Utility bills, am I paying too much? Gas/electric bill's are crippling me.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What kind of heating have you got?
Do you have the heating on a lot?
Do you use the oven/tumble dryer a lot?
Do you run hot water for baths or showers a lot?

Try turning the heaters on each room off unless desperately needed - we don’t have any of the bathroom heaters on in our house and rarely have the kitchen one on. We don’t have a tumble dryer and don’t have baths very often.
We have a combi boiler, heating is set for morning and evening. I may pop it on in the afternoon for an hour if cold.
We only have showers. No bath on the property.
My oven is used but not excessively. Just to cook dinner.
Yes my washer is on daily. My dryer is only used in winter mnths. But my other house was much later. Makes no sense.

There's no way this can be correct I live in a three bed semi with 3 kids and I use the washer and dryer daily for 180 combined a month .

Reactions: 2
There's no way this can be correct I live in a three bed semi with 3 kids and I use the washer and dryer daily for 180 combined a month .
I agree. There is 6 of us. But still its expensive. Teas made at the same time. Heatings heating one house. Washer is on daily but other than charging phones and we aren't running baths..as we only have 2 showers. I cant fathom it. I'm going to be extra vigilant with switching lights off etc. But I don't know what else to try. Especially if I try to leave again and they block it.

I agree. There is 6 of us. But still its expensive. Teas made at the same time. Heatings heating one house. Washer is on daily but other than charging phones and we aren't running baths..as we only have 2 showers. I cant fathom it. I'm going to be extra vigilant with switching lights off etc. But I don't know what else to try. Especially if I try to leave again and they block it.
I'd get a smart meter then u can see exactly what u are spending

20 a week electric 15 a week gas on meters. We dont use the heating that much to be honest we have big chunky blankets and throws each we use on sofa etc. 3 bed terrace house, washer on twice daily/ 3 kids all with tablets/phones/ps4 or whatever charging. I'd definitely be questioning your bill's those sound outrageously high. Hope you get it sorted quickly sounds like it's the last thing you need at the minute. xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
That is extortionate. I live in a quite a small 2 bed house, I pay 80/100 a month on electric and 120/140 a month gas.
you‘re getting ripped off big time 😳 we pay £135 a month for gas and electricity combined with N-Power. 4 bed semi

We pay around £200-£300 a month for each but we have quite a large house and are running a pool filter/heater. We are with British Gas and have had no issues but I have heard some horror stories.

The only thing I would say is where possible do everything in writing and if trying to pay back a certain amount each month is too much let them know. As long as you make an offer (and keep up with that offer) they shouldn’t be able to hound you
something is not right there. Send your meter readings to your supplier ASAP. USwitch is really good, we review ours every year without fail as have been stung in the past

I’m getting ripped off by Southern Electric. I live alone in a tiny 1 bed flat yet they reckon I use £128 a month on electric when I’m out all day Mon-Fri and away at least one weekend a month. 😳 I’ve just switched to Bulb who say my bill should be £36 so we shall see!

Reactions: 3
That's daylight robbery!!! It sounds to me like you're paying the debt. Definitely phone them up and query it cos that isn't right at all. We live in a two bed semi detached and we only pay £77 a month direct debit (£40 electric and £37 gas) and we're with British gas for both electric and gas.

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm going to have to do something. Does anyone know if there is an independent bodie that can look at our meters? They can be fiddled apparently.

we live in a 4 bed detached house theres 4 of us we pay £50 gas a month and £51 electric a month I'm home most days so have heating on when I feel cold and heating is set for a morning before kids get up and a few hours at night for bath time and bed.
we have a gas cooker electric oven,kids have phone chargers and TVs on and xbox.
we are with British gas I send readings for gas every month and electric meter is a smart meter.
in summer it's cheaper as we are out more and dont need the heating on.
definitely something not right hope you get to bottom of it x

we live in a 4 bed detached house theres 4 of us we pay £50 gas a month and £51 electric a month I'm home most days so have heating on when I feel cold and heating is set for a morning before kids get up and a few hours at night for bath time and bed.
we have a gas cooker electric oven,kids have phone chargers and TVs on and xbox.
we are with British gas I send readings for gas every month and electric meter is a smart meter.
in summer it's cheaper as we are out more and dont need the heating on.
definitely something not right hope you get to bottom of it x
Thankyou, that's exactly like the house we left. I just don't know how to fight it. If they insist it's correct ( again) x

You need to phone them and tell them you’re going to seek advice from a legal team to take a look into your bills as you’re certain they have charged you far too much and potentially have previous tenants debt.
Ask for paper statements for every month since you’ve been there and any previous statements (6m worth) from your previous property.

Also, tell them your position and that you have an autistic child. I’m not sure if you claim DLA for the child but they have a duty of care towards you and your child so they can look into your payment methods and sometimes award a discount or credit to your account.

