Unsolved mysteries of the showbiz world you're desperate to get answers to

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As I've said before, I don't think he had anywhere near as much dirt on people as is widely believed. He got to the position he did essentially by being confident and acting as if he already belonged. Its a relatively common tactic, and it works far better than you would expect. Especially for someone who is as amoral as he clearly was. Basically he created a myth about himself, which to his victims, who were vulnerable and would never be believed over a famous man, was all that he needed to do. That myth then leaked out, as these things do, and obviously that made it even more pervasive. Something doesn't need to be true if the person you're telling believes it.

He probably did have some dirt on some mid-ranking police officers in S.Yorkshire (and probably some people in the media), but I suspect that's as far as it went (and really its as far as it needed to go to keep him out of trouble).
From what i have read I really do think he had far reaching connections and a lot of info on quite a few MPs, police who had got into higher ranks and info on the royals. After all you don't get the keys a prison if not. He was part of a paedophile ring or even the leader, it is disgusting to think but there are far more people involved who have never been named or caught

Reactions: 13
Louis Theroux is a strange man himself, I've enjoyed his docs in the past, but there's something about him that seems quite dark. The programme and follow up wasn't comfortable viewing, I'm sure the book must be much worse in terms of details and underlying feelings.
Louis didn't really reveal much about himself in his book. Bit about his childhood and teen years but it was all skimmed over for the most part. It basically seemed like he was cleansing his sins from the Savile stuff. So yeah, that part seemed to go on for ages, assuring us he was keeping his distance, didn't trust Savile and all that.

With Louis, he's definitely hard to work out as a person. Doesn't give much away at all.

Reactions: 13
Louis didn't really reveal much about himself in his book. Bit about his childhood and teen years but it was all skimmed over for the most part. It basically seemed like he was cleansing his sins from the Savile stuff. So yeah, that part seemed to go on for ages, assuring us he was keeping his distance, didn't trust Savile and all that.

With Louis, he's definitely hard to work out as a person. Doesn't give much away at all.
I do feel that Louis was threatened by saville, maybe not overtly but turning up at your house where you live with your wife and child is threatening enough. He had no need to and would have had to have pulled a few strings to find out where it was, that was him showing him he could change his life in a blink if he wanted to

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
From what i have read I really do think he had far reaching connections and a lot of info on quite a few MPs, police who had got into higher ranks and info on the royals. He was part of a paedophile ring or even the leader, it is disgusting to think but there are far more people involved who have never been named or caught
He comes across to me as far too much of a loner and an egotist to be involved with such a group. He always seemed very selfish and wanted to be in charge of everything. No way would high ranking politicians and royals let him be in charge. There were probably a couple of hangers on of his involved (in fact one of them was jailed, and another one died before going to court), but they were people he could control. Like I said, I think he worked very hard on cultivating an image of being highly connected, and maybe he even believed it himself. But I think if it had actually been tested it would have fallen apart very quickly indeed.

Now, whether there was a group involving MPs and the royals is a different matter, but if so I don't think Savile was involved in it.

Reactions: 5
I do feel that Louis was threatened by saville, maybe not overtly but turning up at your house where you live with your wife and child is threatening enough. He had no need to and would have had to have pulled a few strings to find out where it was, that was him showing him he could change his life in a blink if he wanted too
Wouldn't put it past Savile as he seemed pretty ruthless. Plus he wasn't the Louis of today - he was still just getting going then. So probably a lot easier to get to.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
This is such an interesting thread!

There’s a couple I’d like to throw into the mix:

Ian Watkins (LostProphets) - did the band really have no idea what he was up to? I used to be a LP fan back in the 00’s and I genuinely was shocked when what he had done all came out back in 2012/13 when he was arrested and then convicted. Apparently it was well know for years but I must have been living under a rock as I’d never heard the rumours about young girls/kids.

Caprice - she had 2 kids the same age, apparently 1 born by surrogate and 1 she conceived at exactly the same time, just sounds a bit strange.

The whole Nicole Kidman situation/relationship with her adopted kids and also Tom and Suri. What really happened between them all? Was it all Scientology?

I think someone else mentioned Anna Nicole Smith, always thought this was a tragic one with lots of questions marks over it.

