Trigeminal neuralgia.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone here have this condition?

I've been having on and off pain in the left side of my face, mainly around my cheek and jaw for the past month or so. Not too bad but recently it's constant, very painful and is making me miserable. I already am prescribed pregabalin for something else and find this dulls it down a bit. Thought it was a dental issue but no problems there, does make eating difficult though as I can feel the pain in my teeth, jaw, cheek and a constant feeling of something stimulating the nerves in my cheek despite nothing touching it. I'll be going to the drs when I can, but in the meantime how do you deal with nerve pain? (even if not this condition, what helps you deal with the pain)

It's also called suicide disease because it's that painful and that terrifies me.

I experience it occasionally as part of having MS.

For me, it presents itself in two ways - either a very sharp, stabbing, excruciating pain in my ear (but it's probably actually my jawline) which makes me cry out. It's what I imagine a red hot poker jabbed into you for a second at regular intervals feels like. It last for a day or so normally. The other is more recent and like a dull to sometimes sharp pain running across my cheekbones. That's more of a constant when it happens but, again, it doesn't last long - a day or so.

So far, it's really not been that much of an issue as it doesn't happen very often and is intermittent when it does. I also take Pregabalin for other nerve damage, which helps me massively, but that doesn't touch the TN when it happens. Neither does Amitriptyline. When some of my other nerve pain is really bad - Pregabalin and Amtripyline seem to work on different areas of my body 🤷🏻‍♀️ - I just take more Amitriptyline and it knocks me out so I don't have to deal with it. I don't take it a lot, only when I need to, because it numbs everything including my emotions. My new neurologist is really pushing for me to stay on it permanently, as you really should, but I'm not going to. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

I couldn't imagine it being constant. I hope you get some help from your GP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I experience it occasionally as part of having MS.

For me, it presents itself in two ways - either a very sharp, stabbing, excruciating pain in my ear (but it's probably actually my jawline) which makes me cry out. It's what I imagine a red hot poker jabbed into you for a second at regular intervals feels like. It last for a day or so normally. The other is more recent and like a dull to sometimes sharp pain running across my cheekbones. That's more of a constant when it happens but, again, it doesn't last long - a day or so.

So far, it's really not been that much of an issue as it doesn't happen very often and is intermittent when it does. I also take Pregabalin for other nerve damage, which helps me massively, but that doesn't touch the TN when it happens. Neither does Amitriptyline. When some of my other nerve pain is really bad - Pregabalin and Amtripyline seem to work on different areas of my body 🤷🏻‍♀️ - I just take more Amitriptyline and it knocks me out so I don't have to deal with it. I don't take it a lot, only when I need to, because it numbs everything including my emotions. My new neurologist is really pushing for me to stay on it permanently, as you really should, but I'm not going to. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

I couldn't imagine it being constant. I hope you get some help from your GP.
Thanks for your response I've been feeling so alone with this.

It feels exactly the same for me, except it hasn't gone away and I'm losing sleep over this. Started as the odd stabbing pain and weird tingly feelings in my cheek. It's a sharp pain from the ear for me, across my cheek and down my jaw now, and then the weird sensation in my cheek every now and again. It comes in waves every few minutes so it'll dull down then right back up again. It's only just easing off now after a few days. Awful stuff and I don't want it to become too debilitating. I also read it's pretty rare in under 40's and the outlook is poorer so that's not reassuring at all.

Yeah I'm faced with the same issue in regards to pregabalin. Can't see why it wouldn't work but it really makes little difference. Not tried Amitryptyline but it's also an antidepressant and I just started taking fluoxetine not long back for depression so unsure if it's an option. I'm definitely open too it although drowsy and emotionless doesn't sound fun. Definitely don't continue with something that makes you feel rubbish, I'm sure there's other options available.

I hope so too, I don't want to be in this much pain when it's bad it's unbearable.