UK Politics & Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting days continue

MPs on Monday seized control of the parliamentary timetable for a series of “indicative votes” on the next steps for Brexit – but Theresa May declined to say whether she would abide by the outcome.
An amendment tabled by former Tory minister Oliver Letwin passed, by 329 votes to 302, defeating the government, as MPs expressed their exasperation at its failure to set out a fresh approach.
Government sources confirmed that three ministers resigned from government in order to back the Letwin amendment: foreign affairs minister Alistair Burt, health minister Steve Brine and business minister Richard Harrington.In all, a total of 30 Tory MPs rebelled to vote for it.

Reactions: 2
its all gone pete tong unfortunately, especially after today. time will tell but fingers crossed MP's can put their own political agenda to one side and make a decision that is best for the country

I feel like this is never going to end... more debates over the next few months, more pathetic squabbling. Just can all of them work together and get the job done properly as as well as circumstances will allow, if we must still leave? Or in my own preference, forget the whole bloody thing every happened, but draw the line firmly under it all.

Reactions: 3
So in summary where we are: Con & Lab can’t agree in Brexit strategy. Local elections basically have told the big two to shove it and the Euro elections show a continent wide rise in populist, right wing parties spearheaded by Italy who at this point are going full blown eurosceptic

Happy Days! 😬😫

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Thought it might be a good idea to have a UK politics thread.

Boris Johnson is set to become the PM on Tuesday / Wednesday and people are resigning / defecting before they're pushed out. The Tory's could loose their working majority imminently.

Reactions: 1
Did anyone else receive a request to update their electoral information in the last few days? Either my Borough Council is 3 months more efficient than usual,. or else they anticipate an early General Election.

I’d be very surprised at a general election so close the brexit. Boris will want to go down in history as the pm who delivered Brexit. I think he will actually be a good pm. People are just quitting before they are sacked to save face x

I’d be very surprised at a general election so close the brexit. Boris will want to go down in history as the pm who delivered Brexit. I think he will actually be a good pm. People are just quitting before they are sacked to save face x
I highly doubt if Johnson can make a majority for his form of Brexit by 31 October. Parliament is about to go on holiday for 6 weeks, then after a brief return in September, it adjourns again for the Conference Season. Nice work if you can get it. So just a couple of weeks left in October to pass Brexit legislation - it won,t run. And the EU is now on holiday as well and the new Commission does not start officially until 01 November.

I doubt if 6 Tories are about to up sticks for the LibDems,. In reality, it comes down to whether Tory Remainers do actually stay true to their word and topple Johnson if it comes to it on the No Deal votes. My guess is they will be like the Tory ERG and cave in when they see the possibility of losing their seat, or a GE loss. but if I am wrong, there has to be a GE, because Johnson will have his ears pinned back by the ERG> He has boxed himself in.

It would be very interesting, if the financial consequences of this Tory civil war were not so grave.

i am afraid I disagree with your assessment of Johnson;s abilities.

Reactions: 4
I highly doubt if Johnson can make a majority for his form of Brexit by 31 October. Parliament is about to go on holiday for 6 weeks, then after a brief return in September, it adjourns again for the Conference Season. Nice work if you can get it. So just a couple of weeks left in October to pass Brexit legislation - it won,t run. And the EU is now on holiday as well and the new Commission does not start officially until 01 November.

I doubt if 6 Tories are about to up sticks for the LibDems,. In reality, it comes down to whether Tory Remainers do actually stay true to their word and topple Johnson if it comes to it on the No Deal votes. My guess is they will be like the Tory ERG and cave in when they see the possibility of losing their seat, or a GE loss. but if I am wrong, there has to be a GE, because Johnson will have his ears pinned back by the ERG> He has boxed himself in.

It would be very interesting, if the financial consequences of this Tory civil war were not so grave.

i am afraid I disagree with your assessment of Johnson;s abilities.
I wouldn’t call it an assessment of his abilities, mearly an opinion.

This Tory leadership announcement is like something you'd see for rushed GCSE biz studies presentation.

Seems like the start of a real tit show, borrowing more money, more tax cuts and increasing public spending.

I wouldn't want this job
Mr Johnson is expected to emerge victorious from a bruising six-week contest against Jeremy Hunt (pictured out running in London this morning)

Johnson 92k
Hunt 46k

Right off he should go to Brussels tomorrow and get this better deal he's been talking about 🚄

Last edited:
The EU 27 won't change the backstop, so the DUP will not vote for any cosmetic changes to the political agreement, As Johnson only currently has an overall majority of 3, he is therefore doomed, unless he can push through 'no deal'.

Since many Tory Remainers wont accept 'no deal' , Johnson would have to rely on Labour defectors and there will not be enough of them. As an aside, it was reported on TV yesterday that Johnson apparently went pale recently, when he was briefed that a consequence of 'no deal' will include civil unrest.

A general election therefore seems inevitable.