Train strikes

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks @CrackingOwlSanctuary that was actually really helpful. I really wish that there had been better communications about the strikes, because I don't think the media coverage has been that helpful. One thing that isn't clear (or maybe I haven't read the right stuff) is are more strikes on the horizon?

Reactions: 1
Thanks @CrackingOwlSanctuary that was actually really helpful. I really wish that there had been better communications about the strikes, because I don't think the media coverage has been that helpful. One thing that isn't clear (or maybe I haven't read the right stuff) is are more strikes on the horizon?
ASLEF (the train drivers union) and TSSA (the office based/management union) are currently balloting for strike with a deadline of early July so there could be more strikes with even less of a service running next month. Currently they can plan to run some services as drivers are still in but once they are out (and the people coordinating the service are out) then it's just nothing running at all.

Reactions: 2
Oh great @CrackingOwlSanctuary 🙈 We have had zero services on our line since Tuesday (even on non-strike days) but it is complicated by engineering works on the other side of Birmingham. Let's hope that threats of further strikes will make the negotiations more fruitful going forwards.

My grandson is about to lose his job because of the strikes. He’s unable to get a train from where we live to his job at the moment. Get a bus you may say. The nearest train station where he can get a train is too far away to go by bus which would on a good day take 3 hours then the train would take 30 mins to get to the airport. He works a 12 hr night shift. If he had gone to work today(Friday) he couldn’t get home in the morning. He can’t get to the airport tomorrow as there are no trains. He rang to explain this and was told you knew the distance when you took the job. Yes he knew the distance and this has never bothered him but he didn’t know that there were going to be train strikes. The senior manager told him to get there or pay the consequences. No wonder BA staff are voting to strike.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Yes he knew the distance and this has never bothered him but he didn’t know that there were going to be train strikes. The senior manager told him to get there or pay the consequences. No wonder BA staff are voting to strike.
Its difficult, once shouldn't be enough for them to want to get rid of him but if these strikes go on his managers are going to get arsey

Can he find any alternative? Someone to stay with, or a hotel. If he could show that he had plans for next time, I'm hope they'd be more lenient

Sadly, As non striking rail staff it's cost me extra this week, I don't drive so have had to get a taxi in/out @ 45 a day.
I have a colleague who booked a hotel for the week as it was cheaper than a taxi (starting at 6am so was screwed even on the inbetween days)

Its difficult, once shouldn't be enough for them to want to get rid of him but if these strikes go on his managers are going to get arsey

Can he find any alternative? Someone to stay with, or a hotel. If he could show that he had plans for next time, I'm hope they'd be more lenient

Sadly, As non striking rail staff it's cost me extra this week, I don't drive so have had to get a taxi in/out @ 45 a day.
I have a colleague who booked a hotel for the week as it was cheaper than a taxi (starting at 6am so was screwed even on the inbetween days)
Unfortunately he has learning disabilities and although he gets a train on his own after me doing the journey with him a few times and when trains are cancelled or delayed he rings me and I talk him through it, he’s not confident enough to book into a hotel overnight and stay there on his own . A taxi would cost £75 one way. We’ve looked at alternative ways but can’t work out a way to get round it. He already pays out over £300 for a monthly train ticket so we can’t afford a taxi every time there’s a strike so rather than getting sacked he’s going to quit.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
He already pays out over £300 for a monthly train ticket so we can’t afford a taxi every time there’s a strike so rather than getting sacked he’s going to quit.
That's a shame
If he enjoys the job it's always worth talking to his managers and seeing it's there is anything that can be done.

If not I hope he finds something closer to home than he enjoys

That's a shame
If he enjoys the job it's always worth talking to his managers and seeing it's there is anything that can be done.

If not I hope he finds something closer to home than he enjoys
Thank you. He’s going in on Sunday with his notice . X

• Heart

Can't see how they are going to use agency workers to drive trains personally.
They won’t. There’s very strict safety criteria that need to be followed and not many agent staff will make the level.
The only thing they’ll be able to do is perhaps bring back retired drivers as a temporary means through an agency

Train drivers' assessments are complicated and brutal and it takes a long time to actually drive solo. Driver managers will do some, and some drivers are in RMT who have already done their strike action, and there'll be a minuscule number of drivers not in a union.
But some can still turn up for work. If we vote to strike I can't really afford the loss of pay. (not a driver)

I travelled on the day in between the strikes and it was still utter chaos. Hopefully though with it being one day it won't be as bad

@Warpaint at least you had trains to travel on in between the strikes. They just cancelled trains for the whole week on my line :ROFLMAO: I'm very nervous about the day after the strikes in Birmingham as that is the opening ceremony for the Commonwealth Games!