Tokyo Olympic Games 2020/1

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Incredible jump off, incredible riding but what an incredible horse! Yet another medal for our equestrian team! 2 bronze, one silver, 2 gold…can they make it another gold on Saturday?!

Reactions: 4
Totally gutted for KJT our big stars are just plagued with injuries 😭

Reactions: 5
What's holding it back? Is it the lack of gender balance? I coach cheerleading which has just been recognised by the IOC, and read that one of the obstacles that might hold us back from competing at the games is that it's primarily a female based sport. I don't know how accurate that is though. Historically in the UK we have struggled to recruit male athletes - a lot of boys who join the sport as kids will leave in their teens as it's not "cool" although I do think they might be attracted back as young adults.

I'm just happy we are recognised for now so I have a legitimate case when people tell me it's not a sport :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
I’ve heard it’s just the number of continents it’s on (it’s not big in America/s which is what they need) although I’ve heard rumbles that when it goes to Queensland that’s what sport they want to introduce but who knows if we’ll get to 2032 or whatever it’ll be 😂😂

What's holding it back? Is it the lack of gender balance? I coach cheerleading which has just been recognised by the IOC, and read that one of the obstacles that might hold us back from competing at the games is that it's primarily a female based sport. I don't know how accurate that is though. Historically in the UK we have struggled to recruit male athletes - a lot of boys who join the sport as kids will leave in their teens as it's not "cool" although I do think they might be attracted back as young adults.

I'm just happy we are recognised for now so I have a legitimate case when people tell me it's not a sport :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Artistic Swimming is a predominantly female sport and that’s recognised at the Olympics.

Reactions: 2
Strikes me as odd there’s no netball in the Olympics when it’s a part of the commonwealth games. Same goes for squash. If there’s enough countries to make it a CG sport surely that’s more than enough to make it worth putting it in the Olympics.

Reactions: 3
Strikes me as odd there’s no netball in the Olympics when it’s a part of the commonwealth games. Same goes for squash. If there’s enough countries to make it a CG sport surely that’s more than enough to make it worth putting it in the Olympics.
It‘s the number of continents…. So yes it’s played in the common wealth but America and Africa not so much so that’s what they used to say (and Asia too I guess for netball rather than squash)

Presumably for the same reason cricket isn’t included. It’s also as boring as duck.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Wow, artistic swimming is incredible. The Russian spider routine was 😮😮😮
Well deserved gold.

Reactions: 3
The velodrome has been a bit ropey this year hasn't it? Team GB hasn't performed like they usually do (good that Laura Kenny and co claimed silver though).
I think on the mens team especially there are a lot of first time Olympians. I saw the team pursuit interview today and they were saying how they were a fairly new team. The weird thing is that they did improve on their gold medal time from Rio, just that everyone else has improved SO MUCH MORE! I think we were lucky over the last decade to have good funding and support for track cycling here in the UK, maybe more than other countries, and now all the other countries have caught up with us.

Artistic Swimming is a predominantly female sport and that’s recognised at the Olympics.
Yeah that's why I was confused about what I read! I can't find it now but it was something like a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents. It may be outdated now though. We have 116 member nations in our governing body and over 70 usually attend the World championships but just if it's looking for something to be "widely practiced" by men then cheer might struggle.

Softball only has 6 nations that compete I think. Netball would be perfect for the Olympics it’s a shame it’s not included.

Softball only has 6 nations that compete I think. Netball would be perfect for the Olympics it’s a shame it’s not included.
Fingers crossed for Brisbane!!! (Would make sense based on the fact Australia is a netballing nation)

Team GB has been plagued with injuries but there’s also a lot of promising young athletes for Paris 2024 especially in Gymnastics.

Reactions: 6
I’ve missed so much, think I may have to catch up on YouTube. So frustrating.
Team Japan are through to the finals I think with baseball-they all looked so happy! Well done to the home team!

Team GB has been plagued with injuries but there’s also a lot of promising young athletes for Paris 2024 especially in Gymnastics.
I’m sure it will come out that lockdown hasn’t helped with all these injuries. Remote training, lack of competitions etc won’t have helped

Reactions: 5
I’m sure it will come out that lockdown hasn’t helped with all these injuries. Remote training, lack of competitions etc won’t have helped
I do wonder if they’ll look specifically into the athletics in comparison with the other sports as there seems to be a spate of them in that section now!

Is anyone else annoyed that the BBC don’t have full rights anymore? I was under the impression that the Olympics are one of the crown jewels of sport that HAD to be shown on terrestrial television? If the games went anywhere else if should have been ITV or Channel Four, NOT Discovery plus which isn’t even on most people’s Sky packages!

Reactions: 9
Is anyone else annoyed that the BBC don’t have full rights anymore? I was under the impression that the Olympics are one of the crown jewels of sport that HAD to be shown on terrestrial television? If the games went anywhere else if should have been ITV or Channel Four, NOT Discovery plus which isn’t even on most people’s Sky packages!
I don’t think it’s up to the UK? I’m pretty sure channels go along and bid for it so whoever the highest bidder is gets it. I hope channel 4 get the Paralympic Games as they always do a good job! Plus because of covid each station can’t send someone to film etc so they’re relying on the streams themselves

Reactions: 4
I don’t think it’s up to the UK? I’m pretty sure channels go along and bid for it so whoever the highest bidder is gets it. I hope channel 4 get the Paralympic Games as they always do a good job! Plus because of covid each station can’t send someone to film etc so they’re relying on the streams themselves
That sounds positive! I really hope the last leg guys do the evening round up too, they were one of my highlights of Rio

Attachments

That sounds positive! I really hope the last leg guys do the evening round up too, they were one of my highlights of Rio
They started during the 2012 London ones! Seems only fitting! I love Adam hills and have done for a long time! We can only hope (I don’t see how they won’t)

From what I understand the money they make by selling these rights goes back into the sports and the hosting city. It’s also where they get most of the money from, so it’s natural that they’re giving it to broadcasters which are behind a paywall

I also think something like 200 hours have to be shown for free, so the BBC

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.