Trichotillmania (Hair pulling disorder)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wanted to start a thread on this to see if there's anyone on here with similar problems.

There are Facebook support pages but I find them too triggering and often not very supportive.

I have not being diagnosed for this but have mentioned to doctors many times.

I've pulled since I was teenager (29 now) and have been left with awful scars because of it. I can do it for a long period of time almost in a trance and find it do it most when I'm feeling stressed or anxious.

It would be interesting to know if there is anyone else who suffers and can maybe be used as a support thread?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I play/roll with my sideburn hair when I’m anxious, I don’t know I’m doing it. The rolling causes little balls of knots then I pull it out.
When I had Individual extensions I would also pick and pull at the bonds until they came out, not realising what I was doing until I saw a big pile of scraggy hair on the arm of the sofa 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 2
I pull my eyelashes out when I’m stressed, end up with really sore, irritated eyes so have to consciously try not to do it but it’s so hard to stop

I’m a puller too (and a skin picker). I won’t say what I do because I think it gives fellow sufferers ideas!

I have a need for symmetry and getting rid of anomalous hairs with my pulling.

Things that help:

• Having something to fiddle with in my hands
• Not being able to see the target areas

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Long time lurker here but made an account after seeing this thread.

I’ve been pulling my head hair since I was 10 and I’m now 26..it just doesn’t get any easier to control it. I have to pull the really thick strands of hair or ones that aren’t straight.

I find getting a hair cut helps for about 2 weeks as I try and start fresh again with no pulling but I can never completely stop.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have this. It’s a lot more under control than it was when I was a child. I’m still very embarrassed by it though.
The day my mum saw my bald patches was one of the most memorable of my childhood. She went spare and just kept screaming ‘you clown!’ at me, i was about 9. I know she was very upset bless her- she is extremely image conscious and worries about what people think- but it’s certainly stuck with me!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm really glad I made this thread, I'm extremely embarrassed by it aswell and apart from the doctor noone knows. I pull almost everywhere to the point where hair isn't growing back and I'm left with bald patches.

@ShowMeYourFeline im also a skin picker aswell😔

@Mumofferalboys have you considered eyelash extensions as a way to help ease the pulling? I know you mentioned your eyes can be sore and irritated I usually pop sliced cucumbers on mine to soothe any pain and redness.

Has anybody been successful with speaking to the doctor and having help from them?

I threw my tweezers away im hoping that this helps and I've got a ball of blu tac to fiddle with if I'm feeling the urge to pull. Also ordered castor oil as a few people have recommended this.

• Heart
  • Sad
Raising my hand (with a clenched fist so you can’t see the skin around my fingernails) as another picker ☹

• Heart
I'm really glad I made this thread, I'm extremely embarrassed by it aswell and apart from the doctor noone knows. I pull almost everywhere to the point where hair isn't growing back and I'm left with bald patches.

@ShowMeYourFeline im also a skin picker aswell😔

@Mumofferalboys have you considered eyelash extensions as a way to help ease the pulling? I know you mentioned your eyes can be sore and irritated I usually pop sliced cucumbers on mine to soothe any pain and redness.

Has anybody been successful with speaking to the doctor and having help from them?

I threw my tweezers away im hoping that this helps and I've got a ball of blu tac to fiddle with if I'm feeling the urge to pull. Also ordered castor oil as a few people have recommended this.
Tried extensions and had them all pulled out within two days as was a busy hectic time in my life so a waste of money really 😂

Will give the cucumber slices a try thank you.

I also pick and pull at any spot, mark or blemish on my skin, can go from being the smallest under skin pimple to a big bruised red mess because I just can’t leave it alone, also if I know my hubby has a spot I can’t settle until it’s popped, I know that’s so weird and not fair on him but I don’t know what it is I just genuinely can’t settle until it’s popped, he gets so annoyed with me about it and I’m always being told to stop picking at my face and fingers by family as I go at it until it bleeds, just one of those things that I can’t stop doing. Nice in a way to read that I’m not the only person with these quirks

• Sad
Logging in to share. I was really quite prolific at it in my 20’s to the point of it regrowing like a Mr Majeika tuft of hair at the top of my head (remember him 😂). When I think back to that time I know I was very very depressed. In my early 40’s now and noticed I was on the edge of doing it again. It’s been a rough year personally, but the lockdown has strangely helped me cope better and I think being aware helped me nip it in the bud. I do think this and skin picking (my sister does that) are down to
deeper underlying issues that we all could do with some help with.