Philip Scofield was seeing a young man working at ITV on the side and it was going to be exposed so that’s why he publicly came out when he did?

I know Brittany Murphy has come up a couple of times on this thread. Think I read something once that she had a problem with very severe monthly menstral bleeding and one theory was she had anemia due to heavy bleeding and therefore was weak and the whole mouldy home and subsequent respiratory illness was made worse.
When I was in college I knew a girl who was a huge Lost Prophets fan, she was around 16/17 and Ian Watkins was directly messaging her, she was so thrilled and excited and we were all so awed by it as we were such big fans of the band, this was around 2006-2007.
But when it came out what he did, it was awful, I can't even listen to their songs now as it's just associated with Ian Watkins.
He dated Fearne Cotton as well in the 00s if I remember correctly.
From what I read in the media in the past, he got into more extreme things as time went on so maybe the other band members had no idea what was really going on.
Even though he was the voice of the band, there are the other band members who created the music but all that work in purely tainted now by Ians actions.

Brittany Murphy is a really dodgy one, it's never really been made clear what has happened there, and both her and her husband dying within months of each other.

Reactions: 14
Regarding Ian Watkins, wasn't the actual mothers involved with the abuse. So maybe it was a case of the other band members thinking it was them, not the children who were taking part. (I don't want to write the proper words because it's so vile)

It's honestly such a horrific act you'd want to convince yourself it wasn't true.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
He comes across to me as far too much of a loner and an egotist to be involved with such a group. He always seemed very selfish and wanted to be in charge of everything. No way would high ranking politicians and royals let him be in charge. There were probably a couple of hangers on of his involved (in fact one of them was jailed, and another one died before going to court), but they were people he could control. Like I said, I think he worked very hard on cultivating an image of being highly connected, and maybe he even believed it himself. But I think if it had actually been tested it would have fallen apart very quickly indeed.

Now, whether there was a group involving MPs and the royals is a different matter, but if so I don't think Savile was involved in it.
Will have to agree to disagree, i have read a lot of things that say otherwise

Regarding Ian Watkins, wasn't the actual mothers involved with the abuse. So maybe it was a case of the other band members thinking it was them, not the children who were taking part. (I don't want to write the proper words because it's so vile)

It's honestly such a horrific act you'd want to convince yourself it wasn't true.
In my opinion, I don't think the band knew....there are some very dark things that go on in this world behind closed doors and some people are very good at hiding it

Reactions: 8

I was a massive LostProphets fan and i can’t listen to them anymore it just feels wrong.

There are no words for what he did but what makes me really sick is that the mothers were involved, i can’t comprehend how you could do that to your own kids.

I think the band may have had an idea of him taking advantage of younger fans but i doubt they had any clue about his actual depravity.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
RE Watkins I remember finding a website (possibly a gig booking one? I can’t remember but it wasn’t an actual forum) just after the news first broke and sooo many people were posting comments about who was involved, what Ian was like etc. To the point where when the woman’s name came out I already knew who it was - so it can’t have been that hush hush. There was another woman (not the one charged with him) who’s name came up loads but she got away during the court case, I don’t know if she was innocent or just couldn’t be implicated. The whole story is atrocious though, especially if you read the details read out in court.

Reactions: 14
Nicole Kidman ... strange, strange family ... look up her father (Antony Kidman) and Fiona Barnett if you want to go down a conspiracy rabbit hole ... was Nicole complicit in all that was going on? How about her mother and sister? Nicole has never publicly commented on it.

And was her marriage to Tom ending, really a result of her affair with Ewan McGregor?

What did Stuart Townsend do to upset Peter Jackson and be fired from Lord of the Rings?:

Stuart Townsend during 2004 Toronto International Film Festival. Photo / Getty

Stuart Townsend during 2004 Toronto International Film Festival. Photo / Getty

The Irish actor was cast as Aragorn in The Lord of the Rings trilogy but was sacked by director Peter Jackson.

"I was there rehearsing and training for two months, then was fired the day before filming began," Townsend said to Entertainment Weekly.

"After that I was told they wouldn't pay me because I was in breach of contract due to not having worked long enough. I had been having a rough time with them, so I was almost relieved to be leaving until they told me I wouldn't be paid.

