Trichotillmania (Hair pulling disorder)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone else noticed that far more men than women have beautiful eyelashes? It’s not fair, we’re the ones who need them!

Also do any other skin pickers like to watch popping vids on YouTube?
both my sons have the most amazing eyelashes, what is with that?

Reactions: 1
Has anyone else noticed that far more men than women have beautiful eyelashes? It’s not fair, we’re the ones who need them!

Also do any other skin pickers like to watch popping vids on YouTube?
I don’t- because I know they would trigger me.
It’s an odd thing. A bit like self harm. I’m also vulnerable to drink and drugs. All a bit picking away.

Reactions: 3
I have this too, I've had it since I was about 11 I think. I use the "twirl and snap" technique. I know it's awful, I wish I could stop.

• Sad
Yes I have been doing this since I was about 12/13. I always pull thick wirey hairs out from all over my scalp, it started when I found a really long and thick white hair and pulled it out. I’m also a nail biter 😕

• Sad
I have anxiety and from the time I was about 8 years old I started twirling my hair and now I’m in my late 30s and still do. It gets bad a times to where I start getting bald patches on the sides of my head because of it. I have to keep my hair up most of the time to keep it controllable, but I cannot stop it. My mom used to make fun of me for doing it hoping it would make me stop but it didn’t work. 😕 It’s something that doesn’t get talked about. I know it isn’t exactly the same as pulling hair out hard but it leaves the same affect I think.

Oh wow. I do this. But more so I'm a skin picker. It's got a lot worse in lockdown. I pick my lips mainly. I continually pick and it's really hard to stop.

Me too! I think it all started when I had nits in school, constantly checking my hair and scalp. I get coarse strands of hair and always go for them. Im more of a biter & picker though, fingers & scalp.
I developed it aged about 14 probably due to stress and I am a fidget so I don't realise i do it half the time. When i was 15 i did have a proper bald patch so i hid it by wearing hair permanently in a bun and slicked over with gel so it wouldn't reveal. Took a year to grow back. I still pull a few hairs a day as am sat at my desk and it is a really hard habit to break. I don't get bald patches now but the hairline around my temples is a bit thinner. I also seem to find the coarser hairs that have a bit more of a texture and then pull them...terrible I know. I'm in my 30s now.

Yes I have been doing this since I was about 12/13. I always pull thick wirey hairs out from all over my scalp, it started when I found a really long and thick white hair and pulled it out. I’m also a nail biter 😕
Omg, this! I don't know what it is about the thicker hairs but if they have a bit of texture I seem to have to pull them. For context I have long and light coloured straight hair but occasionally find white or black hair with a wiry texture. I don't know if it is linked with stress or is some latent self grooming exercise. I wish I could stop.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
This lady does it too I found this video really comforting to watch

So reassuring to read this thread! I’ve never spoken to anyone about these things before. My family/partner see and encourage me to stop but it’s so difficult. Been picking my scalp/face and tying the ends of my hair in knots/ripping it out every day for maybe 10+ years now. I’ve no idea why it started. My face is scarred and my scalp is always so sore, it hurts to brush my hair and I’m embarrassed when I go to the hairdresser etc, I pick and pick until it bleeds and then repick when it scabs over.

• Heart
So reassuring to read this thread! I’ve never spoken to anyone about these things before. My family/partner see and encourage me to stop but it’s so difficult. Been picking my scalp/face and tying the ends of my hair in knots/ripping it out every day for maybe 10+ years now. I’ve no idea why it started. My face is scarred and my scalp is always so sore, it hurts to brush my hair and I’m embarrassed when I go to the hairdresser etc, I pick and pick until it bleeds and then repick when it scabs over.
I do the same. You arent alone in this. Xx

I’ve never really thought about it like this but I obsess over and pull out any greys I see. I know it’s not good but I just can’t stop.

I suffer from this. I remember my older sister noticing I was pulling my eyes lashes and hair out and called me a freak. I steer clear of my face and head but pluck my arm pits and arms and my downstairs hair.

