Tooth Extraction as a child

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friend's daughter had to have teeth removed today, under sedation.
This reminded me of when I was young of having teeth removed due to overcrowding!
No sedation then, I was put to sleep!
Can't remember how old I was, but seem to remember that I was around Primary school age, so perhaps 9 or 10! ( about 40 years ago, so giving my age Away 🤭🤭)!
Just wondered if anyone else had this done as a child, and their experience etc of it?

Reactions: 2
My friend's daughter had to have teeth removed today, under sedation.
This reminded me of when I was young of having teeth removed due to overcrowding!
No sedation then, I was put to sleep!
Can't remember how old I was, but seem to remember that I was around Primary school age, so perhaps 9 or 10! ( about 40 years ago, so giving my age Away 🤭🤭)!
Just wondered if anyone else had this done as a child, and their experience etc of it?
All my extractions were done by being put to sleep using gas via a face mask. Absolutely awful and the smell used to haunt me for days, I'd just suddenly get wafts of it. I also nearly fell out of a window after one. They'd proped me up by it as I felt sick as I was coming round.

Reactions: 3
Had 4 out for braces when I was around 12, got the injections an they hurt like hell plus she never done it right both times despite me telling her so they weren't fully numb, got 2 out one day an 2 out another, remember calling her a few choice words both times then saying I wouldn't be back 😂 thankfully the orthodontist took over once they were out an I was able to find a new dentist before my orthodontist was finished, I'd have loved to have been able to stay at the orthodontist cause they were really good

All my extractions were done by being put to sleep using gas via a face mask. Absolutely awful and the smell used to haunt me for days, I'd just suddenly get wafts of it. I also nearly fell out of a window after one. They'd proped me up by it as I felt sick as I was coming round.
The gas was horrible I remember going to brownies after getting one extracted under gas and it was hideous

That gas was horrible I hated it.

Wow I didn't know they still did extractions under sedation unless you're dentist-phobic or something. I had four out before braces when I was a kid with local, didn't feel a thing.

Reactions: 1
I had my top four front teeth and a couple of back teeth out in one go under gas, must be about forty years ago. I ground my teeth quite badly and they were too worn down to work loose and fall out naturally.

Going through it with my daughter at the moment and her teeth are coming out right on cue, and the new ones are beautiful whereas I had a mouthful of fillings by her age. God the 80s were grim. :(

It's a wonder I had any teeth at all as I had that many removed for overcrowding when I was a kid! I had 6 out in one go at one point and a couple of odd ones a few years later. I had a canine protruding out of my gum which they thought would be better removing than try to align it with a brace. You can barely tell though unless I point it out. It was all for the best in the end as I have quite straight, nice teeth now, and I don't really remember the pain. I had my wisdom teeth out at 23 and still traumatised by it🤣 All extractions were done under general anaesthetic.

My partner had very crooked teeth because his dentist refused him a brace and wanted to break his jaw to sort the problem out which of course is brutal so he declined the offer 🤣

Having had an overcrowded mouth I got 8 out at about aged 9. I remember the dentist coming at me with the gas and my mum having to pin me down. I am not kidding when I say it was traumatic. Must have been awful for my mum too. I remember seeing the heat from the mask as it was coming to me if that makes sense

I have never ever accepted gas and air in my adult life because of it. Got to hospital too late for pain relief in childbirth and wouldn't touch the gas and air, dislocated my shoulder and refused gas and air, and even 4 weeks ago, waking up from a big op with an oxygen mask on my face I yanked it off. Not kidding when I say it has traumatised me!

I was put to sleep to have mine removed when I was a kid. Just in the chair at my local dentist . Absolute madness when you look back.

I was put to sleep to have mine removed when I was a kid. Just in the chair at my local dentist . Absolute madness when you look back.
Yeah! That's pretty much happened to me! I remember waking up in room with a mouthful of cotton wool! 😲😲

I’m an 80’s kid and I remember that! The experience and the smell still haunt me to this day. And those cotton wool tube things they stuffed inside your gob, I can still feel them! My dentist was awful and she got struck off in the end.
Did anyone have a dental bus come round to their primary school? I remember everyone having to go on the bus and get their teeth checked and if all okay you got a sweet at the end! 😂

• Haha
I had many removed for braces as a young teenager. Funnily enough my dentist today says I had too many removed (whatever that means) and that’s not the method nowadays. Apparently it can make smiles too narrow if too many are taken.

Yeah! That's pretty much happened to me! I remember waking up in room with a mouthful of cotton wool! 😲😲

Yes! This was me too. Horrible experience. As a mum myself now I was dreading whose teeth they would inherit. Luckily their fathers genes won. The joy I felt when I was told neither of them would need braces was immense. So pleased for them.

I’m an 80’s kid and I remember that! The experience and the smell still haunt me to this day. And those cotton wool tube things they stuffed inside your gob, I can still feel them! My dentist was awful and she got struck off in the end.
Did anyone have a dental bus come round to their primary school? I remember everyone having to go on the bus and get their teeth checked and if all okay you got a sweet at the end! 😂
That's them! Cotton wool tubes! Who can forget them! 😨😨

I had two teeth taken out aged 10/11 via general I assume it was , I was fully put out so I guess it was. I remember being tit scared about them injecting me with the anesthesia but they used the mask instead , which I don't remember being bad - I loved the gas and air when giving birth though 😅
Worst part I remember is waking up with that horrible taste of blood in my mouth and needing stop spit it all out.

My wisdom teeth need removing but they need to break them to get them out as they're impacted - so I've refused that for the last 20 years 🙄 😐

My poor little boy is going to have to have some out due to over crowding 😩 I have a feeling it's going to be traumatic for us both. He is going to need braces too , that's if he can ever get to see an orthodontist as apparently the waiting list for a NHS orthodontist here is 357 weeks aka SEVEN YEARS 😱