Tips to keep my indoor cat cool

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, it’s that awful time of year where it’s now hotter in my flat than outside at this time in the morning 😭

my flat is a top floor flat, with the sun on my bedroom all day long 🤦🏼‍♀️

it’s bleeping baking and yet with electricity prices sky rocketing, I literally cannot afford to even put a fan on and although I am just going to have to lump it, I’m worried about keeping my very fluffy cat, cool.

I have 2 cool mats, he can go on the lino, hell, he can even go on the table to spread out on a cool surface if he wants.

the curtains are shut in my bedroom and until the sun moves around a bit, I have cracked the balcony door open a little to try and let some cooler air in.

I’ve also put some bottles in the freezer and am thinking of wrapping them in small towels later to dot around so he can cosy up to them if he wants.

as for me, I’m feeling crap anyway with period pain so today isn’t going to be a fun day 😭 I’ll just try and stay hydrated and try not to move too much (gonna be hard trying not to writhe in agony) ☹

Anyone have anymore tips?

Aww bless you ☺ you sound like your doing a great job. I have a very old indoor puss and I've come to find that he will soon move if he's too hot. He won't sit next to a fan or use a cool mat etc, in typical cat style he does what the heck he likes. When he gets too hot or fed up of sunbathing he will move and find shelter. As long as your leaving water out for him I'm sure he will be fine!! Xx

Aww bless you ☺ you sound like your doing a great job. I have a very old indoor puss and I've come to find that he will soon move if he's too hot. He won't sit next to a fan or use a cool mat etc, in typical cat style he does what the heck he likes. When he gets too hot or fed up of sunbathing he will move and find shelter. As long as your leaving water out for him I'm sure he will be fine!! Xx
thank you. They definitely just do whatever they like, don’t they?

ive put a bottle of water in the fridge and will use that to top up his water fountain and I picked up some of the freezer cubes that I’m going to use in my pillows to stay cool at night. I have managed to keep the door cracked open to the balcony which has let some cool air in so it’s cooled a little inside. It’s later on that it really heats up so hopefully the little fluff ball will stay cool and I have treated myself to a mint magnum which I’m saving for later 😁

I have a cat that’s quite well built and fluffy.

I’ve found that if he is too hot then he will pant, but that’s only after a long play session during summer.

Usually I find him sunbathing all day and he really seems to be fine during the heat. He sometimes takes himself off to lie on the wooden floor downstairs (which is so cold) if he feels like it, but not often.

I’m also in a top floor flat with an indoor cat so can’t have the windows open but really cats systems are very good at self regulating their body temperatures so as long as he/she has access to shaded areas and water I wouldn’t worry. Keep some blinds/curtains shut where you can and windows slightly open if possible and they’ll be fine. On Saturday (which was boiling hot here) my cat was snuggled under my duvet the daft thing!! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I’m also in a top floor flat with an indoor cat so can’t have the windows open but really cats systems are very good at self regulating their body temperatures so as long as he/she has access to shaded areas and water I wouldn’t worry. Keep some blinds/curtains shut where you can and windows slightly open if possible and they’ll be fine. On Saturday (which was boiling hot here) my cat was snuggled under my duvet the daft thing!! 😂
cats! They are such strange buggers 😂

I froze some water bottles and when it was really warm last night, I put them under ‘his’ towel on the edge which he loved! I did the same on my bed, in between the cool mat and his towel (put the bottles in freezer bags so nothing got wet) and he was very comfortable all night. So I feel a lot better about it and know I don’t have to worry as much, it’s me thats a sweaty mess 😂

There's a company called "flat cats" who do like mesh screens for doors/windows (they're like strong velcro attached). I have them on my upstairs windows and they weren't expensive but means I can open the windows without fear of an escapee lol I do have a catio too so could possibly mesh the balcony somehow to be able to open the door?

I have those cool mats and I put out extra water but what works best for my cats is just to let them be. I make sure that of im
Away I close the blinds and stuff but they will look for cool surfaces themselves.

There's a company called "flat cats" who do like mesh screens for doors/windows (they're like strong velcro attached). I have them on my upstairs windows and they weren't expensive but means I can open the windows without fear of an escapee lol I do have a catio too so could possibly mesh the balcony somehow to be able to open the door?
Flat cats are amazing! Our cat scales everything given half a chance, and they stay up - they’re pretty sturdy.

Instead of frozen water bottles, we use those reusable injury ice packs which work a treat in her bed. We also have a couple of quiet mark fans that we have going when it gets really warm.
We also freeze webbox lick-e-lix like a little cat ice cream. She loves them

Reactions: 1