Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Controversial and kinda bitchy....

why do people find it funny that they don’t know basic history.

this “lol lol lol I didn’t know” 😂🤣😂🤣
attitude is so frustrating,

the one thing I liked in school (and continued to university level) was history so maybe a feel personally targeted 🤣
I loved hearing my grandad speak about his childhood.
we don’t know we’re born do we,
even in the middle of a pandemic we have it easy

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I’m shocked by this 😂
not just on here but across social media in general!?

it makes me wonder, do kids not study history anymore!?
Did anyone here actually enjoy history?

Reactions: 7

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I don’t think anyone on twitter under the age of 30 even knows what it stands for....

people were never this dumb before 🤣
They were never this dumb before!!

is it the ‘rona??? 😮

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I love history (particularly modern history) and studied it at degree level. But I do think there’s a societal natural progression on from historical events. VE Day (and WWII) was experienced by people who are now elderly or have passed away - the memories stayed alive with them and their close family members, but the links are becoming more tenuous. It happens with many historical events

Personally I’m more shocked by how European/Western-centric taught history is, and people’s ignorance of very recent historical or current events
1945 wasn’t that long ago, to assume there are grown adults who don’t know the basic timeline of WWII,
and not only that, find it funny they’re so ignorant... is frightening. 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 5

mummy2under2

VIP Member
I can't believe that people think the street parties that were planned were purely because of Corona. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Events, parties and celebrations have been planned for months and months.
A lot of national trusts had events in place when they released their season schedule last year.
Saddens me that some parts of our history will eventually not be taught.

Reactions: 4

Devondoll

Chatty Member
I knew what it was, but I don't remember it ever being a big celebration. To be fair I'm under 30 so that's probably why. I assumed it was a bigger deal this year as we're in lockdown so street parties were to 'lift our spirits'. No street party here lol. My grandad was also a soldier in the war but he was german so 🤷🏼‍♀️

judsmum

Chatty Member
Controversial and kinda bitchy....

why do people find it funny that they don’t know basic history.

this “lol lol lol I didn’t know” 😂🤣😂🤣
attitude is so frustrating,

the one thing I liked in school (and continued to university level) was history so maybe a feel personally targeted 🤣
I loved hearing my grandad speak about his childhood.
we don’t know we’re born do we,
even in the middle of a pandemic we have it easy
I agree with this absolutely! My main interest is British military history, so of course, I am aware of certain ‘dates’ and events although I am aware not everyone will be quite as precise as I am in relation to them. But, come on - how can people have so little appreciation of such a monumental moment in British History? And then find it amusing? I suppose ignorance is bliss.

• Heart

Letsspillthetea

VIP Member
All I've seen is "today marks the end of the second world war" 🙄 anyone who actually knows anything knows ve day doesn't mark the end of the war and that it actually ended it September, it's infuriated me all day.

Reactions: 3

judsmum

Chatty Member
I am at a loss as to how people have never heard of it! I genuinely am!

Reactions: 3

coconochanel

VIP Member
I don’t think anyone on twitter under the age of 30 even knows what it stands for....

is it the ‘rona??? 😮
Of course they were didn't you read the article where they asked kids who Jesus was and they said Simon Cowell🤦‍♀️:giggle:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2

chocolate choux

VIP Member
1945 wasn’t that long ago, to assume there are grown adults who don’t know the basic timeline of WWII,
and not only that, find it funny they’re so ignorant... is frightening. 😐
Yeah, I think it’s in the process of being forgotten (or the importance being forgotten) but most adults should have an idea

I agree that ignorance is not funny at all, don’t understand the mentality. I thought we were moving past that as a society 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I love history (particularly modern history) and studied it at degree level. But I do think there’s a societal natural progression on from historical events. VE Day (and WWII) was experienced by people who are now elderly or have passed away - the memories stayed alive with them and their close family members, but the links are becoming more tenuous. It happens with many historical events

Personally I’m more shocked by how European/Western-centric taught history is, and people’s ignorance of very recent historical or current events

I love the celebrations and what it stands for. My grandma and grandpa used to tell me some wonderful story's. I hope it's sparked people's intrest in learning about it.

Reactions: 1

coconochanel

VIP Member
I can't believe that people think the street parties that were planned were purely because of Corona. 🤦🏻‍♀️
Events, parties and celebrations have been planned for months and months.
A lot of national trusts had events in place when they released their season schedule last year.
Saddens me that some parts of our history will eventually not be taught.
I quite like street parties. :giggle: 🥳

Fairypop

VIP Member
I’m under 30 & pleased to report I have heard of it & understand it! 😂 I love history though & my dad does too so I suppose I’ve grown up learning these things & I'm so glad I have.

Sticky One

VIP Member

is it the ‘rona??? 😮
Oh god 🙈 I’m 30 and have never heard of it until yesterday and I’ve spent all day wondering why I didn’t know about it 😩

• Sad