Tongue tie in a toddler

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello does anyone have experience of a tongue tie in a toddler? Our childminder thinks my son has 1, he is 15 months old.

went to to gp today about another issue and mentioned tongue tie and she was really dismissive, just wondered what others experience of this issue was like.

It's usually picked up when they're babies? Did you breastfeed as it can affect breastfeeding?

The GP may have been dismissive if you told he/she that your childminder thinks your son has one. As lets face it, the childminder is not a GP!

NHS does advise to speak to a GP if you think your child has one, so maybe make a separate appointment for your son to see the GP as often GP's don't like you bringing up another issue during one appointment. Mine told me I had to make a separate appointment when I asked about something else.

Reactions: 1
No didn’t breastfeed straight onto formula from birth, he struggled with feeding at birth and had to try a few different teats.
Yes I will make a separate apppintment so it’s addressed properly thank you xx

Sometimes if tongue tie doesn’t cause any problems (not sure if you breastfed but if so in young babies it often causes issues with latch, and that’s usually when it’s picked up and corrected) , and if baby has grown well put on weight, speech develops as expected and doesn’t appear to have any issues now they have started solids they will leave as is.
Long wait times for correction (where I worked anyway) and so may be even longer if (hopefully) your child doesn’t seem to be affected. Once babies have teeth unfortunately they usually need a general anaesthetic to have it cut and so if not causing problems the risk of surgery would likely outweigh any potential benefits.
can be cut privately but again that depends on whether your finances allow!

some health visitors (dependent on area) can assess and diagnose tongue tie so could be an option to take him to their clinic? Or even just for advice?

Thank you it’s not causing major issues but we have noticed excessive dribbling, can’t stick tongue out whatsoever, struggling and refusing to eat particularly chewy foods such as meat and only sound he makes is ‘dada’
Ive called the health visitor and she says it sounds like he does have it but said it is usually picked up at birth or early on at least so it’s been missed by quite a few professionals. She said to make an appointment at the GP again solely for this tongue tie issue to be assessed and possible referral to max fax.

Thank you it’s not causing major issues but we have noticed excessive dribbling, can’t stick tongue out whatsoever, struggling and refusing to eat particularly chewy foods such as meat and only sound he makes is ‘dada’
Ive called the health visitor and she says it sounds like he does have it but said it is usually picked up at birth or early on at least so it’s been missed by quite a few professionals. She said to make an appointment at the GP again solely for this tongue tie issue to be assessed and possible referral to max fax.
He might be teething? The back teeth in particular cause a lot of distress. Don't worry about him only saying 'dada'. Both my sons were late talkers and both needed Speech Therapy.

I think it's picked up at birth more if they're being breastfed as it makes it harder for them to latch on. Hopefully you'll get it all sorted soon.

Reactions: 2
ahh bless him, not sticking his tongue out seems like he probably does have it, fingers crossed for you that referral times aren’t crazy 🤞🏼
chances are all these little things will be rectified when you’ve got the TT sorted but with food textures sensory play is the key! Even if he spits partly chewed up meat out it’s a good idea to leave it on his high chair or plate and let him feel it out with his hands and see for himself what it’s like (as gross as that seems 😂) And not sure where you are but in my area (south london) the speech and language teams have drop ins at the Childrens Centres where they do groups and you can ask for advice, they might have something similar where you are ☺
Hope you get it all sorted! Xx

• Heart
I'm convinced that my youngest has one, they are coming up 3 now and still can't stick their tongue out very far. They used to dribble all the time, but not as much now.

It was mentioned that they looked like they had when they were a tiny baby , but nothing was done as they were breastfeeding fine.

I have heard of people having them fixed privately, rather than waiting NHS .

GPs are tit with tongue ties.
I'd trust a childminder over a GP with a tongue tie.
Theres not much you can do really other than a private assessment with a TT practitioner you'd struggle to get anyone in the NHS to see diagnose and treat it unless it was causing some major issues for him

Mini Waka had posterior tongue tie which wasn’t picked up by our midwives or HV as it’s more difficult to spot. A family member who is a midwife noticed it so we got her assessed privately and cut at home. Terrible feeding journey beforehand. The wait for NHS is incredibly long and not sure what knowledge GPs have on it anyway

I am tongue tied and my son is too. Never caused any problems and dr said at hospital unless he had trouble when he was older they would leave it as he took a bottle fine. I’m 41 and he’s 15 neither of us have a speech impediment or any issues caused by it. Just can’t pull tongues.

• Heart
I am tongue tied and my son is too. Never caused any problems and dr said at hospital unless he had trouble when he was older they would leave it as he took a bottle fine. I’m 41 and he’s 15 neither of us have a speech impediment or any issues caused by it. Just can’t pull tongues.
That’s so reassuring to know thank you I’m really hoping for the same x