Utility bills, am I paying too much? Gas/electric bill's are crippling me.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thankyou, I'm worried we're tied in somehow, but I'm definitely seeking advice on the matter. It's unethical if they're making us pay off other pols debt! Because they can't find them!! Not sure it pays to be honest.
Definitely check your not paying someone else's debt. Have a look and see if and what you could save. It may be worth paying the £30-60 exit fees if you'll save a few £100.
Not sure if you can ask for your meter to be checked to see if it's running correctly? Worth asking though.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Also, to note...when I bought my current property the previous owners had huge debts with British Gas too. When I handed over the meter reading on my move in day, they also wanted the details of their new address which we didn’t have. So they accepted our purchase details and some paperwork from the sale.
If they can/can’t confirm that you are paying the prev tenants debt (in error, they’ll probably say) make sure you have your tenancy agreement or contract just to prove your move in date should they ask for it. They only provided a small timescale for us to provide it to them so just from experience is maybe dig it out and have it to hand in case they request it.
Ah, we've been here 15 months now. It's annoying that we've to provide them with there previous occupants new address. Like you we didn't have it. This is twice it's happened now. If we move again, I will be requesting proof or a clause that this won't happen again! That the current owners will pay their bills off. We always have. I'm honest and couldn't sleep worrying we'd get into trouble.

This is an extortionate amount to pay. I am ready to bet they’re billing you for the previous tenant’s debt, which might explain why they refuse to let you leave (they’d consider your account as in debt too).
You definitely need access to your previous bills. And if there is anything untoward, I’d try Citizens’ Advice.

• Heart
The best advice you have been given is to ring British Gas and ask for all paper copies of bills from the time you moved in.

Mam x

Reactions: 2
I am so sorry you have had a tough time previously, and burying your head when these sorts of things happens is incredibly common so please dont beat yourself up about it.

Do you have a Citizen's Advice Bureau nearby? They would be able to help you with this, and would help you draft letters to British Gas.

You dont have to provide them with the previous owner's new address, you just have to provide proof of the day you moved in, so either a tenancy agreement or your confirmation from solicitor of the day you bought it. Do you have a meter reading by any chance?

If you can find the meters and see how much you are using as it sounds like you are using way more than you should be for a property of that size.

Do talk to CAB if you can, they are there to help and will do all they can to get you straight.

• Heart
That sounds insane... I suggest making a list of all the items in your house which use electricity or gas and go through each one by one working out if you are using it a lot, how you can cut down, is there any faults with it.

I strongly recommend Money Saving Expert, it's a mine of useful information and the forums are full of very clever people

• Heart
That sounds insane... I suggest making a list of all the items in your house which use electricity or gas and go through each one by one working out if you are using it a lot, how you can cut down, is there any faults with it.

I strongly recommend Money Saving Expert, it's a mine of useful information and the forums are full of very clever people

Brilliant Thankyou! Looks like a good place to start!

I am so sorry you have had a tough time previously, and burying your head when these sorts of things happens is incredibly common so please dont beat yourself up about it.

Do you have a Citizen's Advice Bureau nearby? They would be able to help you with this, and would help you draft letters to British Gas.

You dont have to provide them with the previous owner's new address, you just have to provide proof of the day you moved in, so either a tenancy agreement or your confirmation from solicitor of the day you bought it. Do you have a meter reading by any chance?

If you can find the meters and see how much you are using as it sounds like you are using way more than you should be for a property of that size.

Do talk to CAB if you can, they are there to help and will do all they can to get you straight.
Yes I believe we have one locally. I might seek their advice. We've questioned them regarding the previous debt. They deny it. Make an off the cuff remark that they even sounded surprised at our electric bill. But claim it's right. We gave them our meter reading the day after moving in. And have since in November. I feel it's like David and Goliath...that they're too big to beat.

Do you have smart meters?
No. They were in when we moved in but weren't working and subsequently removed.

