Theresa May to stand down as Prime Minister on June 7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Theresa May has said she will quit as Conservative leader on 7 June, paving the way for a contest to decide a new prime minister.

In an emotional statement in Downing St, she said she had "done my best" to honour the 2016 EU referendum result.

It would remain a matter of "deep regret" that she had been unable to deliver Brexit, she added.

Mrs May said she will continue to serve as prime minister while a Conservative leadership contest takes place.

She will step down as Tory leader on 7 June and a leadership contest is due to begin the following week.

------------
She's done a terrible job, but it was a poisoned chalice. I'm not sure if anyone else in parliament could have done a better job, she tried to go for the middle ground in a divided nation and just ended up with frustrating everyone.

Fair play to her she tried what she thought was best and lasted much longer than anyone thought she would do.

Now Boris will come in and solve it all

• Angry
Reactions: 2
Ignoring windrush, Grenfell, mass deportation and mass food bank usage, when Boris is PM and Farages influence leads us to a no deal Brexit and our economy nosedives, whilst we all live unmedicated, starving and jobless, Theresa and her soft-ish Brexit will be looked back on fondly.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I’m starting to think Prime Ministers only leave when they convinced the person after them will be worse. The David Cameron years seem like luxury compared to Mays time in power but at the time they made Browns tenure look amazing

Whether you agree to Brexit or not, the British public voted for that and that is what should be delivered. It was difficult not to feel sympathy for her when she cried, but May saying she did her best is bollocks. She could have made a no deal brexit and tried harder. She didn't really help the victims of Grenfell or Manchester Arena and the other attacks. I remember 2017 being a terrifying year of 3 attacks at least and her just coming out with a custom made pre-written speech. I feel like she could have done more for this country and it is in her best interests (and ours) that she steps down.

Reactions: 4
God help us all if Boris gets in. He's a clown
No he's very cunning and manipulative and plays up the clown persona to hide these traits. So I agree with the "God help us all" part.

Can't really see it being anyone BUT him. He's been biding his time waiting for this ever since Cameron announced he was going to leave during his second term (that he woukdnt even stand for a third election )and then announced this little referendum on Europe...

Reactions: 7
I’m massively insulted with the narrative in some media outlets that May is sort of female icon “doing a mans job”. Abysmal Prime Minister, clearly a massive vanity project for her so thank duck she’s got the message and moved on. You just need to look at bee voting history and awful policies as Home Secretary to get a picture of the type of person she is. What a state British politics is. David Miliband please come and save us 🙏🏽

Reactions: 1
Divided as we are, I think that's the one thing everyone can agree on. Politics is a mess. I voted yesterday and the "slip" was more like a scroll there where so many independent candidates and random parties. A physicsl sign of the lack of cohesion right now. I would be interested to know if it was the same voting outside of London ? I think it's divided that way , rather than constituencies. The fact I was voting at all shows how strange times are - anyone vote in the last EU election in 2014? Didn't think so

Whether you agree to Brexit or not, the British public voted for that and that is what should be delivered. It was difficult not to feel sympathy for her when she cried, but May saying she did her best is bollocks. She could have made a no deal brexit and tried harder.
There’s a reason no one has the bollocks to make the decision on Brexit, no one wants to take the blame for when it goes wrong because it’s going to be that much of a disaster. That tells you why we shouldn’t leave.

Reactions: 5
There’s a reason no one has the bollocks to make the decision on Brexit, no one wants to take the blame for when it goes wrong because it’s going to be that much of a disaster. That tells you why we shouldn’t leave.
But that's your opinion as a remainer. The majority was leave and are we going to keep having revotes when the other side disgarees to make each other happy? Vote leave then when remainers are unhappy vote stay then the brexiteers are unhappy and we vote leave?

But that's your opinion as a remainer. The majority was leave and are we going to keep having revotes when the other side disgarees to make each other happy? Vote leave then when remainers are unhappy vote stay then the brexiteers are unhappy and we vote leave?
Damn straight that my opinion as a remainder 🤣 economic uncertainty for long periods of time isn’t good for the country. We need this finished as soon as possible and like it or not but if MPs agreed to deal to leave EU wouldn’t be the end to the arguing it would mean people would move onto arguing about the next stage. Only way to get stability back is to pull the plug on article 50, we’ve had our tantrum and it’s costing our country a lot

Brexit isn’t happening in a vacuum; the EU today isn’t the same as the EU of 2016.

Personally think even if this all disappears and we remain, EU will suffer slow, expensive implosion in next few years after being weighted down and fractured by populists parties. Italy is already on the brink of recession. Trade union is good, political union is bad.

