To COVID vaccine, or not to vaccine?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a supermarket employee I appreciate you. We're so often overlooked despite working throughout the whole pandemic and many of us getting sick and abused. At the moment we're all struggling mentally, it's getting increasingly difficult to remain positive. My partner got headbutted during the first lockdown, just because we were operating a one-person-per-shop policy. People are vile.
jesus how awful, there have been times I wanted to intervene, but honestly as someone who is not at all strong etc I just don't feel I can and feel nervous for my own safety (very selfish I know)

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I don't know better at all. However I know people personally who have degrees in such who beg to differ. I have just decided who's opinion I trust more as it has been more consistent through out, as let's face it last year if you remember rightly we were told by members of parliament on telly as they stood on their podiums, that mask use wasn't advised and pointless.

I'm really not too bothered about others reasons not to wear a mask. How do you know so many are lying? Who are you to judge anyone is lying about exemption? Domestic abuse and the psychological effects that come thereafter for instance happens to one in so many women...

Then you will have all your other reasons. I am sick of this "if I can do it on my 8 hour shift and I'm running around on all fours on a covid ward and I have bad Asthmaz, all day you can too".... since when was it ever professional to compare one person's condition to another's?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
but then surely as someone who really cannot wear one you must appreciate those of us that fortunately can and be annoyed with those who pretend they can't?
I really feel awful for what you went through, I suffered domestic abuse too so obv know how horrendous it is, but sayinng "I'm no toxoligist but it really doesn't take a bruce-chemist-im-hard-virologist-ali to know that the face coverings are absolutely ridiculous anyway" ...... so you aren;t an expert, but think you know better? Sorry but that is absurd.
My thoughts exactly.
Also most people who can't wear masks are of different circumstances, and are the ones who'd fair way worse if they did get covid. We should be protecting them and there is plenty of evidence showing masks do reduce transmission. They don't work as in stop it, but they do reduce the chance of transmission.

' A cotton mask reduced viral uptake by the receiver head by up to 40% compared to no mask. An N95 mask, used by medical professionals, blocked up to 90%.'

jesus how awful, there have been times I wanted to intervene, but honestly as someone who is not at all strong etc I just don't feel I can and feel nervous for my own safety (very selfish I know)
Not selfish at all, we'd honestly prefer nobody else put themselves at risk!!

I don't know better at all. However I know people personally who have degrees in such who beg to differ. I have just decided who's opinion I trust more as it has been more consistent through out, as let's face it last year if you remember rightly we were told by members of parliament on telly as they stood on their podiums, that mask use wasn't advised and pointless.

I'm really not too bothered about others reasons not to wear a mask. How do you know so many are lying? Who are you to judge anyone is lying about exemption? Domestic abuse and the psychological effects that come thereafter for instance happens to one in so many women...

Then you will have all your other reasons. I am sick of this "if I can do it on my 8 hour shift and I'm running around on all fours on a covid ward and I have bad Asthmaz, all day you can too".... since when was it ever professional to compare one person's condition to another's?
Members of parliament are not experts. You should be listening to those who know what they're talking about. The government don't, as we've clearly seen.

I agree comparisons aren't helpful, and your reason is fine in my opinion. But it's justified, it's aimed at those who are throwing tantrums like babies over a mask. Time to grow up, we have to do it so should everyone else.

Reactions: 4
I saw someone post here how it is pissing them off that NHS workers who are WFH are getting the vaccination - I can't find the post now. A family member of mine got their vaccine this week even though they are WFH but they work at the oncology ward at the hospital, which is why they have been made to WFH because the patients there are so very high risk - all of the staff on that ward are getting vaccinated.

Reactions: 6

I have never accused anyone of lying, and you accusing me of that is ridiculous. I have friends who cannot wear them. As I have said I was a DV victim, so I know well the effects, luckily nothing of having my face covered, but your patronising and borderline aggressive tone is horrible.
And the tone of your post really did imply you knew better tbh. Knowing the difference between whose and who's might make your argument more convincing. Maybe get your expert friends to comment next time?

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Plus when there was pressure to start wearing masks it was at a time when there was major shortages of ppe, and if they ahd said that we should wear masks then that would have been even more demand for ppe.

