TTC and things aren't going to plan..

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been trying for a baby for over a year now and every month my period comes on time like clockwork!
I started using a tracking app and testing for ovulation days and basal body temperature.

To begin with my ovulation tests would test positively indicating my peak ovulation periods on the predicted days and I still wouldn't conceive.

I went to the doctors, they were pretty useless tbh although they did do a blood test and the results came back fine other than a vitamin D deficiency and low iron levels. I was told these have no impact on trying to conceive.

The last 2 months I am not getting "peak" results from my ovulation tests, I will get a couple of faint positive lines and wondering whether this indicates I'm not ovulating??

What did they test on your bloods?
They said it was hormone testing?
The Doctor called me with the results and said that there was nothing indicating any reasons I can't get pregnant as everything was "within normal limits" and that I have a Vitamin D deficiency and very low Iron levels.

There’s a couple of tests they should be doing if it’s been over a year. The first is day 1 blood tests- on day 1 of your period or as close to it as possible. The second is blood tests just after predicted ovulation date, to determine if you’re ovulating. Unfortunately, I’m not sure these tests are going to be high on the list for a referral at the moment. The best thing you can do is keep tracking temperature, testing for ovulation on the most likely days

Reactions: 1
There’s a couple of tests they should be doing if it’s been over a year. The first is day 1 blood tests- on day 1 of your period or as close to it as possible. The second is blood tests just after predicted ovulation date, to determine if you’re ovulating. Unfortunately, I’m not sure these tests are going to be high on the list for a referral at the moment. The best thing you can do is keep tracking temperature, testing for ovulation on the most likely days
Well initially they told me I don't qualify for any help with trying to conceive due to me already having a child but I went back to see a different doctor who booked me in for the blood tests, this was over a month ago now.
I am just fishing for advice really as I know with the current crisis I wont be a priority. I don't know anyone who has had any experience in having trouble conceiving.

Hey,
I’v been ttc 13 months now. Saw doctor last month. Had blood tests and internal ultrasound. Mine too came back all fine, nothing indicating any problems. Oh was suppose to have his checks done this month but obviously been postponed till August now.
I was told by the doctor who saw me (before OHs test got postponed) that if we had no luck by August to come back to her. Not sure if that was for further testing or to start a referral for help.
Anyway.... I was using one step opks off amazon, all fine for first few months. Then I stopped getting a peak. However my bbt was going up and I get terrible cramping around ovulation time. But just no peak.
I have since swapped to onestep opks on amazon and every month I get a clear peak exactly when I get my other ovulation signs.

prehaps change brand. I recommend easy@home, And use the premom app to read them.
I honestly think the batch of onestep (I brought a bulk stash) were off and weren’t detecting the peak. and I really think we wasted months when I gave up hope that cycle, and also stressed so so much I wasn’t seeing a peak. I have slight irregular cycles (between 29-39 days) so I ovulate between cd 16-25)
Do you track your bbt?? Do you get any bloating or cramping around when you think you ovulate?

When are you targeting your doing-the-deed to? Needs to be in the run up to ovulation, ideally the day before and day of, have you tried sperm meets egg plan?

Hey,
I’v been ttc 13 months now. Saw doctor last month. Had blood tests and internal ultrasound. Mine too came back all fine, nothing indicating any problems. Oh was suppose to have his checks done this month but obviously been postponed till August now.
I was told by the doctor who saw me (before OHs test got postponed) that if we had no luck by August to come back to her. Not sure if that was for further testing or to start a referral for help.
Anyway.... I was using one step opks off amazon, all fine for first few months. Then I stopped getting a peak. However my bbt was going up and I get terrible cramping around ovulation time. But just no peak.
I have since swapped to onestep opks on amazon and every month I get a clear peak exactly when I get my other ovulation signs.

prehaps change brand. I recommend easy@home, And use the premom app to read them.
I honestly think the batch of onestep (I brought a bulk stash) were off and weren’t detecting the peak. and I really think we wasted months when I gave up hope that cycle, and also stressed so so much I wasn’t seeing a peak. I have slight irregular cycles (between 29-39 days) so I ovulate between cd 16-25)
Do you track your bbt?? Do you get any bloating or cramping around when you think you ovulate?
Thanks for your reply!
My cycle is consistent and my period starts the day it should and I get all the signs for ovulation every month but not a peak result and I do track my BBT but I never have a temperature rise with the other symptoms.

