travelling to India, Asia etc.. My son is going in November and I'd like some advice etc...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi guys
Sorry to ambush this thread but I'd like to create a new thread but don't know how... its about travelling to India, Asia etc.. My son is going in November and I'd like some advice etc...
Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏

Thank you for helping me create this thread ✨️

To whomever created this thread for me.... Thank you muchly 🥰

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Hi... :) How old is your son? Is he travelling alone? With friends? How long is he going for and where else in Asia will he be traveling?

Sorry for the inquisition but I think it would help steer the advice in the right direction

Hi... :) How old is your son? Is he travelling alone? With friends? How long is he going for and where else in Asia will he be traveling?

Sorry for the inquisition but I think it would help steer the advice in the right direction
Yay!!! A response!!
Thank you
He is 24
Travelling alone ( split with GF, they were meant to travel together)
Initially 6 months
Starting in New Delhi, then jaipur, rajasthan, kerala, Goa ... after India it will be Cambodia. Vietnam and I think Thailand

Hello ( echo ) 😭

Last edited:
India is fairly safe for males, has a bit of a dubious record with solo females but I know a few women who went around India with no trouble at all. One of the main things they mentioned was getting accustomed to food/water. Check out (has some good tips)

Don't know much about traveling in Cambodia or Thailand, have family that travelled a lot to Vietnam and they say it's fairly safe for solo travelers. Sorry couldn't be much help.

As its way up north Delhi can be cold, I arrived in January, and it was freezing so had to buy warm clothes so be aware of the season.
Off the top of my head some things I learned.
Get a local sim card, calls home etc are dirt cheap.
After arriving at Agra at 3am due to trains being delayed by snow and having nowhere to stay I henceforth booked my accommodation ahead. You can always book something for a couple of nights and find something else/cheaper if you`re not happy with it. I was carrying a copy of the Rough Guide to India luckily so just looked at the info on my next destination and phoned to book a hotel or guest house, no more 3am dramas.
Train travel is also cheap as chips. You can book tickets for your forward journey in most town centres. I booked my entire months travel in a little travel agent type place in Delhi. Make sure you sit in the seat number on the ticket as not doing can cause trouble with other passengers if you are in their seat.
Take a chain and padlock to secure your luggage to the seat frame. I was dubious about this until a local did it opposite me.
Drink bottled water, avoid salads as these will be washed in tap water and could make you ill. Nan bread, roti`s etc are cooked fresh so they are no problem, I have eaten street food with no bad results, but this is down to individual choice.
Learn to haggle, you are going to need it.
You will get beggars everywhere, so you have to learn to ignore them. I quite often never replied to them so they would run through every language and phrase they knew then give up on you.
There are money exchanges everywhere which give you a better rate than the airport or banks. I always took cash and travellers cheques so never used an atm. Just get what you feel will be enough cash at the airport to get you through a couple of days.
Me and my mate used to take cheap biro`s to give to kids in more rural areas instead of sweets or cash.
Always use your right hand to pay/receive money as the left is used for something else.
Most people will speak at least a little English.
Also check the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide websites, the forums on there have a wealth of information.
It`s 8 years since I last went and would love to go back but my wife is seriously ill now so it`s impossible for me, hope this helps a little, safe travels.
A few personal recommendations.
The fort at Jodphur, stunning.
The Golden Temple, Amritsar.
If you make to Amritsar, go to the Wagah border crossing, India/Pakistan border flag lowering ceremony, it`s a hoot, check Wagah border crossing on Youtube. Touts walk around shouting Wagah Wagah, just book a seat with one of them they will take you there and back.

