Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I get micro blading, I pull at my eyebrows, the only time I don’t is after micro blading whilst they are healing. Got my yearly top up done on Tuesday and keep having to stop myself.
It’s a very hard thing to stop doing I feel for you it’s not something I would wish on anyone to deal with but I hope the micro blading helped you feel more confident.

Reactions: 1
I went through a manic episode of Trich when I was a teen that left me with a huge bald spot which caused an unbearable amount of bullying. I think I still have PTSD from it.

Reactions: 2
Thank you so much I really appreciate you replying to this thread! it’s reassuring to know there’s other people who struggle with this including the eyebrow lady you went to that sounds a very good experience for you to have someone who understood. I love that she took her time mapping them out for you and you were happy with the results. It is something I am considering but I’ve always got nervous about going through with it but I think if it’s anything like your experience it would make it a lot easier. I would be grateful for the brow lady you recommend someone who wouldn’t judge and is nice cause I’ve been so used to being stared at or judged for how I look that I think that’s part of the reason I never got micro blading before but I know once I get it done it’ll help me feel better about myself.
I think if you are considering it, you should go for it! It has really helped with my self-consciousness.

Have had trichotillomania since age 8 (I'm 29 now), and it was when I was about 20 that I started talking openly about it and not being embarrassed to tell friends that I had it. My loved ones are very kind and have reassured me over the years that they don't even notice it, especially when I have my brows done and am wearing eyeliner. It helps to remember that when you are speaking to people, they notice other things like the words you're saying, your actions, your facial expressions, more than they notice your brows! We always hyper focus on these things ourselves, but they are far less noticeable to others. ❤

Edit: My brow lady is http://www.semi-permanent-make-up-bristol.co.uk/ !

• Heart
I went through a manic episode of Trich when I was a teen that left me with a huge bald spot which caused an unbearable amount of bullying. I think I still have PTSD from it.
I’m in my early 20’s and it’s crazy the bullying can stick with you it does cause PTSD unfortunately and I’m so sorry you went through that too. Sometimes I think why can’t I just get over it fully but I think it’s one of those things that is incredibly difficult to just get over. My heart goes out to you trich is hard to battle.

I think if you are considering it, you should go for it! It has really helped with my self-consciousness.

Have had trichotillomania since age 8 (I'm 29 now), and it was when I was about 20 that I started talking openly about it and not being embarrassed to tell friends that I had it. My loved ones are very kind and have reassured me over the years that they don't even notice it, especially when I have my brows done and am wearing eyeliner. It helps to remember that when you are speaking to people, they notice other things like the words you're saying, your actions, your facial expressions, more than they notice your brows! We always hyper focus on these things ourselves, but they are far less noticeable to others. ❤

Edit: My brow lady is http://www.semi-permanent-make-up-bristol.co.uk/ !
Honestly you and the others replying has made me want to look back into microblading cause I know once I get it done I’ll be glad I did it and it’s helped hearing you’ve been through the same thing so thank you for sharing that with me.
It shows how serious trich is that it can be there all these years and I’m so glad you have loved ones who reassured you and were nice about it. I feel like my family are so used to me having it and looking this way that they don’t comment on it cause they know how hard of a struggle it is for me. That’s a really good way to think about it people notice so many other things about us more than our eyebrows.

---

@Mr Sparkle thank you very much for the link to your eyebrow lady I really do appreciate it!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Does anyone who pulls their eyelashes go to the opticians? I don't have any lashes, they do start to grow but as soon as they do I pull them again. My eyesight is really bad and I need glasses but I can't bring myself to go. Can you wear false lashes for an eye test?

I try and keep up with having lash infills, because I find the only time I pull my lashes is out is when I haven’t spent any money on them 🤣 It’s quite hard work trying to find the time for constant upkeep with a baby and a 4 yo, I’ve not had time recently so I’m currently sporting a completely bald left eye.

I just noticed this thread. I've pulled at my eyebrows for years. Idk why. I don't pull them until they're bald though. I can see from this thread it's a definite problem for some people though :(

I just noticed this thread. I've pulled at my eyebrows for years. Idk why. I don't pull them until they're bald though. I can see from this thread it's a definite problem for some people though :(
Honestly I’m grateful I found this thread cause I don’t know anyone personally who has trich so to know I’m not the only who struggles with it helps. I know for me even after pulling my eyebrows hair out and I would feel sad about how I looked I still have never been able to stop doing it completely. It’s something I wish was more spoken about.

• Sad
So glad this thread exists. As a child, I used to like pulling feathers out of pillows. Then started pulling out my hair (feel its related but maybe not). I’ll run my hands through and find a hair that feels a little different, whether it’s a different length or texture, and pull it out. Does anyone else do it like this?

I used to do my body hair a lot too, especially around my hoo-haa, but now I’ve had laser hair removal so I can’t anymore, win/win

During Covid, I was pulling every day. I definitely pull more during times of anxiety. I noticed I do it a lot during meetings (esp my eyelashes). Even if it’s just running my hands through to pull later, so Ihave to make myself stop because of how unprofessional it looks
Same here, I think it is anxiety related. I absent mindedly feel around for the occasional hair with different texture against the rest of my smooth hair and I have to yank it out. I am mid 30s now but I did have a time in my teen years where I had a hidden bald patch the size of a large coin , it was exam season. Took ages to grow back so for that year I always had my scraped back in a bun and refused to have my hair cut in case my secret was discovered. Thankfully since I haven't pulled hair in one spot but when i get stressed i pull a few random hairs before I realise what I am doing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Radio 4 had a feature about Trich, women’s hour, 7th July. I found it on BBC sounds Women’s hour from 26.20. It is a very balanced interview with a neuroscientist who also has Trich.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Radio 4 had a feature about Trich, women’s hour, 7th July. I found it on BBC sounds Women’s hour from 26.20. It is a very balanced interview with a neuroscientist who also has Trich.
Very kind of you to share this here , I’ll definitely give this a listen!