Things in life that have just quietly disappeared

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipstick, Wella Colour Mousse in Copper and Body Shop Ananya perfume. And EX-CLA-MATION!!! (Make a statement without saying a word...)

Ghostwriter on the telly on wheels at primary school
Omg loved Exclamation.
Also jovan musk oil and limara body spray.

Reactions: 2
  • Watching awful daytime tv on sick days (now it’s binge watching Netflix.
  • Having to switch cables in back of TV to switch between TV & games consoles/VCR etc.
  • Taking pictures and not knowing how bad they turned out until you got them developed. Followed by the awkwardness of knowing someone else has seen these dodgy drunken photos too.
  • Oral sex after marriage 😜
  • Answering house phone at literally having to sit in same spot while family go on for hours.
  • Toys in breakfast cereal

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Yep, there is. Used to live in Upminster πŸ˜‚
i forgot about that one ! were greedy in havering..3 wimpys 🀣

Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipstick, Wella Colour Mousse in Copper and Body Shop Ananya perfume. And EX-CLA-MATION!!! (Make a statement without saying a word...)

these were the items eveyone used in my early teens ..definitely a ook in the 80s

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Milk at break time in primary school. In a proper tiny bottle that you poked a straw through the foil top. It was always a bit warm where it had been sat out all morning 🀒
(Born in β€˜71 so this was mid to late 70s)
Oh and getting to be milk monitor and handing out the bottles! πŸ˜‚

Reactions: 4
Buying ex jukebox singles from the second hand record stall in the market - they had their centres removed so you had to use a little replacement bit of plastic in order to play them on your record player.

Harmony hair colours in Toblerone shaped little boxes. My boyfriend never saw my natural hair colour for about 5 years!

• Haha
Milk at break time in primary school. In a proper tiny bottle that you poked a straw through the foil top. It was always a bit warm where it had been sat out all morning 🀒
My husband talked about having milk at school then he said Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher took that privilege away.

Other things that have slowly disappeared include all the shops i grew up visiting:
Woolworths, BHS, Virgin Megastores, Our Price, Index, QS, C&A(have seen one in France), Safeway Supermarkets....

Reactions: 3
My husband talked about having milk at school then he said Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher took that privilege away.

Other things that have slowly disappeared include all the shops i grew up visiting:
Woolworths, BHS, Virgin Megastores, Our Price, Index, QS, C&A(have seen one in France), Safeway Supermarkets....
Does anyone remember BHS having a cheese counter? My auntie took me to one in Warwickshire when I was a child and there were big wheels of cheese. She ordered a nice selection of English cheeses so I could try them. Prior to that I didn't like cheese much as I was living in the US and the cheese selection was dire. Plastic burger cheese was used to make grilled cheese sandwiches. No one there ate cheese for a pudding course. It was mainly served in a little crock with crackers as an appetiser or at drinks parties.

Fuzzy felts
King cone
Coconut sweet tobacco
Trick stick
Treets and toffee treets
R whites lemonade
R whites lemonade is still around. Just flicking through a Lidl mag and if you have one near you it’s meant to go on offer on Thursday 😊

Does anyone remember BHS having a cheese counter? My auntie took me to one in Warwickshire when I was a child and there were big wheels of cheese. She ordered a nice selection of English cheeses so I could try them. Prior to that I didn't like cheese much as I was living in the US and the cheese selection was dire. Plastic burger cheese was used to make grilled cheese sandwiches. No one there ate cheese for a pudding course. It was mainly served in a little crock with crackers as an appetiser or at drinks parties.
I remember them having a Cafe but no cheese counter

R whites lemonade is still around. Just flicking through a Lidl mag and if you have one near you it’s meant to go on offer on Thursday 😊
R White's is still around. You can buy it in a supermarket beginning with T and ending in esco 🀣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I remember them having a Cafe but no cheese counter

R White's is still around. You can buy it in a supermarket beginning with T and ending in esco 🀣
Thought it was in most supermarkets tbh just thought we all love a bargain don’t we πŸ˜‰

Thought it was in most supermarkets tbh just thought we all love a bargain don’t we πŸ˜‰
I only mentioned the T word as i work for them but it'll be cheaper elsewhere 🀣. R Whites is lovely its much better than the shops own version.

• Haha
Diamond cable (used to be a black box witg red digital numbers on) when cable was new and you used to be able to call the box up for free on 150 to get your song on!

I remember my now 13 year old coming home from nursery excited because he had had milk and crack at playtime. Thankfully he meant milk and crackers πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7

That was my go to look. Sometimes I would wear Rimmel Whizz lipstick, had a nice taste. Oh and a Celtic style plastic chocker

If anyone was naughty in our class our teacher would make us wait for milk until the end of the day when it was warm and virtually curdled. And you were not allowed to leave until it was finished. She was an evil old bat!
Being a milk or straw monitor was a highlight! πŸ˜†

• Sick
A few people have mentioned being milk monitor which i remember too, but we also had.....:the overhead projector job! πŸ‘€
Now that was a job that everyone wanted but it came with some pressure let me tell you!
Moving the hymn sheet down in time for everyone to sing along corrr i’d be sweating my pippets off.
From the tiny ant from the tiny ant to the elephantttt to the elephant...from the snake to the kangeroo..πŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 17
A few people have mentioned being milk monitor which i remember too, but we also had.....:the overhead projector job! πŸ‘€
Now that was a job that everyone wanted but it came with some pressure let me tell you!
Moving the hymn sheet down in time for everyone to sing along corrr i’d be sweating my pippets off.
From the tiny ant from the tiny ant to the elephantttt to the elephant...from the snake to the kangeroo..πŸ˜†
the tv in wheels that came into the hall so you could watch one of those for schools programmes like how we used to live

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.