UK Politics #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mail headline. I don't understand why people are so furious? Wasn't this what many people who voted brexit wanted the whole time?

--

Fury at plan for Swiss-style Brexit: Ministers 'are considering closer ties with EU to enable frictionless flow of goods across borders - but NOT freedom of movement'

Reports suggest the government is considering a Swiss approach to help trade
But Tory Brexiteers are fuming and say it would be a 'betrayal' of Brexit freedoms
The Chancellor said the single market and freedom of movement is off the table
Jacob Rees-Mogg said such a Swiss-style deal would be 'Brexit in name only'
There was never an agreement on the details of Brexit. It varied from hard to soft. I think politicians preferred a soft Brexit but the voting public preferred a hard one because in their mind it meant a clean break from the EU.

Just over half of the people who voted (around 30% didn't vote at all) enacted a major political decision, then no one bothered to ask exactly what they wanted that decision to mean or look like.

It should have been mandated anyway but especially so, considering the split of the vote. It makes no sense that the electorate hasn't been consulted and the concept of Brexit still hasn't been settled on.

Going into the 7th year since the referendum and the 3rd year since our exit, no one - including MPs - can say what Brexit we have and what the final terms are.

Reactions: 14
Impressive that 6 years after the vote we (both newspapers, politicians, and previous posters) can still discuss what Britain should settle on as Brexit without paying the slightest bit of attention to the fact that the EU also has an opinion / position on the relationship, and stronger cards in negotiations.

Reactions: 10
Mad that more people aren't admitting what a colossal failure Brexit has been. We need to bring back both the single market and freedom of movement even if it doesn't mean re-entering the EU

Reactions: 14
Impressive that 6 years after the vote we (both newspapers, politicians, and previous posters) can still discuss what Britain should settle on as Brexit without paying the slightest bit of attention to the fact that the EU also has an opinion / position on the relationship, and stronger cards in negotiations.
Yes. I was going to add something similar but felt I was too wordy.

The majority of the changes we've had so far have been because of what the EU has imposed or will impose on us.

The agreements we've made haven't begun to take effect.

So much for sovereignty.

Reactions: 3
Mad that more people aren't admitting what a colossal failure Brexit has been. We need to bring back both the single market and freedom of movement even if it doesn't mean re-entering the EU
A Switzerland style situation is basically what the soft brexiteers wanted¹. But Cameron had no plan for what to do if Leave won and left it all to the hard-core to sort out the mess

¹source, I was one of them.

Reactions: 2
A Switzerland style situation is basically what the soft brexiteers wanted¹. But Cameron had no plan for what to do if Leave won and left it all to the hard-core to sort out the mess

¹source, I was one of them.
Unfortunately it's always the vocal minority of shouty grey haired white men over the age of 45 that get what they want

• Angry
Reactions: 13
Because some of the more extreme brexiteers have decided that anything short of complete isolationism a-la 19th century Japan is "Not Really Brexit" and that following any EU law is "vassalage".
Hubris Hubris is going to destroy us all. political vassalage the lies that Brexiteers were sold not there fault we all have regrets but this one is a big one. This maybe a massive distraction and we are missing something! we all need to move on as single parents and the days we are dysfunctional . ask ourselves if your comfortable with this if yes get on with and take responsibility. Just a thought l’m glad NASA is going back to moon to renew that warning sign on the dark side.
THIS PLANET WILL SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH
STAY WELL AWAY .

Reactions: 1
Northern Ireland is on the cusp of things kicking off again because of Brexit and the mess its created.
Does anyone in Westminster care? Anyone? No?
We have a prolific tweeter here shouting that he's an English man and declaring him and many like him are being subjugated and its going to lead to civil unrest. Help us. Nobody voted for it here.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Northern Ireland is on the cusp of things kicking off again because of Brexit and the mess its created.
Does anyone in Westminster care? Anyone? No?
We have a prolific tweeter here shouting that he's an English man and declaring him and many like him are being subjugated and its going to lead to civil unrest. Help us. Nobody voted for it here.
Ugh that's dreadful! Plus the new elections are coming up soon right? Yet again. Lord I wish politicians could be adults and treat NI and its citizens with the respect they are due.

