Unpopular opinions #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you run or work in a care home play appropriate music for them at parties...

My mum who was in a home died about 18 years ago and her era of music was Bill Haley, Elvis etc and they would play my old man said follow the van, or Burlington Bertie
Seems like once you reach a certain age you just become all the same age. No one alive today was alive when those tunes came out and neither was my mum and she is long gone.

if your home does this, then just stop.
When I go into a care home I want my loved ones to find me dancing to some TTF and Bits and Pieces (Scots know what I’m on about). Not bastarding Daisy Daisy

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My mum used to work in an old people’s homes and they’d play Vera Lynn, Gracie Fields, George Formby etc because that was ‘their era’, but like you say not all old people like the same things. My own grandmother loved Michael Ball and Russell Watson and would have much preferred listening to them.

Reactions: 3
I am in my 60s and love Motown, UB40, 60s,70s etc and many other types of music but my fav is Dark garage. I'm going to make sure I take a ton of saved music with me and at their parties, I will have earbuds in and dance to my won tunes 😁
I still have my Gran’s Spotify playlist saved and there are some great tunes in there!

If my care home aren’t playing Duran Duran, George Michael and Adam Ant, there will be a mutiny!

Also for more active days a bit of Ride on Time, Pump Up The Jam etc

If I’ve had a sherry or two I’ll be asking for Curtis Mayfield’s Move On Up to get up and dance to.

Hearing aids or not, Insomnia will have to be played full blast!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My mum used to work in an old people’s homes and they’d play Vera Lynn, Gracie Fields, George Formby etc because that was ‘their era’, but like you say not all old people like the same things. My own grandmother loved Michael Ball and Russell Watson and would have much preferred listening to them.
That's what they played in my mums home they thought it was her era but it was her mum and gran's era, not hers.

My era is the 70s but you know damn well that isn't what they will play if I go into one, they will still be playing old music hall and war songs. I know we all have our own tastes and they cannot cater to everyone's tastes but they should at least get the era right.

I want T-rex, Queen, Black Sabbath, Sweet and yes (god damn him to hell) Gary Glitter

• Haha
Reactions: 13
My potentially unpopular opinion is - I don't believe women who say they partake in so many beauty rituals just because they want to, for themselves. i.e. hair extensions, fake tan, fillers, hair dye, fake eye lashes, waxing everything, three layers of make up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these things, but I just don't buy it when people say they do it "for themselves".

Reactions: 24
I like the Beatles Elvis etc as well as 70s and 80s stuff. I don't think anything decent has been released since 2000, except covers of old stuff.

Reactions: 1
i am often shocked at the conversations people have in public seemingly without realising other people are listening. i was on the bus the other day and a woman was having a conversation with her bank revealing lots of personal data which in sure in the wrong hands could be very dangerous
I find it really odd that so many are always talking about sex. My sexual taste back in the day was fairly dark and adventurous but no one other than my partners knew that. Not even my best mates but then I always preferred action to talk.

Reactions: 9
That's what they played in my mums home they thought it was her era but it was her mum and gran's era, not hers.

My era is the 70s but you know damn well that isn't what they will play if I go into one, they will still be playing old music hall and war songs. I know we all have our own tastes and they cannot cater to everyone's tastes but they should at least get the era right.

I want T-rex, Queen, Black Sabbath, Sweet and yes (god damn him to hell) Gary Glitter
Can't wait for my generation to be singing along to Craig David in the care homes 🤣

Love a bit of 90s garage

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I find it really odd that so many are always talking about sex. My sexual taste back in the day was fairly dark and adventurous but no one other than my partners knew that. Not even my best mates but then I always preferred action to talk.
I do love how your first sentence then follows with you talking about sex, mate I'm eating me cornflakes I don't need to see this 😭 :sick: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I like the Beatles Elvis etc as well as 70s and 80s stuff. I don't think anything decent has been released since 2000, except covers of old stuff.
My grandchildren are amazed I know the words of so many of their tunes. 🤣

I do love how your first sentence then follows with you talking about sex, mate I'm eating me cornflakes I don't need to see this 😭 :sick: :ROFLMAO:
Haha, I didn't go into any details, one person's dark is another's vanilla ;)

Reactions: 3
For all the people saying they don’t like talking about sex… the focus of these threads sure is becoming about sex and sexual preferences 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My potentially unpopular opinion is - I don't believe women who say they partake in so many beauty rituals just because they want to, for themselves. i.e. hair extensions, fake tan, fillers, hair dye, fake eye lashes, waxing everything, three layers of make up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these things, but I just don't buy it when people say they do it "for themselves".
sadly, I agree.

I love getting dressed up (by that I mean a bit of makeup and anything that isn’t gymwear these days!) and feeling nice partly because it does feel nice to look good, but part of it is also that it feels nice to be admired.

women very much are conditioned to place our value and get validation based on how men see us and how attractive we are.

I love my best friend to bits, she loves make up. She won’t go to Tesco without a full face of makeup. She loves fake tan, lashes etc. Her clothing choices are all chosen to accentuate the parts of her body she thinks are most attractive to men - boobs and bum. She has low self esteem and the saddest part is, naturally she is a very beautiful woman.

she’s never explored her own taste in clothing for example, because it’s always been about what will make her attractive to men.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
i am often shocked at the conversations people have in public seemingly without realising other people are listening. i was on the bus the other day and a woman was having a conversation with her bank revealing lots of personal data which in sure in the wrong hands could be very dangerous
I hate taking calls in public, partly because some of them (such as hospital appointment booking) involve giving out such personal information. I don't understand why some people do this. It's bad enough when my dad calls me. (He works outside and usually wants to know if I'm home so he can have a wee!)

Reactions: 7
Children that constantly get angry, flip tables, scream, shout and swear etc should not be in mainstream school. Why should my hard working well behaved children have to put up with children having a meltdown because they can't cope?

Reactions: 26
I work from home and still apply make up everyday, it's part of my morning ritual. I don't have extensions, fake eye lashes or any of that tit. I don't put on a full face of make up, just some mascara and eye liner.
I do it because I am bleeping ugly and don't need to be reminded of it everytime I look in the mirror 😂

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.