Utility bills, am I paying too much? Gas/electric bill's are crippling me.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I would definitely contact the ombudsman
We're in another much smaller house now, yet bills haven't changed much...the debt here was £300..im selling this one too..do when we do move I will change supplier! We tried when moving here and British gas blocked it despite us paying out final bills...nit suspicious. I wasn't in a good place mentally to fight it. This time I will because it's shady to say the least

No not storage heaters, we buy houses needing tlc and I know for sure twice they were left in debt with utilities...I'm convinced though haven't been able to prove it that we're paying those on top of our usage?
i don’t understand why you keep inheriting other peoples utility debts....? Your bills will state The date you started paying the utilities at the property and should have the meter reading to reflect this. You don’t just pay off other peoples debt.... that’s really not how it works. There’s no way on earth that I’d be paying down someone else’s debt, that’s madness.

Reactions: 3
Honestly I can't believe it. It's really putting a strain on our finances. I'm going to check if we can change provider? I'm hopeless and not sure of our terms. I just panic and get upset at each bill.
Jesus wept! Just change providers!!! I bet you are with one of the Top 6 ie British Gas etc

I agree. There is 6 of us. But still its expensive. Teas made at the same time. Heatings heating one house. Washer is on daily but other than charging phones and we aren't running baths..as we only have 2 showers. I cant fathom it. I'm going to be extra vigilant with switching lights off etc. But I don't know what else to try. Especially if I try to leave again and they block it.
How? How do they block it?

Jesus wept! Just change providers!!! I bet you are with one of the Top 6 ie British Gas etc
British gas..we tried. We paid our final bill and tried, the company we went with told us British gas had blocked it. I said earlier I wasn't in a good place then so let it slide. Plan on moving again, this time I will not.

British gas..we tried. We paid our final bill and tried, the company we went with told us British gas had blocked it. I said earlier I wasn't in a good place then so let it slide. Plan on moving again, this time I will not.
Go on Moneysupermarket.com and set it up through there. If you are genuinely being blocked by BG - you are probably paying for the last tennant. I'm in Leccy sales so know this

Reactions: 1
Go on Moneysupermarket.com and set it up through there. If you are genuinely being blocked by BG - you are probably paying for the last tennant. I'm in Leccy sales so know this
So glad you've confirmed this...its drove me mad but I knew it. I will thankyou.

How? How do they block it?
No idea, the new company sent a letter saying bg had blocked it they didn't elaborate...they can do this when you owe money. I had paid my final Bill's...

Sorry to bump this threat but my energy bills have gone mad in the lock down. Family of 4 but 3 of us are in all day. Ive recently got a smart meter were using £3.50 electric (we have solar pannels) and £4 gas per day.

Any else experiencing this 😳 Might tell the kids to go and pop a scarf on or something to reduce the gas 🤣

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this threat but my energy bills have gone mad in the lock down. Family of 4 but 3 of us are in all day. Ive recently got a smart meter were using £3.50 electric (we have solar pannels) and £4 gas per day.

Any else experiencing this 😳 Might tell the kids to go and pop a scarf on or something to reduce the gas 🤣
have you got your heating on all day?? What’s bumping the gas up??

have you got your heating on all day?? What’s bumping the gas up??
I've tried to have it on for about 5 hours a day. I used to turn it on at 6.30pm and turn it off about 8.30pm 😳 (maybe turn it off for a couple of hours in-between. Ive had it on for 4.5/5 hours today but its still at £3.50. Ive had a quick Google says people are paying upto 40% more on their energy bills.

I need to start utilising my solar pannels, I always put my dishwasher on after tea where I'd be better off popping it on in the morning and put the washer on when the dishwashers finished. Luckily were in £220 credit on the gas so should cover the extra usage untill April time when we don't have the heating on.