of a pandemic we have it easy
I agree with this absolutely! My main interest is British military history, so of course, I am aware of certain ‘dates’ and events although I am aware not everyone will be quite as precise as I am in relation to them. But, come on - how can people have so little appreciation of such a monumental moment in British History? And then find it amusing? I suppose ignorance is bliss.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I love history (particularly modern history) and studied it at degree level. But I do think there’s a societal natural progression on from historical events. VE Day (and WWII) was experienced by people who are now elderly or have passed away - the memories stayed alive with them and their close family members, but the links are becoming more tenuous. It happens with many historical events

Personally I’m more shocked by how European/Western-centric taught history is, and people’s ignorance of very recent historical or current events
1945 wasn’t that long ago, to assume there are grown adults who don’t know the basic timeline of WWII,
and not only that, find it funny they’re so ignorant... is frightening. 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Makes you wonder how many people don't know about 9/11.
i remember walking around the memorial/museum in NYC a few years ago and a teenager visiting it did not having a clue what is was, i was blubbering - but was the first time something id personally experienced was seen as history.

1945 wasn’t that long ago, to assume there are grown adults who don’t know the basic timeline of WWII,
and not only that, find it funny they’re so ignorant... is frightening. 😐
Yeah, I think it’s in the process of being forgotten (or the importance being forgotten) but most adults should have an idea

I agree that ignorance is not funny at all, don’t understand the mentality. I thought we were moving past that as a society 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I new what it was but Iv only ever know my English family to have street parties for it.