Yes I believe we have one locally. I might seek their advice. We've questioned them regarding the previous debt. They deny it. Make an off the cuff remark that they even sounded surprised at our electric bill. But claim it's right. We gave them our meter reading the day after moving in. And have since in November. I feel it's like David and Goliath...that they're too big to beat.

No. They were in when we moved in but weren't working and subsequently removed.
You could always try going to the Ombudsman but that is a daunting prospect when things feel too much already. But the Ombudsman would be able to look into why they are so high, why they wont provide you with answers and why you cant leave. It is all very unfair on you.

• Heart
You could always try going to the Ombudsman but that is a daunting prospect when things feel too much already. But the Ombudsman would be able to look into why they are so high, why they wont provide you with answers and why you cant leave. It is all very unfair on you.
I would really like clarification that we are only paying what we owe. Wading through bills and looking to find answers is very daunting too. I also need an explanation of why they wouldn't let us move after paying out final bills. Seems fishy to me. I suppose I don't feel capable of providing anything x

Looks like we might have gotten somewhere on why my electric bill is so high (128pm) when I live alone in a tiny one bed flat...

turns out part of the electricity for the communal hallway is being run off my flat!! They’re now going to do an investigation into what I’m actually paying for out there as there are all sorts of sockets with things plugged in! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Looks like we might have gotten somewhere on why my electric bill is so high (128pm) when I live alone in a tiny one bed flat...

turns out part of the electricity for the communal hallway is being run off my flat!! They’re now going to do an investigation into what I’m actually paying for out there as there are all sorts of sockets with things plugged in! 🤦🏻‍♀️
Hope you get sorted out!

something is not right there. Send your meter readings to your supplier ASAP. USwitch is really good, we review ours every year without fail as have been stung in the past
No, mine is correct. We are in a large house and we run a pool filter/heater pretty much 24/7.

I live in a 4 bed, detached house in Suffolk. I pay £86 a month for gas & electric combined, this is with EDF. I would look at changing x

I live in a 4 bed, detached house in Suffolk. I pay £86 a month for gas & electric combined, this is with EDF. I would look at changing x
I'm going to square up my bill and try. They blocked it last time we tried. If they do so again I'm going to citizens advice bureau!

Just need some advice, When we moved in our current house the vendor owed £300 on gas/electic. We rang the provider up explaining we were now in the property. We downsized due to our last house being too expensive to run. Still we seem to be receiving large bills. May I ask what some of you're paying quarterly. It seems looking since moving in.19/10/19 we have paid £3400 in gas/electric. We're in a small semi. The boiler is served no leaks or anything. It's actually the same if not higher than our last home. Have we paid off the debt left behind? Or is this average? We're a single income family due to your son having autism and I don't work. It's crippling us to be honest. Any advice welcome.
That’s £37 per day, that definitely can’t be right!

Off topic but I'm owed about £250 by an energy company from overcharging.

I switched as they were so incompetent, gave them the meter reading that they lost and they say I owe them £80, they've sold on this debt even though my account was in dispute and I keep being chased for this £80 and being told I'll be charged loads more when they go through the courts. I've given up ever trying to explain anymore and ignore the letters. It's bad enough I'm owed around 250 let alone this chasing that they say I owe them money! Never should have privatised it IMO.

If we hadn't if paid £200 off with our payment cards it would have been £800 a quarter 😔
The more I think about it, the shadier it sounds. One day we received a huge water bill (£409 for 3 months). It turned out we had a hidden leak. The water company actually called us to first check if it wasn’t a meter problem or a problem their end. Nos that’s good service!

Off topic but I'm owed about £250 by an energy company from overcharging.

I switched as they were so incompetent, gave them the meter reading that they lost and they say I owe them £80, they've sold on this debt even though my account was in dispute and I keep being chased for this £80 and being told I'll be charged loads more when they go through the courts. I've given up ever trying to explain anymore and ignore the letters. It's bad enough I'm owed around 250 let alone this chasing that they say I owe them money! Never should have privatised it IMO.
I hate when they do that. You must have been accumulating that credit for quite a while. Normally their supposed to regularly check and give it back to you if it’s over a certain amount.