• Heart
  • Sad
I found eyelash extensions extremely itchy and increased my pulling, as well as increasing the damage from each pulling session 😐

• Sad
I play/roll with my sideburn hair when I’m anxious, I don’t know I’m doing it. The rolling causes little balls of knots then I pull it out.
When I had Individual extensions I would also pick and pull at the bonds until they came out, not realising what I was doing until I saw a big pile of scraggy hair on the arm of the sofa 🤷🏻‍♀️
I do the exact same thing 😩

Wow; it’s amazing to see so many replies! I have trich and developed it when I was 13. I turned 30 this year. It’s the bane of my life - every day I struggle with it. I pull scalp hair only and have not had a full head of hair for.... 10 years now 😢. It is what it is.

I also don’t use the Facebook groups or any online support because they make me feel stressed! I really have no mechanisms, I just know for me, I’ve got less urges etc when I’m feeling mentally good. I’ve had low level depression since I was about 21 and this definitely impacts pulling my hair!

• Heart
So glad I found this! I've been pulling my eyelashes out for about 10/11 years now, I have none left, as soon as they start to grow pull them again. Absolutely hate the way it looks but I can't help it 😔. Tried to wear strip lashes to hide it but it's hard to get them to stay for long because there's nothing under them to hold them on. I get so paranoid when people make eye contact incase they notice.

Reactions: 1
I have to pull the really thick strands of hair or ones that aren’t straight.
Me too! I think it all started when I had nits in school, constantly checking my hair and scalp. I get coarse strands of hair and always go for them. Im more of a biter & picker though, fingers & scalp.

I have this, when I’m stressed I pull my eyebrows and eyelashes out. It started when I was at school and getting bullied by this awful boy I had to sit next to I used to just sit there pulling them out on clumps. It never got addressed as it was when over plucked eyebrows were a thing so my mum just used to tell me off thinking it was that.

Been thinking of spending money getting my eyebrows micro bladed to put me off but not an option at the moment. I can’t stand having false eyelashes either

• Sad
Hi all :)
Thanks for being so honest and sharing tips!

Fellow hair puller here although mine is specifically focussed on split ends (hope that's not triggering to mention and I won't go into more detail). Horrible cycle of then feeling too nervous to go the hairdresser's because of the awful condition which, of course, leads to more split ends and temptation.

Definitely the worst when I'm anxious but can also slip into a trance with it when I'm just bored or tired. About 15 years in with it now.

It seems there are lots of us out there!

• Heart
I have this too - for me it's mostly eyelashes and eyebrows but when I get stressed I venture into my head hair too. Been doing it as long as i can remember, and I don't realise I'm doing it half the time. It's horrible having barely any lashes and patchy eyebrows, I get so jealous when people have long lashes especially, at least with the brows I can fill in the gaps!

• Heart
I don’t pull my hair out but do compulsively pick my scalp (dermatillomania) since I was about 21. Usually in times of stress. Anyone who knows how I can stop... please speak up!!

Hi all :)
Thanks for being so honest and sharing tips!

Fellow hair puller here although mine is specifically focussed on split ends (hope that's not triggering to mention and I won't go into more detail). Horrible cycle of then feeling too nervous to go the hairdresser's because of the awful condition which, of course, leads to more split ends and temptation.

Definitely the worst when I'm anxious but can also slip into a trance with it when I'm just bored or tired. About 15 years in with it now.

It seems there are lots of us out there!
Agree so much with going into a trance! Especially if I’m working or driving my hand just wanders up there with a mind of its own.

Has anyone else noticed that far more men than women have beautiful eyelashes? It’s not fair, we’re the ones who need them!

Also do any other skin pickers like to watch popping vids on YouTube?

Reactions: 1