Thanks for your reply!
My cycle is consistent and my period starts the day it should and I get all the signs for ovulation every month but not a peak result and I do track my BBT but I never have a temperature rise with the other symptoms.
I believe the blood test they do on cd 23 shows if you are ovulating. Did they send you for that?

When are you targeting your doing-the-deed to? Needs to be in the run up to ovulation, ideally the day before and day of, have you tried sperm meets egg plan?
The app i use (femometer) gives days that we should and it is every other day in the fertile window and then the day before, the day of and the day after my ovulation day. We did that for about 9 months with no luck and then started every day of the fertile window.

I believe the blood test they do on cd 23 shows if you are ovulating. Did they send you for that?
No, they haven't referred me for any further testing as the doctor who called me back with my first round of blood tests basically told me everything was fine and to continue to have regular sex 😅

The app i use (femometer) gives days that we should and it is every other day in the fertile window and then the day before, the day of and the day after my ovulation day. We did that for about 9 months with no luck and then started every day of the fertile window.
Ok well you are doing everything you can in that regard, did the blood tests confirm if you were ovulating? Has your OH has sperm analysis done? He could take a good vitamin supplement to help improve sperm quality for now, if it helps you feel any better a couple I know where actively ttc for 2.5 years before they got a positive, another lady I know was trying for 2 years before getting pregnant, they were both about to start ivf for unexplained infertility, some couples just take a lot longer but get there in the end

I went to the doctors a few months ago we had been trying over a year for a second and the dr was also pretty useless. All he said was ovulation sticks don’t always work and booked me in for a blood and urine test that came back fine. In the end I put it to the back of my mind, didn’t use ov stick, didn’t track my cycle or plan the deed. I’m now pregnant and it must have happened around Christmas when I was drinking, at home and happy. I wish you all the best and if you’re healthy and the tests are ok then you have every chance x

Ok well you are doing everything you can in that regard, did the blood tests confirm if you were ovulating? Has your OH has sperm analysis done? He could take a good vitamin supplement to help improve sperm quality for now, if it helps you feel any better a couple I know where actively ttc for 2.5 years before they got a positive, another lady I know was trying for 2 years before getting pregnant, they were both about to start ivf for unexplained infertility, some couples just take a lot longer but get there in the end
I don't believe any of the blood taken confirmed my ovulation as it wasn't on a specific day of my cycle. They took 6 tubes of blood and said they were hormone tests, when the doctor called me with results he didn't really answer many of my questions, seemed very rushed and just said everything was fine apart from my Iron and Vitamin D levels and then said he worked in a fertility clinic and that I just need to have regular sex. My OH is at a different doctors surgery than me and we agreed to go to the doctors just as the current crisis began so unfortunately was told we would have to wait for his tests, which is 100% right and understandable.
We will now both start to take a supplement of vitamins and see where that takes us.

I went to the doctors a few months ago we had been trying over a year for a second and the dr was also pretty useless. All he said was ovulation sticks don’t always work and booked me in for a blood and urine test that came back fine. In the end I put it to the back of my mind, didn’t use ov stick, didn’t track my cycle or plan the deed. I’m now pregnant and it must have happened around Christmas when I was drinking, at home and happy. I wish you all the best and if you’re healthy and the tests are ok then you have every chance x
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!
I was starting to feel very stressed about it tbh and wanted to take time off from the testing, tracking and focus on getting pregnant for a while but with the plan in the back of my mind of going to the doctors I wanted to have a consistent amount of information for them (not that they at all listened to me lol) so I think I will be doing the same thing now and just take a break.

Sorry if this is too personal, but what birth control were you on before ttc?
I only ask cos I used to be on the injection but came off it even though not ttc yet as they say it can delay your fertility coming back for up to 18 months. So could possibly be lingering effects of that?

Sorry you're going through this and that at the moment you can't get medical answers xx

I would say that personally, the ovulation kits weren't very helpful for me. Really you need to have done the deed before or just at ovulation, so by the time rhe kit detects ovulation you've missed the window.

Tracking your temp is the most accurate way, but you need a few months of data in an app (I used fertility friend) before you get an accurate picture of when the best time for you is.