I live in a 6 bed detached, family of 4 and I pay £210/month combined.

• Heart
I've just moved and have had a gas bill for £120 14/10/19 to 24/11/19. I didn't move in until 6th Nov (got keys 14th). I have downsized into a new build so thought it would be a lot cheaper to heat. Previously bills were £70 for gas and electric!!

• Sad
I have a two bed house and pay £78 combined for gas and electric a month I’m with octopus energy I found them the cheapest, I have a Combee boiler heating on about four hours a day use the dishwasher washing machine oven and tumble dryer every day

Something is wrong, your bills are far too high.

I'm in a 4bed detached bungalow, home most of the day, heating on all day from 6.30am to 10pm, I pay £90 a month for both gas and electric, always in credit after the summer months that sees me through the winter months. I'm with EON.

Get on the phone and hopefully you can get it sorted.

• Heart
You need to phone them and tell them you’re going to seek advice from a legal team to take a look into your bills as you’re certain they have charged you far too much and potentially have previous tenants debt.
Ask for paper statements for every month since you’ve been there and any previous statements (6m worth) from your previous property.

Also, tell them your position and that you have an autistic child. I’m not sure if you claim DLA for the child but they have a duty of care towards you and your child so they can look into your payment methods and sometimes award a discount or credit to your account.

I live in a 6 bed detached, family of 4 and I pay £210/month combined.
Thankyou, my hubbie is named on the bill so I can't ring myself. But he can after work. We don't have a large income. It's knocking my MH right back as well.x

I've just moved and have had a gas bill for £120 14/10/19 to 24/11/19. I didn't move in until 6th Nov (got keys 14th). I have downsized into a new build so thought it would be a lot cheaper to heat. Previously bills were £70 for gas and electric!!
Wow, so it's not just me? It's ridiculous. Why aren't these companies monitored and prices capped? Maybe I'm being stupid? My gas/electric bills are higher than my mortgage since moving.

Something is wrong, your bills are far too high.

I'm in a 4bed detached bungalow, home most of the day, heating on all day from 6.30am to 10pm, I pay £90 a month for both gas and electric, always in credit after the summer months that sees me through the winter months. I'm with EON.

Get on the phone and hopefully you can get it sorted.
I tried switching they blocked it. I'm. Going to do my damnedest to pay it and try again! Eon seem to be much better.

Thankyou, my hubbie is named on the bill so I can't ring myself. But he can after work. We don't have a large income. It's knocking my MH right back as well.x

Wow, so it's not just me? It's ridiculous. Why aren't these companies monitored and prices capped? Maybe I'm being stupid? My gas/electric bills are higher than my mortgage since moving.

I tried switching they blocked it. I'm. Going to do my damnedest to pay it and try again! Eon seem to be much better.
Mine was with British gas too. I was on the most expensive plan I think as I needed no exit fees so I could transfer over my e.on from previous house. I don't know why I couldn't just transfer it over without opening up the British gas account 🤷‍♀️ e.on won't let me keep my tariff I was on before which was really cheap so I need to see if I can get a better deal.
If you look on uswitch or the Martin Lewis engery club e.on do an online exclusive fix which has cheap standing charges and rates. Edf have a good one too apparently.

Mine was with British gas too. I was on the most expensive plan I think as I needed no exit fees so I could transfer over my e.on from previous house. I don't know why I couldn't just transfer it over without opening up the British gas account 🤷‍♀️ e.on won't let me keep my tariff I was on before which was really cheap so I need to see if I can get a better deal.
If you look on uswitch or the Martin Lewis engery club e.on do an online exclusive fix which has cheap standing charges and rates. Edf have a good one too apparently.
Thankyou, I'm worried we're tied in somehow, but I'm definitely seeking advice on the matter. It's unethical if they're making us pay off other pols debt! Because they can't find them!! Not sure it pays to be honest.

Thankyou, I'm worried we're tied in somehow, but I'm definitely seeking advice on the matter. It's unethical if they're making us pay off other pols debt! Because they can't find them!! Not sure it pays to be honest.
Also, to note...when I bought my current property the previous owners had huge debts with British Gas too. When I handed over the meter reading on my move in day, they also wanted the details of their new address which we didn’t have. So they accepted our purchase details and some paperwork from the sale.
If they can/can’t confirm that you are paying the prev tenants debt (in error, they’ll probably say) make sure you have your tenancy agreement or contract just to prove your move in date should they ask for it. They only provided a small timescale for us to provide it to them so just from experience is maybe dig it out and have it to hand in case they request it.

I've been with EON for years, I always check on comparison sites and they are always cheaper, give or take a few pounds, never enough to warrant changing. Their customer service is based in the UK so can always talk to someone.

Let us know how you get on,

• Heart