Reactions: 2
As its way up north Delhi can be cold, I arrived in January, and it was freezing so had to buy warm clothes so be aware of the season.
Off the top of my head some things I learned.
Get a local sim card, calls home etc are dirt cheap.
After arriving at Agra at 3am due to trains being delayed by snow and having nowhere to stay I henceforth booked my accommodation ahead. You can always book something for a couple of nights and find something else/cheaper if you`re not happy with it. I was carrying a copy of the Rough Guide to India luckily so just looked at the info on my next destination and phoned to book a hotel or guest house, no more 3am dramas.
Train travel is also cheap as chips. You can book tickets for your forward journey in most town centres. I booked my entire months travel in a little travel agent type place in Delhi. Make sure you sit in the seat number on the ticket as not doing can cause trouble with other passengers if you are in their seat.
Take a chain and padlock to secure your luggage to the seat frame. I was dubious about this until a local did it opposite me.
Drink bottled water, avoid salads as these will be washed in tap water and could make you ill. Nan bread, roti`s etc are cooked fresh so they are no problem, I have eaten street food with no bad results, but this is down to individual choice.
Learn to haggle, you are going to need it.
You will get beggars everywhere, so you have to learn to ignore them. I quite often never replied to them so they would run through every language and phrase they knew then give up on you.
There are money exchanges everywhere which give you a better rate than the airport or banks. I always took cash and travellers cheques so never used an atm. Just get what you feel will be enough cash at the airport to get you through a couple of days.
Me and my mate used to take cheap biro`s to give to kids in more rural areas instead of sweets or cash.
Always use your right hand to pay/receive money as the left is used for something else.
Most people will speak at least a little English.
Also check the Lonely Planet and Rough Guide websites, the forums on there have a wealth of information.
It`s 8 years since I last went and would love to go back but my wife is seriously ill now so it`s impossible for me, hope this helps a little, safe travels.
A few personal recommendations.
The fort at Jodphur, stunning.
The Golden Temple, Amritsar.
If you make to Amritsar, go to the Wagah border crossing, India/Pakistan border flag lowering ceremony, it`s a hoot, check Wagah border crossing on Youtube. Touts walk around shouting Wagah Wagah, just book a seat with one of them they will take you there and back.
Wow! Thank you!!! So much information that I'll share with my boy.
I'm scared for him... He actually don't give a tit 😭....
Again... thank you muchly 🙏 x

Wow! Thank you!!! So much information that I'll share with my boy.
I'm scared for him... He actually don't give a tit 😭....
Again... thank you muchly 🙏 x
No problem, I hope he picks up some tips.
More random thoughts.
Don`t forget that India is in the northern hemisphere, so their season patterns are similar to ours, apart from the monsoon season.
The tourist season in Goa is roughly October to end of March early April, gets hotter then and the monsoons start.
Think Kerala is further south (not been there) so can`t comment but again check the monsoon season.
Rule of thumb for Goa, further away from beach you are cheaper rooms can be but shop around.
If you need glasses get them there, so much cheaper, got my own there for a few years. Also, dental work I believe but again can`t comment from experience.
Remember reading somewhere, take a scan of your passport & visa details in case you lose passport.
Drink small, chilled bottles of beer as the big ones get warm before you have chance to finish them.
Indians are predominately Hindi and vegetarian, meals with meat are there but maybe a bit harder to find in certain areas.
Don`t forget you are a guest in their country so a smile, please and thank you will be appreciated.
Again, do your homework on Rough Guide & Lonely Planet.
Oh, and I went from Jaipur to Jodphur to Jaisalmer across the Rajasthan desert, at one point sitting on the steps to the carriage, thinking f@@k health and safety when will I get a chance to do this in Britain.

• Heart
No problem, I hope he picks up some tips.
More random thoughts.
Don`t forget that India is in the northern hemisphere, so their season patterns are similar to ours, apart from the monsoon season.
The tourist season in Goa is roughly October to end of March early April, gets hotter then and the monsoons start.
Think Kerala is further south (not been there) so can`t comment but again check the monsoon season.
Rule of thumb for Goa, further away from beach you are cheaper rooms can be but shop around.
If you need glasses get them there, so much cheaper, got my own there for a few years. Also, dental work I believe but again can`t comment from experience.
Remember reading somewhere, take a scan of your passport & visa details in case you lose passport.
Drink small, chilled bottles of beer as the big ones get warm before you have chance to finish them.
Indians are predominately Hindi and vegetarian, meals with meat are there but maybe a bit harder to find in certain areas.
Don`t forget you are a guest in their country so a smile, please and thank you will be appreciated.
Again, do your homework on Rough Guide & Lonely Planet.
Oh, and I went from Jaipur to Jodphur to Jaisalmer across the Rajasthan desert, at one point sitting on the steps to the carriage, thinking f@@k health and safety when will I get a chance to do this in Britain.
Hello again
I hope u get this msg.. not sure how I can do a direct msg but wanted to thank you for your fantastic advice! My son literally followed everything you advised and had a brilliant time in India. He stayed longer then he originally planned.
Your advice was spot on and much appreciated so thank you again!