And I know it isn't for everyone, but monitoring your discharge is really helpful too.

Best of luck. TTC was very stressful, so I feel your pain 😘

Sorry if this is too personal, but what birth control were you on before ttc?
I only ask cos I used to be on the injection but came off it even though not ttc yet as they say it can delay your fertility coming back for up to 18 months. So could possibly be lingering effects of that?

Sorry you're going through this and that at the moment you can't get medical answers xx
I had the implant for a year and then had that taken out (it made me periods last for more than 2 weeks) and I was put on the pill Cerazette with I took for 18 months, which I stopped taking completely last February (I wasn't taking it everyday for about 3 months prior to this)

I would say that personally, the ovulation kits weren't very helpful for me. Really you need to have done the deed before or just at ovulation, so by the time rhe kit detects ovulation you've missed the window.

Tracking your temp is the most accurate way, but you need a few months of data in an app (I used fertility friend) before you get an accurate picture of when the best time for you is.

And I know it isn't for everyone, but monitoring your discharge is really helpful too.

I have been tracking everything on Femometer since last August. My temperature is always all over the place so I find it difficult to use that.
I have recently started monitoring my discharge too.
It all just feels so clinical 😅😩

Ovulation tests don’t detect ovulation, they detect the hormone known as LH which surges around a day or two before you ovulate! So once you get that surge you should start doing the deed as you’re likely to ovulate in the coming days! X

Ovulation tests don’t detect ovulation, they detect the hormone known as LH which surges around a day or two before you ovulate! So once you get that surge you should start doing the deed as you’re likely to ovulate in the coming days! X
Apologies, ignore what I put then as it's been a few years and my minds obviously foggy. I do know mine never tied up with what my temp was doing so I gave up on them.

I had the implant for a year and then had that taken out (it made me periods last for more than 2 weeks) and I was put on the pill Cerazette with I took for 18 months, which I stopped taking completely last February (I wasn't taking it everyday for about 3 months prior to this)

I have been tracking everything on Femometer since last August. My temperature is always all over the place so I find it difficult to use that.
I have recently started monitoring my discharge too.
It all just feels so clinical 😅😩
Do you take it at the same time every day, as soon as you wake up and before you get out of bed? I sat my thermometer on top of my alarm so it was the first thing I touched in the morning!

But you're right, ttc sucks the joy out of the experience. I was so stressed, then got pregnant only to miscarry. So I stopped all the charting etc for a few months, and that's when I got pregnant with my middle son.

Ohhh I see I assumed my peak result was me ovulating so that was the day, so I have pretty much been doing the opposite!
This is very helpful, thank you so much for sharing!!

Apologies, ignore what I put then as it's been a few years and my minds obviously foggy. I do know mine never tied up with what my temp was doing so I gave up on them.

Do you take it at the same time every day, as soon as you wake up and before you get out of bed? I sat my thermometer on top of my alarm so it was the first thing I touched in the morning!

But you're right, ttc sucks the joy out of the experience. I was so stressed, then got pregnant only to miscarry. So I stopped all the charting etc for a few months, and that's when I got pregnant with my middle son.
I don't take my temperature in the morning, it is usually before I go to sleep, as my app kept telling me I was being inconsistent with times..Should it be as soon as I wake up?

Sorry to hear you miscarried, but yes definitely causes a lot of stress when it isnt all going to plan and seems like the world and their mom are getting pregnant without effort Haha. I try not to feel badly about it but it is such a slap in the face. I definitely feel more relaxed about it now though!

Ohhh I see I assumed my peak result was me ovulating so that was the day, so I have pretty much been doing the opposite!
This is very helpful, thank you so much for sharing!!

I don't take my temperature in the morning, it is usually before I go to sleep, as my app kept telling me I was being inconsistent with times..Should it be as soon as I wake up?

Sorry to hear you miscarried, but yes definitely causes a lot of stress when it isnt all going to plan and seems like the world and their mom are getting pregnant without effort Haha. I try not to feel badly about it but it is such a slap in the face. I definitely feel more relaxed about it now though!
Yeah it should be first thing, as its your basal temp (temp when fully at rest) that will give you the accurate reading. And it has to be the same time each day, so I even took it at 6am at weekends (and went back to sleep after!) as that's the time I got up for work all through the week.