The Sopranos

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think I tried an episode but couldn't really get into it. Is it a slow burner?
It’s really bizarre but I loved it! Not one to watch if you’re PC because some parts idk how they got away with but he’s such a loveable rogue I was sad when it ended. It’s a shame it wasn’t wrapped up properly tho because it was supposed to follow on then got cancelled.

Reactions: 1
So charisma aside does anyone actually think Tony was a successful boss? He had multiple rats in his ranks and inner circle, he had so much trouble with internal arguments and with the other families. If you go by the black screen at the end meaning he died (rip 😢) then he was only a boss for what, 5ish years?

rewatching it for the 3rd time and when I really thought about I didn’t think he was. He spent most of the time running around putting out fires. I get that if Jackie had lived then he wouldn’t be boss and it was role he had to step into but I don’t think he was very successful at it.

almost finished. Never emotionally ready for the end even when I know it’s coming.

So charisma aside does anyone actually think Tony was a successful boss? He had multiple rats in his ranks and inner circle, he had so much trouble with internal arguments and with the other families. If you go by the black screen at the end meaning he died (rip 😢) then he was only a boss for what, 5ish years?

rewatching it for the 3rd time and when I really thought about I didn’t think he was. He spent most of the time running around putting out fires. I get that if Jackie had lived then he wouldn’t be boss and it was role he had to step into but I don’t think he was very successful at it.

almost finished. Never emotionally ready for the end even when I know it’s coming.
I just watched the episode where they travel to Italy and you can see that Tony is really out of his depth there. I think charisma can excuse a lot, maybe he wasn’t the best but you couldn’t buy the charisma that Tony had and that made him good enough I think.

Reactions: 7
I copied my dad's DVD boxset to my NASbox, with the intention of watching this highly praised show, but never really got round to doing so, probably because I thought it would be a violent gangster/Godfather type of affair with very little story and lots of guns and bullets.

Breaking Bad, was another highly praised show that I watched but gave up on after season 2. I just hope when I do finally get round to watching The Sopranos the same won't happen.

I copied my dad's DVD boxset to my NASbox, with the intention of watching this highly praised show, but never really got round to doing so, probably because I thought it would be a violent gangster/Godfather type of affair with very little story and lots of guns and bullets.

Breaking Bad, was another highly praised show that I watched but gave up on after season 2. I just hope when I do finally get round to watching The Sopranos the same won't happen.
I got bored of breaking bad, Sopranos do have violent scenes but have brilliant story lines and the characters are the best compared to any other show, hope you get to enjoy it soon

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I got bored of breaking bad, Sopranos do have violent scenes but have brilliant story lines and the characters are the best compared to any other show, hope you get to enjoy it soon
Thanks!

I love good stories/story arcs and 3 dimensional characters. I don't mind the sex/violence if its justified. But I watched Breaking Bad with high hopes, but gave up by S2.

My favourite TV drama is "The Wire", followed by "The West Wing". I just hope The Sopranos will keep me engrossed when I do finally sit down and watch it :)

Thanks!

I love good stories/story arcs and 3 dimensional characters. I don't mind the sex/violence if its justified. But I watched Breaking Bad with high hopes, but gave up by S2.

My favourite TV drama is "The Wire", followed by "The West Wing". I just hope The Sopranos will keep me engrossed when I do finally sit down and watch it :)
I think you have to watch The Sopranos a few times to get the subtle references to what goes on in each episode. It is very cleverly written and many people think it is all gore and violence and that is that, but it’s not. There are very many tender scenes which tug at your emotions, which we can all identify with. There are also some very funny moments too.

Reactions: 6
I think you have to watch The Sopranos a few times to get the subtle references to what goes on in each episode. It is very cleverly written and many people think it is all gore and violence and that is that, but it’s not. There are very many tender scenes which tug at your emotions, which we can all identify with. There are also some very funny moments too.
Yes, "The Wire" was written in very much the same way - you had to rewatch several times to understand the sub-plots and character traits, which I always find fascinating.

I'll make a point of watching S1 this weekend, and will stick with it :)

Reactions: 3
Exactly this. I’ve just started rewatching it and I’m enjoying even more this time round. It’s just so brilliantly written and acted.

I’m rewatching the series and I forgot how terrible Richie is. He’s so annoying. Janice sure does know how to pick them 😂

• Haha
I’m on season 5 and he’s starting to grate on me now but not as much AJ. He’s the worst character overall for me.
Nah. I think he’s great. Spoilt mummy’s boy. Carmella was NEVR going to let him go into waste management. So AJ is what you end up getting if you’re not academic. A spoilt prat. Great character

Reactions: 4
Nah. I think he’s great. Spoilt mummy’s boy. Carmella was NEVR going to let him go into waste management. So AJ is what you end up getting if you’re not academic. A spoilt prat. Great character
Oh no I understand why he’s a spoiled loser but I find him almost unwatchable. I don’t particularly rate Robert Iler tbh so maybe a better actor could’ve brought something more to the part.
86D1D555-83EF-49AE-92C9-93BE2995E462.gif

I might watch The Wire, as a few have recommended that series to me.
Now don’t come for me... But I feel The Wire just edges The Sopranos. It’s a slow burner. And like The Sopranos is brilliantly written. Unlike The Sopranos it hasn’t so much of the humour. But that being said there is enough humour as characters develop. Idris Elba and Dominic West in their break out roles. Brits having the talent and swagger to play alongside many Maryland born and bred actors. Way back when it wasn’t fashionable. Amazing.