TV crime/thriller series (fiction)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unbelievable is fantastic. I thought the first episode was slow and nearly gave up but Merritt Wever changed the game for me. Never seen her in anything before but she was mesmerising in this. Excellent. Should have won way more awards than it did.

Would also recommend....

The Tunnel (Sky) - first series is the British/French version of The Bridge (which I've never seen) - after that, the other two series are original stories. Stephen Dillane & Clémence Poésy are excellent together as the leads and I cared so much about Karl & Elise's friendship that it made me cry (a lot)

Cardinal - all four seasons should still be on iPlayer. Canadian take on Nordic crime thrillers. Again, I was so invested in the relationship between the two leads, played by Billy Campbell & Karina Vanasse. Actually still feel a bit bereft it's over. First season is pretty grim if you don't like watching torture (I don't)

Black Spot (Zone Blanche) - French crime/mystery series. Three series on Netflix. In fact, any French crime drama generally gets my vote.

Manhunt - one of ITV's takes on "true crime" - this one is about Levi Bellfield and was surprisingly really gripping even though I know the story. Little Boy Blue was also very good. I haven't watched A Confession or White House Farm.

When They See Us - Netflix. Not watched it myself (it's on my list) but it won a ton of awards (stole them off Chernobyl and Unbelievable) It's a drama about the real life wrongful conviction of five black youths for the assault and rape of a white female jogger in New York.

Luther - I've watched every single episode right from when it started and I've enjoyed it but it's not realistic at all. He's just another on the verge of a mental breakdown cop playing by his own rules (as they all are)

As someone else has said, the first season of True Detective is excellent. Haven't watched any of the others so can't comment but the second one was absolutely panned.
Thanks for mentioning black spot, I love world cinema/tv and love French stuff so I’ll give that one a go. I don’t have sky so can’t watch the tunnel but I loved the bridge, think it’s still on iplayer

Reactions: 1
Another vote for The Tunnel. Best thing I’ve ever watched. Was late to the party and only E1 of S2 as there was nothing else on and after 10 minutes I was addicted!!! Sat and watched S3 in one go when it was released and cried like a baby.

Reactions: 2
Another vote for The Tunnel. Best thing I’ve ever watched. Was late to the party and only E1 of S2 as there was nothing else on and after 10 minutes I was addicted!!! Sat and watched S3 in one go when it was released and cried like a baby.
There's this scene in the final episode where....

Karl walks into the French police room and gets hugged by Phillippe. He then takes this little step back to compose himself and carries on walking. It's just such a perfect scene. In fact, there are so many scenes in that final episode that get me but that one in particular very single time. I cried like a baby too

I've never seen Stephen Dillane in anything before - now, I just want to see him in everything. What a fantastic actor. There are just so many little scenes with Karl and Elise that I adore - it's their relationship that drove The Tunnel, not really the crimes they were investigating in my opinion. Oh, I just loved it.

Thanks for mentioning black spot, I love world cinema/tv and love French stuff so I’ll give that one a go. I don’t have sky so can’t watch the tunnel but I loved the bridge, think it’s still on iplayer
I'd recommend Into The Night as well on Netflix which is Belgian - that came out earlier this year. It's more drama/sci fi but still really good. Second season has been ordered.

• Heart
Lots of good ones mentioned here like True Detective, Mindhunter, The Sinner (season 1)

I also love Manhunt Unabomber - focuses on the capturing of the unabomber in the US.

Sharp Objects is good; dark psychological thriller, based off the book by Gillian Flynn (she also wrote Gone Girl).

Reactions: 3
Has anyone been watching Des on itv?
Really good so far... I’m not really sure what they can do with it, other than show off their acting talent. Unless people aren’t familiar with the case but I’d expect anyone over 40 would be and I don’t think it’s really aimed at the 20 somethings.

Really good so far... I’m not really sure what they can do with it, other than show off their acting talent. Unless people aren’t familiar with the case but I’d expect anyone over 40 would be and I don’t think it’s really aimed at the 20 somethings.
I’m a 20 something and love it lol. All of the 40 somethings I work with love it too, but they had never actually heard of the case which I was quite surprised at as I knew it in depth. My mum had never heard of it either

Reactions: 4
I’m a 20 something and love it lol. All of the 40 somethings I work with love it too, but they had never actually heard of the case which I was quite surprised at as I knew it in depth. My mum had never heard of it either
I’m 40 and never heard of this case so bit of a discovery for me. In some parts it reminds me of Fred and Rose West, but I’m from Gloucester, I remember the story breaking when I was a teen.

I’m 40 and never heard of this case so bit of a discovery for me. In some parts it reminds me of Fred and Rose West, but I’m from Gloucester, I remember the story breaking when I was a teen.
Yes sorry, perhaps I was being a bit short sighted. We knew a lot about it due to it being close to home as it were. So it’s more geographic than age, and of course personal interest

Last edited:
Disaprue is good. I found it on BBC4 on iplayer. It's in French.
Ooooo I’ll give that a look, I always find the world dramas bbc 4 put on are very good. I remember few years ago watching a Spanish one where a girl goes missing, but can’t for the life of me remember what is was called.

Ooooo I’ll give that a look, I always find the world dramas bbc 4 put on are very good. I remember few years ago watching a Spanish one where a girl goes missing, but can’t for the life of me remember what is was called.
this is about a girl going missing too.

The Sinner (season 1) is amazing. Really hooks you in.
Line of Duty
Doctor Foster
I got about 4 episodes in to the fall and gave up.. Can't get on with it.
I am watching The sinner at the moment. Really good. Everything you've listed I enjoyed watching. Can't believe you gave up on The Fall. I would go back to it...
I enjoyed The Missing that had me hooked. The Missing second series was brilliant.

Im watching The Fall just now and love it! Gillian Anderson is so good in it and Jamie Dornan too 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've started watching Dirty John series 1. I am shocked this is based on a true story. Just Wow!!