"I have no good feelings for those people in charge, I really don't. The director wanted me and then apparently thought better of it because he really wanted someone 20 years older than me and completely different."

The role was given to Viggo Mortensen instead.

I used to quite like Stuart but it turns out he's a PoS ... maybe Peter Jackson is an excellent judge of character:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I agree he was an absolute bullshitter. I read Louis Theroux's book and it goes into detail about his time with him. Savile was saying he was going to get him loads of big interviews and make his career through his connections and influence etc. None of which ever materialised of course as he spent most of his time in Scarborough not doing a lot at all around that time. Just massive delusions of grandeur. I'm sure Louis regrets keeping in contact with him now but it went on quite a few years after that initial documentary
Definitely a world class bullshitter, a casually dishonest person, who saw no reason not to lie to get what he wanted. Best insight into Saville's mind is the interview he did way back in 1991 with the Irish psychiatrist Antony Clare, who used to do this 'on the couch' series with various famous types. Clare was basically half mystified, half chilled by him.

Reading the interview now, knowing what we know about him, is a lot more revealing than it was at the time. You can slip between the lines and see confession after confession. The thing I notice about him in hindsight is how he likes to hide in plain sight, dangle truth amongst his bullshit. It's almost the secret of his extensive offending, to me.

I remember Savile on the BBC show, Have I Got News For You, being asked by Ian Hislop what he did in that caravan he owned. Savile says in the coldest of voices, "Anyone I bloody want." and the other panellists all sort of pathetically titter, very, very nervously. They pick up the horrible insinuation and possible truth of what he's saying, so try to dismiss it. The caravan btw being a place where he regularly raped young girls. He pulled the same trick with Theroux too, 'joking' on camera about being 'feared at every girls' school in the country' and Theroux looks rattled but doesn't challenge him.

How Jimmy Savile revealed all in the psychiatrist’s chair – Channel 4 News

The late actor Klaus Kinski - a insufferable if charismatic psycho who was actually diagnosed with anti-social personality disorder by a psychiatrist after stalking and trying to strangle a female colleague early in his career, would also pull the same conversational stunt as Savile ; casually throwing in some admission of something dreadful he'd done as a throwaway 'joke' or just in passing casual conversation. After news came out about him raping his daughter Pola from age five, and also molesting her half sister Natassja at the same age, another actor who made a film with him mentioned how one day on set Kinski strolled up and when asked how his weekend was says something like, "Great .. I raped Nastassja," like "I had a nice cup of tea," leaving the actor thinking he MUST be joking. He wasn't.

Saville was committing crimes against young people long before he ever got anywhere near the royals, the politicians and the rich and famous. He was known to 'like them young' and committed various nasty acts of violence against young men at the discos he ran in Yorkshire in the late fifties. He was definitely in with the police of the time - he was essentially a sociopathic gangster who got into the BBC via the old radio Luxembourg . There were so many creeps in the early DJ and teenybopper music scene - Chris Denning is another BBC pedophile who took the same route but one who was convicted early and often and lost his BBC career. Denning started working for Jonathon King (anyone recall him?) who produced boy bands, and molested them, and promoted Gary Glitter (enough said) and worked alongside the Bay City Rollers manager, who was also convicted of sex offences. I think these people form rings so easily in certain professions like entertainment because so many people see entertainment as the best way of getting close to the very young and vulnerable kids or beautiful young people they most desire. So certain parts of the music and film and tv industries are just full of creepers and sex pests. Savile just extended his range from entertainment into psychiatric and medical institutions via charity and used this respectability as a human shield.

Which leads me to Watkins ... heard from a mate who knew one of the other band members that they understood very well Watkins was an immoral junkie wanker and basic addled old creep but had no idea of the extent and depth of the sexual offending and depravity because they essentially, like many big bands, led completely separate lives offstage after a certain point. and Watkins shared nothing of his more disgusting interests with them. There are plenty of bands who don't like, socialize with or even speak to each other apart from onstage, so I believe this. I would suspect they knew about and tolerated the contact with borderline legal teenage girl fans, because that tit is utterly rampant and accepted in these scenes, but I do believe they had no idea about the baby rape shite.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
I also believe that Ian Watkin's bandmates and other associates didn't know about the severity of his paedophilia. Most people don't know many details of their workmates' or friends' sex lives. It's not information that anyone outside of a romantic partner would know. And on that note I still believe that Fearne didn't know, as paedophiles try to keep their offending from their wives and girlfriends all the time.