• Sad
I’m very thankful to the starter of this thread. So much I relate to that I thought I was alone in. Lots of love to you all 💓

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I pick my scalp/face, my scalp is especially always sore and my hair is thinning a lot. Such a big insecurity i have sadly. I'm only in my mid twenties and it makes me so sad to see others my age styling their hair and then there's me ashamed of my gaping hair part 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I wear wigs a lot so I don't pull at my hair often (have noticed I do when I'm not) but I find so much joy in pulling any stray hairs from my chin, I compulsively check for them and honestly it gives me a thrill. Same with the trail of hair on my belly button.
More gross and one I haven't shared is public hair, I try and keep it short though so that I don't constantly pull. Obviously I only do this at home and I don't even think about doing it but it's bad!

I wear wigs a lot so I don't pull at my hair often (have noticed I do when I'm not) but I find so much joy in pulling any stray hairs from my chin, I compulsively check for them and honestly it gives me a thrill. Same with the trail of hair on my belly button.
More gross and one I haven't shared is public hair, I try and keep it short though so that I don't constantly pull. Obviously I only do this at home and I don't even think about doing it but it's bad!
Can I ask, do you wear wigs due to trich or for another reason? I’d love to get a decent wig but they’re so £££ and any cheap ones I have tried I’ve hated cos they are itchy etc and couldn’t imagine wearing them all the time.

Also, you’re not alone on the other stuff! I obsessively check my chin and lip and tweeze hairs out even though it causes spots :( where I’ve had to break the skin to get them out.

Can I ask, do you wear wigs due to trich or for another reason? I’d love to get a decent wig but they’re so £££ and any cheap ones I have tried I’ve hated cos they are itchy etc and couldn’t imagine wearing them all the time.

Also, you’re not alone on the other stuff! I obsessively check my chin and lip and tweeze hairs out even though it causes spots :( where I’ve had to break the skin to get them out.
No just for protective styling for my natural hair, I have afro 4c hair so I try and leave it alone as much as possible! Have you tried wearing a wig cap? also known as stocking cap? But yeah they can be so expensive, I switch my hair up by wearing braids etc but not for too long because then I do start pulling again.

And yep, I've done the broken skin thing, I cannot seem to stop myself even though I know I shouldn't/

Me too! I think it all started when I had nits in school, constantly checking my hair and scalp. I get coarse strands of hair and always go for them. Im more of a biter & picker though, fingers & scalp.
The same happened to me and it's left me with lifelong trich!

I developed the disorder around the age of 12ish, I'm now 35 and still have it. It goes through times of being more under control and less so. Currently I'm snapping my hair off rather than pulling it. Not great but better. I've had other periods of complete remission. I'm mostly scalp but have also occasionally really gone for eyelashes.

I think it must be genetic. I don't have depression or any other form of mental illness. I also think it's really common, I work with at least two guys who pull out their beard hair.

Things that have helped me: keeping my hair short, getting my brows shapes and tinted regularly, avoiding alcohol, avoiding time where I can zone out, wearing physical barriers when at my worst, exercising so hard I can't lift my arms....

Hello fellow sufferer!!

I can assure you that you are not alone- I started doing it age 11 and have done it since (I'm 42 now).
I can't grow my hair longer than 1 inch (I'm male BTW so it's not too hard ;) ) but any longer and I'll start twirling away. I love it- it's not classed as self harm as the feeling is pleasurable (apparently) but I'll pull and pull until it just comes out. I used to keep the tufts as well way back when.

I've had several periods when I had 1/2 inch bald patches on my head due to it- easy solution for me is to just have a buzzcut skinhead, I've had it a few times to stop the habit. And strangely, if my hair isn't long enough to twirl/pull - and I know it isn't- I won't have the urge at all.

Also will pull at my eyebrows. Not as much, but I can and once started it ca be difficult to stop.

I've tried quitting several times, it's subconscious and lots of times I do it without even realising it (I've even done it in my sleep before- went to bed and woke up the next morning with a knot of hair at my fringe that wasn't there the night before)......

Short hair is the only solution for me I'm afraid! 💖