Ukraine Russia War #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All very quiet on the MSM these days.
FWIW Al Jazeera is keeping it well up the front page, and is keeping the live updates going though I realise they probably don't qualify in a lot of people's definition of MSM depending on who's where, given they aren't exactly UK centric.

Reactions: 4
I spoke about China and Taiwan in the early days of Russia attacking Ukraine.
It’s almost like Russia set the stage for China and China is now using Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan as what I see as a bit of an excuse (as if they needed one 🙄)
I find this situation really concerning, not wanting to cause any anxiety for people as this is just my own thoughts, but it’s really worrying how this might go.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I spoke about China and Taiwan in the early days of Russia attacking Ukraine.
It’s almost like Russia set the stage for China and China is now using Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan as what I see as a bit of an excuse (as if they needed one 🙄)
I find this situation really concerning, not wanting to cause any anxiety for people as this is just my own thoughts, but it’s really worrying how this might go.
We were discussing last night how people are always so worried about Russia but the real threat is China. China are owed Billions by the west and have bought up land, property, businesses in other countries. It's like nobody is paying attention and they are just stealthily stealing the rest of the world.

Also they are one superpower I think who has actual firepower behind them and I reckon they would use force. Bet people miss the great Orange one now.

Reactions: 8
We were discussing last night how people are always so worried about Russia but the real threat is China. China are owed Billions by the west and have bought up land, property, businesses in other countries. It's like nobody is paying attention and they are just stealthily stealing the rest of the world.

Also they are one superpower I think who has actual firepower behind them and I reckon they would use force. Bet people miss the great Orange one now.
They'll never admit to it, though.....

This is why I'm not entirely convinced that anything would happen if China just invaded Taiwan

Even this whole Ukraine war has been mostly painted by not really doing anything too direct and the major reason anyone cares is because it's in Europe. Very easy to ignore stuff once it's not close to home

Obviously US might decide to go to war over it, and we'd of course follow like the best little friend we are, but even then I sort of doubt it

Reactions: 6
This is why I'm not entirely convinced that anything would happen if China just invaded Taiwan

Even this whole Ukraine war has been mostly painted by not really doing anything too direct and the major reason anyone cares is because it's in Europe. Very easy to ignore stuff once it's not close to home

Obviously US might decide to go to war over it, and we'd of course follow like the best little friend we are, but even then I sort of doubt it
I don't think there is any way we would do anything if the Taiwan situation escalates, we haven't done anything (as far as I can see?) after the protests in hong kong etc, obviously it is not fair, but it is logical that we are more converened about what is happening on our doorstep in a place that is very culturally similar to us than somewhere quite far away

Reactions: 2
There's a number of interesting balances that come into play if we are looking at countries and debts - this one isn't going anywhere soon and I suspect there a few levers to pull that would keep the sabre rattling to just the rattling.

I am hoping China will stick with pragmatic self interest and leave Taiwan alone for another decade or so, as long as they don't feel like they are losing face. Military exercises are scheduled and run to completion, each side gets their message across and everybody gets to go home.

Optimist, yes but it keeps the sanity :)

Reactions: 3
There's a number of interesting balances that come into play if we are looking at countries and debts - this one isn't going anywhere soon and I suspect there a few levers to pull that would keep the sabre rattling to just the rattling.

I am hoping China will stick with pragmatic self interest and leave Taiwan alone for another decade or so, as long as they don't feel like they are losing face. Military exercises are scheduled and run to completion, each side gets their message across and everybody gets to go home.

Optimist, yes but it keeps the sanity :)
Agree, let's hope this is performative

There's plenty going on behind the scenes with regard to china/ Taiwan situation . Russia is poor , corrupt and rusty. However - it's people are brainwashed into thinking their nation is the best thing since sliced bread & they are right and the rest of the World are in the wrong.... . China will support Russia (as both nations are no friends of Western Civilisation). as they see a fellow allied that they can later take advantage of under their expansionist policy.
Ukraine wanting democracy ( and they have their faults- what Country doesn't?) and wanting to align themselves with Eastern European neighbours ( and further, with the Eu countries) for trade and help , rather than the old iron bloc , is what putin can't stand.
China's expansionist policy is now leading to other Countries worried over the ongoing Taiwan situation & shipping route trading etc. such as Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia to re-equip with newer military hardware and aircraft.
China has been building air force bases on small islands all over the south China seas.
Lots of Western companies are assisting the updating Nations , and especially in automatic surveillance systems , drones etc .
Indonesia are buying the Airbus Atlas transport aircraft....
Even Manila is buying helicopter gunships to re-equip.

russia and china are no friends of Western Civilisation.

Covid came from China, and look at the bloody havoc and deaths that's caused around the World in the last 2 1/2 years.
Defence costs a lot of money. I want to be defended. I want my children defended. We are very lucky here in Britain. We are heavily defended.
Others aren't so lucky.

Reactions: 6
I feel bad for the people in Ukraine and Taiwan, they were minding their own business.

It is a case as ever of poor people in rich countries who will freeze and starve this winter - funding corrupt rich people in poor countries.

I suspect Taiwan will settle down for a while and start up again when everyone is busy watching Iran.

I remember people laughing at Charlotte Church on Question time many years ago when she spoke about war over resources, yet here we are in Mexico they can't even buy bottled water in some shops, Venezuela has admitted they have a malnourished population.

I am no Trump fan, Germany laughed at him now they have to shut their manufacturing.

I remember people dismissing historians years ago who predicted end of Empire due to corruption, when people lie and feel virtuous about such basic things "the Emperor's got no clothes on" in the women's hospital wards attacking them and staff abuse her - you know society is lost, people go along with fashionable acceptable legal behaviour that is totally corrupt and immoral and they will go into attack rather then stop, most people colluded and destroyed everything yet they will not accept responsibility.

Yel

New thread

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.