The share my cat thread! #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I ask some advice. My kitten (she of the aforementioned curtain pooping incident) has a very rounded abdomen which does seem to be getting bigger. She's only 16 weeks so surely she can't have entered heat and have been impregnated?

She suddenly started trying to escape a couple of weeks ago (maybe on heat?) so the catflap got set to only open inwards. As far as I'm aware she only managed to get out once. The pooing and weeing everywhere is new too. She's litter trained and seems happy using the tray.

She is also suddenly very into in cuddling with lots of purring. Previous she hasn't really been that affectionate with me.

Could it just be heat or a phantom pregnancy?

I had a cat years ago who had kittens young. Labour was fine but there must have been a problem, with the health of one of the kittens or how safe she felt because she ate one of them! As in, I got up to find the kitten head first in her mouth and when she put it down it was just the body sat there with no head. It's not an experience I wish to repeat.

Eta: I have a vet app booked for 11th Oct.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Can I ask some advice. My kitten (she of the aforementioned curtain pooping incident) has a very rounded abdomen which does seem to be getting bigger. She's only 16 weeks so surely she can't have entered heat and have been impregnated?

She suddenly started trying to escape a couple of weeks ago (maybe on heat?) so the catflap got set to only open inwards. As far as I'm aware she only managed to get out once. The pooing and weeing everywhere is new too. She's litter trained and seems happy using the tray.

She is also suddenly very into in cuddling with lots of purring. Previous she hasn't really been that affectionate with me.

Could it just be heat or a phantom pregnancy?

I had a cat years ago who had kittens young. Labour was fine but there must have been a problem, with the health of one of the kittens or how safe she felt because she ate one of them! As in, I got up to find the kitten head first in her mouth and when she put it down it was just the body sat there with no head. It's not an experience I wish to repeat.

Eta: I have a vet app booked for 11th Oct.
Has she been wormed?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Okay this might be the wrong thread but just looking for some advice!
I have a resident hedgehog who comes by every night and i put cat food out for him. Over the last couple of weeks, a cat has been coming by and helping itself to the food, so I’ve started putting extra out. The bowl is just outside my French windows, so we can see each other.
The cat comes to my garden multiple times a day but if it spots me in daylight hours, it won’t go near the food and runs away. At night, it is happy enough to eat the food as long as I don’t move too much and don’t make too much eye contact (slow blinks are okay).
The cat is clearly very hungry because it always Wolfs the food and if I put anything else out, it’s gone by the morning.
I’m a real cat lover and this little guy seems to be a stray as it’s so wary of me, but I want to know if anyone has suggestions for anything I can do to get it to trust me? I know it’ll be a long haul and take several months/weeks but I’d like for it to be able to come and eat every day without thinking I’m going to attack just because I’m nearby!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have a resident hedgehog who comes by every night and i put cat food out for him. Over the last couple of weeks, a cat has been coming by and helping itself to the food, so I’ve started putting extra out. The bowl is just outside my French windows, so we can see each other.
The cat comes to my garden multiple times a day but if it spots me in daylight hours, it won’t go near the food and runs away. At night, it is happy enough to eat the food as long as I don’t move too much and don’t make too much eye contact (slow blinks are okay).
The cat is clearly very hungry because it always Wolfs the food and if I put anything else out, it’s gone by the morning.
I’m a real cat lover and this little guy seems to be a stray as it’s so wary of me, but I want to know if anyone has suggestions for anything I can do to get it to trust me? I know it’ll be a long haul and take several months/weeks but I’d like for it to be able to come and eat every day without thinking I’m going to attack just because I’m nearby!
Maybe worth checking your local residents Fb group,place a pic of puss and ask if anybody knows who the cat belongs to,it maybe just a puss that loves it grub,but local group may know if the cat belongs to anybody.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
You'll just have keep doing what you're doing, like you said it will take a while. Maybe put a dish of water out there as well if there's none nearby?

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I second checking around to see if anyone is missing him. If not I would maybe try putting out a little shelter for him. I got a plastic dog kennel for my cats for when I can’t get them in at night

• Heart
We have had a huge breakthrough on the puppy/cat front.

Yesterday evening, we had puppy and both cats asleep in the same room!! ❤❤

This has made me so happy, my heart could burst. My babies are at least tolerating him

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thanks for the advice guys! I am 99% certain he is a stray just because of how wary he is and always starving - there are quite a lot of strays near where I live.
I haven’t seen anyone posting about a missing cat and the only time he doesn’t run off as soon as he sees me is when it’s dark, so I can only see the reflection of his eyes as he is pitch black - so wouldn’t be able to get a useful photo!
I’ve been sat in my living room with the French windows open this evening and he popped by but then ran off when he saw me. I think I’m going to start leaving the windows open a bit later in the evenings so he can get used to them. little baby steps!

• Heart
Oh dear,I’m so devastated I had to say goodbye to my darling boy Dave Thursday,I’m so in bits,he was my gorgeous boy,company and just a lovely natured boy.I’m in bits..😢
E1-EADAE9-AAB2-40-FB-A396-1-DBD671-C2-F40.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.