Toddler waking REALLY early...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 2 year old has always been a crap sleeper, we saved up and got a sleep consultant about 4 months ago which got him sleeping through the night (as opposed to waking 4+times). However now, when he wakes up he thinks it is time to get up regardless of the time... at the moment it’s around half 4, but it has also been half 3. We’ve tried a Glo Clock but the novelty seems to have worn off. If he comes into our bed he makes mischief so co sleeping is not an option (sleep doesn’t come into it!) Any advice or suggestions would be welcomed!

Reactions: 1
Does he nap? If yes you might want to consider cutting or shortening it, or pushing bed time back slightly.

Could there be a noise waking him up? An alarm or similar outside?

I would like to cut down the nap and say to nursery it needs to be earlier in the day, see if it makes a difference.

We had to cut my 2 years old nap out at 18 months because she was up until 11pm ever night if she napped 😴

Is he in a cot? Can he climb out? What time does he go to bed?
He’s recently moved into a bed (although the waking was a problem before that! He goes to bed at 7ish.

I would like to cut down the nap and say to nursery it needs to be earlier in the day, see if it makes a difference.

We had to cut my 2 years old nap out at 18 months because she was up until 11pm ever night if she napped 😴
Ooh ouch! My boy goes to bed no problem at 7pm but wakes up so bloody early 😂 I’d settle for a consistent 5am...

I’d probably stop his day time nap, and do loads with him during the day to use up energy, even a 10 minute run around the garden or whatever. See if that helps?

I’d probably stop his day time nap, and do loads with him during the day to use up energy, even a 10 minute run around the garden or whatever. See if that helps?
I’ll try anything at this point! The 2/3 times he’s skipped his nap he’s fallen asleep at about half 5/6pm so I’ve been reluctant to remove it, but we’ll give it a go and see if it needs longer to work? Thank you 😊

I agree the nap is key, if you can reduce it or cut it out it might help, you could have quiet time instead and read or watch a film. Also checking he isn’t having too much sugar or stuff like chocolate which has caffeine in?
lots of fresh air and daylight is supposed to help reset body clocks (not easy in the depth of winter!)

I would make the wake up time as dull as possible. So minimal interaction from you, don’t put lights on etc and see if he falls back over. I always took a beaker of water upstairs for mine so if he needed a drink,I had it to hand.

I agree the nap is key, if you can reduce it or cut it out it might help, you could have quiet time instead and read or watch a film. Also checking he isn’t having too much sugar or stuff like chocolate which has caffeine in?
lots of fresh air and daylight is supposed to help reset body clocks (not easy in the depth of winter!)
He eats a lot of fruit, could that be too much sugar? He doesn’t eat a lot of junk food but his dad does most of the tea times as I work evenings so it may be he’s having biscuits or something!
I make sure we get out every day, although not always outdoors... that’s probably not helping. In the summer we didn’t have this issue and he was never indoors so it would make sense.

I would make the wake up time as dull as possible. So minimal interaction from you, don’t put lights on etc and see if he falls back over. I always took a beaker of water upstairs for mine so if he needed a drink,I had it to hand.
That’s actually a good point, I do usually go in and fuss...

He eats a lot of fruit, could that be too much sugar? He doesn’t eat a lot of junk food but his dad does most of the tea times as I work evenings so it may be he’s having biscuits or something!
I make sure we get out every day, although not always outdoors... that’s probably not helping. In the summer we didn’t have this issue and he was never indoors so it would make sense.

That’s actually a good point, I do usually go in and fuss...
I wouldn’t worry about him eating lots of fruit.

The good news is he was sleeping through before so sounds like he’s just got into a habit.

I think fruit is fine ☺ I think it sounds like he’s waking because he’s had enough sleep so reduced naps and tiring him out will hopefully do the trick! Good luck x

I wouldn’t worry about him eating lots of fruit.

The good news is he was sleeping through before so sounds like he’s just got into a habit.
I think so! It’s definitely time for change! Thank you :)

I think fruit is fine ☺ I think it sounds like he’s waking because he’s had enough sleep so reduced naps and tiring him out will hopefully do the trick! Good luck x
I’ll happily give it a go! He made 5.15 this morning and it felt like a holiday 😂 x

My 4.5 year old still wakes between 4 and 5 most mornings...
Don’t tell me this 😭
Only joking. I honestly can cope with 5 onwards but because I work evenings I get home and to bed at around half 10/11 so I can get 6 hours kip on a good night.

Don’t tell me this 😭
Only joking. I honestly can cope with 5 onwards but because I work evenings I get home and to bed at around half 10/11 so I can get 6 hours kip on a good night.
5 is fine! I can cope with that its before that's the issue. She also ends up wanting to go to sleep about 5 so huge battle to keep her awake in the evenings. It's so hard the early starts as also got a 9 month old too who is up all hours