Reactions: 19
This is such an interesting thread!

There’s a couple I’d like to throw into the mix:

Ian Watkins (LostProphets) - did the band really have no idea what he was up to? I used to be a LP fan back in the 00’s and I genuinely was shocked when what he had done all came out back in 2012/13 when he was arrested and then convicted. Apparently it was well know for years but I must have been living under a rock as I’d never heard the rumours about young girls/kids.

Caprice - she had 2 kids the same age, apparently 1 born by surrogate and 1 she conceived at exactly the same time, just sounds a bit strange.

The whole Nicole Kidman situation/relationship with her adopted kids and also Tom and Suri. What really happened between them all? Was it all Scientology?

I think someone else mentioned Anna Nicole Smith, always thought this was a tragic one with lots of questions marks over it.

Philip Scofield was seeing a young man working at ITV on the side and it was going to be exposed so that’s why he publicly came out when he did?

I know Brittany Murphy has come up a couple of times on this thread. Think I read something once that she had a problem with very severe monthly menstral bleeding and one theory was she had anemia due to heavy bleeding and therefore was weak and the whole mouldy home and subsequent respiratory illness was made worse.
Back in the say I worked with a girl who was friends with the drummer from LP and apperantly the had no idea - they all knew he had drug problems and just assumed it was something to do with that etc. When he got arrested they got called in with their label and pretty much told they were dropped because of the allegations.

I listened to a podcast on Anna Nicole Smith on You're Wring About on Spotify I'd reccomend and it goes into some detail about how she died etc.

Reactions: 10
I was never a big fan of Lostprophets; I'm an old school metalhead(give me endless Rammstein, Slayer and Metallica). But I did see them live once when they played support to Metallica back in 2006, I think. The Dublin crowd was having NONE of them, they disappeared in a sea of thrown plastic bottles.

I honestly feel sorry for the other members of the band, though. They're forever guilty by association, even though they had nothing to do with that scumbag's sickening crimes.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I’ll never believe Kurt Cobain’s death was by suicide.

There’s no way he was able to shoot him self with the amount of heroin he had in his system , let alone hold the gun and pull the trigger.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Louis Theroux is a strange man himself, I've enjoyed his docs in the past, but there's something about him that seems quite dark. The programme and follow up wasn't comfortable viewing, I'm sure the book must be much worse in terms of details and underlying feelings.
Have watched all of Louis’ documentaries and read his books. In his more recent book he comes across as pretty narcissistic and self absorbed.

re Saville- it comes across that Louis has been trying to absolve himself of guilt ever since the truth broke. That was clearly why he made the follow-up documentary and wrote so much about it in his book. Not sure he has quite achieved it though...

Reactions: 15
Have watched all of Louis’ documentaries and read his books. In his more recent book he comes across as pretty narcissistic and self absorbed.

re Saville- it comes across that Louis has been trying to absolve himself of guilt ever since the truth broke. That was clearly why he made the follow-up documentary and wrote so much about it in his book. Not sure he has quite achieved it though...
I've always been a really big Louis Theroux fan but have started to notice this side of him more especially in the podcasts he's been doing over lockdown. I did think it was all a bit of a front or a joke though to hide his awkwardness.

I do find it odd how desperate he has been to distance himself from the Saville stuff like in the follow up documentary where he was asking the victims and their families 'should I have known?', making it about him. And the book was very focussed on this despite it not being the most interesting documentary he's done and he brings it up on the podcast a lot.

To me, his constant defensiveness about it is having the opposite effect than he's intending. It feels like he's protesting too much and makes me feel he probably did know more than he put in the original documentary. He should have made a statement at the time then moved on and people would have probably forgotten that he'd done that show but instead he's forever linking himself to Saville.

Reactions: 11
There’s a Jimmy Saville thread which is interesting reading

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.