Tips to give up breastfeeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby is nearly 18months and still a boob monster.
She eats 3 meals a day but mostly feeds the floor.
She has cups of water.
Seldom takes dummy.
She's take or leave yogurt sometimes she eats it sometimes she makes a mess.
I do feed to sleep trap got into not my 1st should know better.
She will drink small amounts cows milk but thinks it's hilarious pouring the milk on the floor.
Currently teething so biting lots of things.
Also biting me and demanding feed in the night.
I'm done how to I try and give up.
Cold turkey? Don't want mastitis
Health visitors like gradually cut back and distract so prolong and deter day time feeding.
Also get hear nearly to sleep before down to sleep except she then l opens her eyes screaming.

Any good advice welcome as feeling shattered.

High neck tops so no easy access and lots of distraction - you could try cutting down times of feeds too so if she normally feeds for 10 min you could let her feed for 9 min for a few days then 8 etc.

Reactions: 1
Oh gosh, I remember this so well. My youngest son was almost four years old before I eventually had to go cold turkey. Nothing worked for us :( cutting back helped and because of his age we were just down to comfort feeds before bed and one in the morning. But I found it difficult to cut back on the actual duration of the feed. He was old enough to ask and that was my biggest issue so I think you have picked the best time to stop.
As I'd already cut back to just 2 feeds per day, when I did go cold turkey I didn't get engorged or mastitis thankfully. Bribery helped.... Gah, I'm going to follow this thread for ideas from others as I'm due to have another baby soon and I do not want to go through that again!

Also well done lovely, it's a huge achievement for you both x

High neck tops that restricted her access and having my husband put her to bed helped me. Good luck x

I found counting down or up whichever you prefer to give warning I was about to unlatch helped. Then I would reduce the length of time with each feed. I found after a while as soon as I started counting down he would come off himself before I got to one. As others have said distracting also works. Good luck its such a pain trying to stop

Definitely don't go cold turkey as mastitis is horrible. I found dropping one feed at a time worked for me. Replaced that feed with a sippy of cow's milk and a snack and tried to distract her. Did that for a few days and then dropped a different one. Did just morning and night for a while and then dropped the morning one (hubby got her up and gave her a sippy of milk and breakfast). Eventually dropped the bedtime feed, again got hubby to put her to bed. Well done for lasting so long!