I’ve always said if we leave we need to leave as a group, preferably with France. My biggest concern is if our economy goes tits up and public opinion backtracks so badly that the next government decides to go back into the EU then we will lose our special arrangements and have to have the Euro and then we will be in a much worse position than we are in now. Right now we’ve got something to lose that’s worth hanging on to

I’ve always said if we leave we need to leave as a group, preferably with France. My biggest concern is if our economy goes tits up and public opinion backtracks so badly that the next government decides to go back into the EU then we will lose our special arrangements and have to have the Euro and then we will be in a much worse position than we are in now. Right now we’ve got something to lose that’s worth hanging on to
Yeah I think it’s a fair assumption. The economy WILL go tits up when we leave.

BUT I do believe we have enough asset and industry to pull things round again. Business has been preparing and negotiating for 3 years for Brexit and is always ready for trade, their difficulty is government not telling them how it’s going to be, it’s been really terrible management by our so called leaders.

Long term, I actually think having political distance from the EU will prove beneficial because it’s a behemoth of expense and upcoming turmoil in the hands of too few, but short term will be a tough and acrimonious divorce

Damn straight that my opinion as a remainder 🤣 economic uncertainty for long periods of time isn’t good for the country. We need this finished as soon as possible and like it or not but if MPs agreed to deal to leave EU wouldn’t be the end to the arguing it would mean people would move onto arguing about the next stage. Only way to get stability back is to pull the plug on article 50, we’ve had our tantrum and it’s costing our country a lot

Unfortunately the majority voted leave and we have to face the consequences of if we do (which I highly highly doubt we ever will leave). Maybe people will learn a lesson then. But something does need to be done about the revolving door of immigration, we let anybody in without checks on them. Look at the Salman Abedi lad who was responsible for Manchester.. He was freely allowed in and out to Libya doing what we all found out when it was too late! Also rapists and other serious offences should be deported in my view, just as if we commit crimes in other countries we won't be tolerated there. But of course I'll probably get called racist for this post. I have no issues with the people who come here for a better life but the unsavoury people should be dealt with a firm hand.

Unfortunately the majority voted leave and we have to face the consequences of if we do (which I highly highly doubt we ever will leave). Maybe people will learn a lesson then. But something does need to be done about the revolving door of immigration, we let anybody in without checks on them. Look at the Salman Abedi lad who was responsible for Manchester.. He was freely allowed in and out to Libya doing what we all found out when it was too late! Also rapists and other serious offences should be deported in my view, just as if we commit crimes in other countries we won't be tolerated there. But of course I'll probably get called racist for this post. I have no issues with the people who come here for a better life but the unsavoury people should be dealt with a firm hand.
I completely agree something needs to get done about immigration however the lie needs to stop being peddled that it’s the EU that’s stopping us.
The example you gave above was someone going to/from Libya, which isn’t in the EU so that is 100% up the government to stop him coming in/out. Also have a look at immigration figures since voting to leave, the EU migrant (which allegedly we couldn’t stop) is going down, and the non EU migrants (which we can stop) is skyrocketing.
Also a very important point, just because the majority voted leave doesn’t mean we have to if the government decides it’s not in the best interest of the Country (they wouldn’t do that because of backlash.
Bottom line is half the country Want to leave and half want to stay, there a few on the fence who flip between and one any given day either side could have a majority in a vote. Bigger problem though is whichever side doesn’t get their way will punish the government at the next election. Whoever makes the decision is fucked either way so they need to ignore the people because they can’t win by following them. Go for whatever will get our economy up and running quicker then the people who sulk will get shut up quicker

Reactions: 6
I completely agree something needs to get done about immigration however the lie needs to stop being peddled that it’s the EU that’s stopping us.
The example you gave above was someone going to/from Libya, which isn’t in the EU so that is 100% up the government to stop him coming in/out. Also have a look at immigration figures since voting to leave, the EU migrant (which allegedly we couldn’t stop) is going down, and the non EU migrants (which we can stop) is skyrocketing.
Also a very important point, just because the majority voted leave doesn’t mean we have to if the government decides it’s not in the best interest of the Country (they wouldn’t do that because of backlash.
Bottom line is half the country Want to leave and half want to stay, there a few on the fence who flip between and one any given day either side could have a majority in a vote. Bigger problem though is whichever side doesn’t get their way will punish the government at the next election. Whoever makes the decision is fucked either way so they need to ignore the people because they can’t win by following them. Go for whatever will get our economy up and running quicker then the people who sulk will get shut up quicker
I'm glad someone agrees for once and I'm not being seen as racist, that word gets thrown about far too much. Oh I know that Libya isn't in the EU, but it is an example of how these people come and go from all over without being stopped and are potentially very dangerous. What is it coming to that busy public places are having bollards in place incase of attack? David Cameron did not help when he promised that he would deal with immigration and never did much to help towards it, that's why people got fed up and wanted Brexit. That's (let's be honest) the main reason brexiteers want to leave.

Yes I can see that, the buck has passed for too long, I remember growing up listening to a labour blame things on EU and then Tories took over and blame EU. They blame EU because they’ve been a great scapegoat for years then everyone went “oh tit” when we voted leave and when you ask people the reasons it’s a lot for things the EU didn’t really affect us for or at least not in the way people believed.