Reactions: 1
Where has all the kindness and compassion gone? If someone has PTSD then I am fine with them not wearing a mask. It’s up to me to keep me safe. Experiencing abuse because of this in real life, and the tone of some of posters on here, is saddening. I am so sorry for what she has endured then, and currently.
Yes there are some piss takers and assholes, but mostly people have valid reasons. I don’t really agree with wearing a mask, however I wear one for other people. I understand it might be traumatic for someone to see me not wearing one, and it doesn’t do me any harm when I am in a shop.
However expecting people to do something for you, when you can’t even show compassion and understanding is heartbreaking, this pandemic has really shown the ugly side of human nature in so many ways.

• Heart
this pandemic has really shown the ugly side of human nature in so many ways.
Surely that works both ways though. The same goes for the people rejecting the vaccination - they still expect others to get it surely? Or are they happy to live this way forever? Because right now the vaccination seems like the only way to get us out of this mess.

So either way they’re more concerned about themselves than society as a whole.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have never accused anyone of lying, and you accusing me of that is ridiculous. I have friends who cannot wear them. As I have said I was a DV victim, so I know well the effects, luckily nothing of having my face covered, but your patronising and borderline aggressive tone is horrible.
And the tone of your post really did imply you knew better tbh. Knowing the difference between whose and who's might make your argument more convincing. Maybe get your expert friends to comment next time?
I haven't been horrible at all. Sorry if you mistook that, but a quick skim of this thread I see more mocking towards those who believe more differently to a set standard here.

Forgive me if I was wrong, but you were the one who mentioned people lying about their exemptions? I simply asked how are you to know or judge? One can't understand how this may be patronising.

Surely that works both ways though. The same goes for the people rejecting the vaccination - they still expect others to get it surely? Or are they happy to live this way forever? Because right now the vaccination seems like the only way to get us out of this mess.

Surely not.

I don't expect others to get a vaccination just because I don't, I see more expectations towards me to get one because others are. I simply do not want one and I'm willing to donate mine if ever offered! I respect others choices whether they want the vaccine or not. I won't ridicule anybody for that. The mask wearing... that's a whole other issue.

Reactions: 4
As a supermarket employee I appreciate you. We're so often overlooked despite working throughout the whole pandemic and many of us getting sick and abused. At the moment we're all struggling mentally, it's getting increasingly difficult to remain positive. My partner got headbutted during the first lockdown, just because we were operating a one-person-per-shop policy. People are vile.
I really feel for shop workers in all of this and believe they should have been at the top of the queue getting vaccines, coming into contact with so many people and touching so many items is such a risk. This pandemic has truly brought out the worst in a lot of people 😔

Reactions: 3
The reason genuine people are getting abuse for not wearing masks is because of all the anti-mask/covid/lockdown nonsense. These people are being penalised because of the actions of others. It's unfair, that's why people should just put one on if they have 0 issues instead of being babies about it. We're now stopping people without masks in our store, and we'll be taking good care to make sure those with exemptions aren't met with such aggression. I can't stand it.
Retail is hard at the best of times, and I haven't envied you at all during this crisis! The public are awful people who have turned more awful as time has gone on. I'm pleased to hear that you're being as understanding as you can be, and I completely agree with you.. just wear a mask... if you can!
I also agree in that the people who are anti mask and are using fake cards bought from amazon and faking a disability just so they don't have to wear one have taken the piss. Unfortunately though some people have become very judgmental, not everyone not wearing a mask is breaking the rules, not everyone shopping with one other person is breaking the rules, someone you see going into someone's house might not be breaking the rules. I have one experience of someone I support - she has dementia and her daughter was going in a few times a day to check on her. A neighbour screamed at her that she was going to phone the police as she'd seen the lady with dementia out more than once a day and the daughter going in her house... what have some people become!!
So whilst you're being very good in your shop, many aren't and unfortunately innocent people who understandably don't want to wear lanyard, or one's that have come from an abuse background don't need to be confronted the way they are, plus ultimately it's against the law to ask someone what what disability is, which many shops are doing - and again what anti mask people are taking advantage of.
Its all a vicious circle

I actually had the vaccine on Monday. I was offered this due to my line of work. I was happy to take it because i believe in our best scientists, and i don’t really have any skepticism on it, so why not.
However, from 9pm the day of my vaccination until this morning has been hell. I have been so ill with vomiting, and extreme body aches. Feel fine now though.

