House Prices

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We finally got our offer accepted on a house after looking for a year. I think it was just pure luck and coincidence, the people in the house can’t move out until February/March next year as their waiting on their new house being built and our lease for our rental isn’t up until then so we couldn’t move out till around that time anyway. We ended up in a bit of a bidding war for it but was so worth it, we’ve been renting for years and sick of it

• Heart
Reactions: 14
We finally got our offer accepted on a house after looking for a year. I think it was just pure luck and coincidence, the people in the house can’t move out until February/March next year as their waiting on their new house being built and our lease for our rental isn’t up until then so we couldn’t move out till around that time anyway. We ended up in a bit of a bidding war for it but was so worth it, we’ve been renting for years and sick of it
congrats 🎉 hope it all goes smoothly for you.

It looks like the bubble is slowly but surely deflating. Almost every single home had to get a price reduction and they are sitting longer on the market.

There are also a lot more homes under 100k. Compared to earlier this year when they would be sold for over 150k.

My hopes are up again🥳

Reactions: 6
I've noticed the same this week actually, although some of the reductions are pretty small and pointless.

Now the money taps are being turned off things seem a bit more logical. Although I'd probably still wait until early next year.

Reactions: 4
I saw a mortgage advisor on Tik Tok saying that valuations are coming back low, no wonder, houses are going on way over what theyre worth 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There’s definitely been a drop in prices here too. A lot less going on the market and they seem to be taking longer to shift!

I have seen a few flats I like but I still think they are hugely overpriced compared to pre COVID so going to hang on for another month or two before I start to view.

My dad pointed out the other day that the market does tend to slow over the winter anyway, so it will be interesting to see what happens to prices come spring 2022.

Reactions: 1
:rolleyes:

SAFE AS HOUSES Buy-to-let landlord, 22, who hopes to retire by 30 says there’s ‘no excuse’ for young people not owning their own homes

A 22-YEAR-old landlord says there's "no excuse" young people can't buy houses and he plans to semi-retire by the time he's 30.

Josh Parrott bought his first house for £115,000 when he was just 19, using money he saved up from two jobs he did between school lessons.

He then rented out the house while paying rent to his parents, saving enough to buy another one for £140,000, aged 21.

The savvy lad from Stockport, Greater Manchester, did a £20,000 revamp and saved money by doing most of the labour himself after work, increasing the value by £60,000.

He plans to move in soon and is already on the search for his third property.

Average property prices in the area are £272,226 according to Rightmove, with terrace homes going for £201,110.

The businessman plans to own ten properties - renting out nine - by the time he is 30, buying one a year so he can finally put his feet up and work when he fancies.

He was inspired after he did work experience at an estate agent as a child.

Josh said there is no reason young people can't afford to buy homes - but admits his mates said he was "boring" when he said no to drinks or buying new clothes.

"I'll slow down at 30, I can't retire completely then I'd be bored, but I'd like to get a sail-boat like my grandad and pop over to Italy for the odd six months.

"Or maybe I'll be a stay-at-home dad.

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 3
Although the amount of money wasted someone should be held accountable….but they won’t be of course just billions squandered that could have been put to better use elsewhere
They’ve completed wrecked my home town with it too. Absolutely criminal. It’s not even stopping anywhere near my home town - and they’ve taken out acres and acres of green belt land for it too.

“"I'll slow down at 30, I can't retire completely then I'd be bored, but I'd like to get a sail-boat like my grandad and pop over to Italy for the odd six months.”

😂 he has very unrealistic expectations on the (net) rental yields those two £120k properties will get him 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Articles like this are so misleading. He wouldn’t have got a mortgage at 19 - unless he had a large deposit and a guarantor. What kind of job did he have at 19 that the lender based the decision on? What a load of garbage. Josh Parrott has well off parents and that’s about it.

Reactions: 9
So when he was 19 he managed to save up a sizeable amount all by himself to either get a BTL mortgage or buy it outright by working part time in between studies? Aren’t btl mortgages a bit harder to get? What jobs was he doing to earn that much part time? Something doesn’t add up here. If it was that easy everyone would do it.

I love how these articles always have to throw in a little dig about how much they’ve ‘sacrificed’ compared to their mates who just fritter money away on booze and clothes. As if they are the only young person in the world to have saved up for a house and everyone else is just dumb and bringing it on themselves🙄

There’s nothing worse than smug people who own multiple properties banging on about how easy it is to get on the property ladder. They are part of the problem.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Refinery29 has an incredible series about how people can afford homes. And almost 99% of them have stories such as "My grandparents gave me 100k" or " my parents gave me 50k" completely ridiculous.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.