Reactions: 3
Ugh that's dreadful! Plus the new elections are coming up soon right? Yet again. Lord I wish politicians could be adults and treat NI and its citizens with the respect they are due.
We had elections in May, those elections returned SF as the largest party for the first time, meaning they become first minister. A job title that means very little to be frank but the DUP wouldn't power share with them stating it was because of the protocol. It's nothing to do with the protocol 😥
The DUP are the tories on steroids a disaster zone of a party.
Elections haven't been confirmed as far as I know, possibly feb/March? But if the results are the same nothing will change anyway. I suppose if the DUP return a first minister post the protocol won't prevent them from entering government again.
I don't know whats being reported over there but since last week we've had a lot of disruption and attempts to kill people. It's bad and incredibly embarrassing.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
We had elections in May, those elections returned SF as the largest party for the first time, meaning they become first minister. A job title that means very little to be frank but the DUP wouldn't power share with them stating it was because of the protocol. It's nothing to do with the protocol 😥
The DUP are the tories on steroids a disaster zone of a party.
Elections haven't been confirmed as far as I know, possibly feb/March? But if the results are the same nothing will change anyway. I suppose if the DUP return a first minister post the protocol won't prevent them from entering government again.
I don't know whats being reported over there but since last week we've had a lot of disruption and attempts to kill people. It's bad and incredibly embarrassing.
DUP with there five point plan it looks very familiar building there grandfathers dreams nightmares for the sane .
they never want unity because they know they have no place in a strong and peaceful country. there whole ethos is based on conflict and winning no matter the personal sacrifice very sad l feel for your embarrassment . the Westminster tories think if they wish hard enough it will all magical go away. I ask a question who will benefits the most form unrest?

Reactions: 2
DUP with there five point plan it looks very familiar building there grandfathers dreams nightmares for the sane .
they never want unity because they know they have no place in a strong and peaceful country. there whole ethos is based on conflict and winning no matter the personal sacrifice very sad l feel for your embarrassment . the Westminster tories think if they wish hard enough it will all magical go away. I ask a question who will benefits the most form unrest?
Thank you for this, I think most in NI think people in the rest of the UK don't understand our political landscape but that's a fair analysis.
The answer is those who don't support the GFA will potentially benefit and there are factions on both sides who that applies to. Certain quarters will also say Westminster would rather we hate each other.
Most of us don't hate at all.

Reactions: 5
This was excruciatingly brilliant. Braverman gently led to the point of having to admit that there are no 'safe and legal routes' for many asylum seekers and that the only option open to them is to enter the country "illegally". A dilemma she smoothly dealt with by telling one of her staff to do it for her. Obviously lost for an answer once she couldn't divert the conversation by calling the questioner a member of the Corbyn loving, "tofu eating wokerati" as it was a member of her own party.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This was excruciatingly brilliant. Braverman gently led to the point of having to admit that there are no 'safe and legal routes' for many asylum seekers and that the only option open to them is to enter the country "illegally". A dilemma she smoothly dealt with by telling one of her staff to do it for her. Obviously lost for an answer once she couldn't divert the conversation by calling the questioner a member of the Corbyn loving, "tofu eating wokerati" as it was a member of her own party.

She is absolutely bleeping hopeless. And her flunky wasn’t much better. I’m shocked she actually deigned to turn up.
The most surprising thing is that the questioner, Tim Loughton, virtually always votes in the way he’s told and is not exactly known for being a woke, tofu-eating snowflake. What’s all this caring about vulnerable people fleeing from danger nonsense?

Reactions: 9

Oh, good news! I'm sure this will totally shift the narrative and messaging regarding refugees now!

I'm looking forward to the government letting it be in known that these people are illegal by pure circumstance and not because they are inherently criminals.

Let me just hold my breath and wait....

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.