• Sad
  • Wow
How many people have died after taking the vaccine? How many people died today without the vaccine? Lot of dumb people about these days who can't even bother to provide evidence for their nonsensical claims... they work on the theory of "repeat it enough times and it becomes true".

I have mine tomorrow so hopefully this won’t happen to me! Sounds horrid. I’m working for 4 days straight after it too 😖 we’re already short staffed so I really don’t want to have to go off sick!
Ah good luck hope it goes well for you. I do tend to be extra sensitive to these things! My other frontline friends have had the vaccine too and not had any reactions! Xx

Ah good luck hope it goes well for you. I do tend to be extra sensitive to these things! My other frontline friends have had the vaccine too and not had any reactions! Xx
Yes I am one of the last to get it in my team and so far I think a couple of people have complained of a headache, nothing more. Hopefully will be ok!

I have no expectations on what others do. Asking someone to inject themselves with something which they might fear more then the virus is a big ask. If others want to get vaccinated that’s their choice, and none of my business. If people don’t, I may ask out of curiosity and hope of some enlightenment, rather then judgement.

How many people have died after taking the vaccine? How many people died today without the vaccine? Lot of dumb people about these days who can't even bother to provide evidence for their nonsensical claims... they work on the theory of "repeat it enough times and it becomes true".

what might make a comparable comparison is the number of otherwise healthy people who have died of covid vs the vaccine proportionally. I am going to see if I can find any info on that. Not because I want to prove anything either way, but the facts in black and white might be revealing and surprising either way they go.

But there's already concerns that the Gov holding back the second dose will do more harm than good .

I'm getting 'the sort of person who'd attack me at work' vibes.
Retail is hard at the best of times, and I haven't envied you at all during this crisis! The public are awful people who have turned more awful as time has gone on. I'm pleased to hear that you're being as understanding as you can be, and I completely agree with you.. just wear a mask... if you can!
I also agree in that the people who are anti mask and are using fake cards bought from amazon and faking a disability just so they don't have to wear one have taken the piss. Unfortunately though some people have become very judgmental, not everyone not wearing a mask is breaking the rules, not everyone shopping with one other person is breaking the rules, someone you see going into someone's house might not be breaking the rules. I have one experience of someone I support - she has dementia and her daughter was going in a few times a day to check on her. A neighbour screamed at her that she was going to phone the police as she'd seen the lady with dementia out more than once a day and the daughter going in her house... what have some people become!!
So whilst you're being very good in your shop, many aren't and unfortunately innocent people who understandably don't want to wear lanyard, or one's that have come from an abuse background don't need to be confronted the way they are, plus ultimately it's against the law to ask someone what what disability is, which many shops are doing - and again what anti mask people are taking advantage of.
Its all a vicious circle
I agree, we have to take into consideration people's circumstances. Visible or not, many people have different needs. My mum does visits as part of her job, she even mentioned she was worried about going round in case they get reported after something similar happened at another practice. Ridiculous! They even wear a uniform! People are being, understandably touchy, but need to realise when they're taking it too far. Mind your business, unless someone is having a party you don't know why someone is visiting.

The judgment needs to stop, which is why we want to do as much as we can to protect those with genuine exemptions. I get it's not comfortable, but we don't actually have a choice and we don't feel comfortable either. We have no idea their reaction, only yesterday did a member of staff get shouted at over it. All it does if fuel aggression towards those with disabilities which I think is very sad. A sad reflection of our society right now.

I really feel for shop workers in all of this and believe they should have been at the top of the queue getting vaccines, coming into contact with so many people and touching so many items is such a risk. This pandemic has truly brought out the worst in a lot of people 😔
I'm sad to see I'm 29 million down the list despite my job. Most of us are, even the older ones are way down the list.
We're at more risk than most, besides those in hospitals but as always we're forgotten about.

What i don't get with the anti maskers and anti vaxers/conspiracy theorists is they go on about freedom and not wanting to be controlled but ...

Pay taxes automatically taken from pay cheques and all information stored

Banks keep financial data

Passports track us around the world

Smart phones and social media track us day and night

Vehicle registrations

Cctv everywhere

NHS records containing all medical info

Police records

But yeah, a flimsy little piece of material is whats going to control you and limit your freedoms.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.