The Thief, his wife and the Canoe - ITV

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Such a very bizarre couple. Enjoyed it but like others had it not been true I would have felt the programme was not believable.

Reactions: 2
I've watched all the episodes now and I did end up feeling sorry for Anne. Her husband was a coercive git and she was weak going along with his plans.

It must have been terrible for the sons, they were the victims in this. I'm guessing that they no longer see their father as he now lives in the Philippines with his new wife. It seems typical that a man like Darwin would bugger off and start a new life abroad eventually.

Reactions: 12
I'm enjoying the documentary on tonight. Despite being from the area I don't really remember much about it when it actually happened.

Just finished it. I'll harp on about the accents one more time. I don't think there was a single Teesside accent in the show at all, not even the side characters?

Anyway, I really struggled to feel any sympathy for Anne whatsoever. I'm glad that she hasn't completely lost touch with the two lads, but in the end, she got what she deserved. I wonder if it would have been better narrated by another character or not at all?

Reactions: 8
I’m currently on the bit where he returns claiming amnesia and he’s sat on the sofa with the boys looking through the photo album pretending not to recognise anything and “catching up”

how could someone do that to their children IRL?! Unbelievably cruel. What a tosser!

like someone said previously…. If this hadn't ACTUALLY happened, this would be the most shittest unbelievable drama itv had ever made! As it goes I’m quite enjoying it- but I agree about the accents.

Reactions: 12
I’ve finished episode 3.
Eddie Marsen is brilliant.
I do feel sorry for Anne. The husband was a real hole.
I do feel he was extremely controlling & she was stuck.
But also, lying to your children about dying or their father dying when he is still alive is absolutely horrific.
John Darwin was def messed up in the head.

Reactions: 5
Was thinking, JD’s current wife says he’s gone to Ukraine… do you think she’s about to claim insurance when he is missing?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
Was thinking, JD’s current wife says he’s gone to Ukraine… do you think she’s about to claim insurance when he is missing?

She’s quoted as saying he has very good life insurance, but I think they’re either trolling the press or just straight out lying as I cannot imagine a notorious, elderly life-insurance fraudster would manage to acquire life insurance from any provider.

He hasn’t gone to to fight in Ukraine. He’s a self-serving narcissist in his seventies. They’re just making tit up for publicity.

Reactions: 9
Just finished it. I'll harp on about the accents one more time. I don't think there was a single Teesside accent in the show at all, not even the side characters?

Anyway, I really struggled to feel any sympathy for Anne whatsoever. I'm glad that she hasn't completely lost touch with the two lads, but in the end, she got what she deserved. I wonder if it would have been better narrated by another character or not at all?
I got that John & Anne we’re from Collieries around Durham and had only recently moved to Seaton… so their accents wouldn’t be of a Teessider. However during the scenes with the Police (with Cleveland Police emblazoned in the background) not one of them spoke with a Teesside accent either. Didn’t even try 🤣

I got that John & Anne we’re from Collieries around Durham and had only recently moved to Seaton… so their accents wouldn’t be of a Teessider. However during the scenes with the Police (with Cleveland Police emblazoned in the background) not one of them spoke with a Teesside accent either. Didn’t even try 🤣
I still haven’t recovered from Karl Pilkington’s appearance either… couldn’t take him seriously haha!

Reactions: 7
We’ve watched this, kinda felt sorry for Anne but at the same time, she had so many chances to turn him in. He came across as a bully n a control freak. When they were being interviewed by the police she could of course told of truth!
watching the documentary on itv hub now.

• Sick

I still haven’t recovered from Karl Pilkington’s appearance either… couldn’t take him seriously haha!
Watching the documentary that aired after it, John didn't even seem to have a Northern accent at all though Anne did, it wasn't a Teesside accent (she spoke like my Aunty from Durham). However the police and the prison officers had strong Teesside accents so it would have been nice for that to be reflected in the show. Their accents were so generic it could have been set anywhere!

I thought that was him! I said to my boyfriend it looked like the idiot abroad and he laughed at me!

Watching the documentary that aired after it, John didn't even seem to have a Northern accent at all though Anne did, it wasn't a Teesside accent (she spoke like my Aunty from Durham). However the police and the prison officers had strong Teesside accents so it would have been nice for that to be reflected in the show. Their accents were so generic it could have been set anywhere!
Yeah, I watched a bit of that. John's accent is what I'd describe as 'drifting' and Anne's is more County Durham. The actress playing her was doing something odd with 'i' vowels that I've never heard anywhere in the north east before. She was apparently born in Boro 🤷‍♀️

We watched this, and like someone else said - if it wasn't true it would be too far fetched to be believable!

I enjoyed it, not know the area or accents that didn't really bother me. I found it interesting, I struggle to believe that Anne was as innocent as she made out but equally John was a complete control freak, and I wonder if over the year she'd just been ground down by him and lost the ability to stand up to him. I can't imagine choosing to lie to your kids like she did for so long.

Reactions: 6
He was definitely loving the limelight in the press interviews, smirking all the time. Now he's got himself a Thai bride...

Reactions: 3
I don't know how factually accurate but was a good drama to watch and everyone has said if it was made up you wouldn't believe it.

I know he’s a selfish man but to lie to your children is wicked. I think they’ve forgiven her, she is very lucky.

Reactions: 7
Yeah, I don't think having her narrating it is a great idea - she's not really a victim and she went along with it all
I agree.

She didn't want to return to England because she knew they were in a lot of trouble.

I am happy for her that she's reconnecting with her sons.

I wonder how long it would have taken for the whole story to unravel without the photo? Do we think the police were on to them already?

I wonder how long it would have taken for the whole story to unravel without the photo? Do we think the police were on to them already?
It's hard to believe that it wouldn't have been discovered at some point. Surely the sons may have wanted to visit their mum in Panama. It would have been a shock to them if they turned up and found their dad there.

Reactions: 1