The Royal Family #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think she became Queen at 18, was very sheltered and immature even for an 18 year old, then married Albert, fell madly in love in a teenage way then proceeded to have lots of sex and babies, then he died and she was still a teenage drama queen at heart and hadn't really done anything else.
Her potential lack of maturity is a good point. She was hardly allowed to do anything as a child thanks to her controlling mother. Then l suspect she had less say than we might think as Queen thanks to the endless pregnancies. I wonder how much of her pregnancies she would have been in confinement for.

Reactions: 3
Lucy Worsley has said Albert kept her pregnant so he could be king in all but name.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Madame Tussauds have moved Meghan and Harry away from the royals lol. I had never seen the royal wax works but boy are they bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Ok, I don’t get why Harry is going on Dax Shepherds podcast saying that he suffers from genetic pain? Because yes that’s true but saying it publicly is just going to harm relationships even further surely?

Lucy Worsley has said Albert kept her pregnant so he could be king in all but name.
Wow, hadn’t thought of it like that! I am really interested in the Victorian era, do you (or does anyone else) know of any books or documentaries that cover her reign, I want to learn more!

Reactions: 8
What in hell is genetic pain?
I think he’s saying that the pain he suffered from his father’s parenting is partly due to the pain that his father suffered from his grandparents parenting. Which kinda sounds like he’s saying the Queen was a bad mum?

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Pain he’s suffered - spoilt brat! I honestly wish they’d bore off! The most privileged human that ever lived and he just can’t stop publicly whining!

Reactions: 24
I think he’s saying that the pain he suffered from his father’s parenting is partly due to the pain that his father suffered from his grandparents parenting. Which kinda sounds like he’s saying the Queen was a bad mum?
Well, she did disappear off for months at a time, either on tour or playing Navy wife in Malta, leaving Charles and Anne as small children to be looked after by her parents - no wonder Charles was close to his grandmother. There's an excruciating photo and video clip of HM greeting Charles after an absence - with a handshake. She also handed over family decisions to Philip to make up to him about his secondary position and his children not taking his name; Philip and Charles did not get on for a long time, being totally opposite characters, and Charles completely hated Gordonstoun as opposed to Philip thoroughly enjoying it.

ETA: Philip had not had a family home or close family since he was eight and had been separated from his parents since, with almost no contact. He was open about enjoying the family atmosphere with Elizabeth, Margaret and their parents. He probably didn't have much of a clue about bringing up children and had learned not to show his emotions but "just get on with it" because there was no other option. Perhaps not the best person to be father to a sensitive, romantic, artistic son. I do find it surprising that the Queen was so distant from her first two children though, given the warm and close family she had grown up in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Pain he’s suffered - spoilt brat! I honestly wish they’d bore off! The most privileged human that ever lived and he just can’t stop publicly whining!

How is being born to be a spare (in case the other one dies) a privilege? Sounds like something out a horror film. And what choices to the royal children have? Can they grow up to be doctors, lawyers, musicians? Nope.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Wow.

I mean l guess that is possible but it's so American. I can totally imagine Meghan telling him that.

The irony is lost on him. I wish they would go away as well to be honest.

Reactions: 5
To Charles? I think she probably was in some ways.

To Charles? I think she probably was in some ways.
It doesn't really make sense as she seemed to have a loving childhood.

I guess not everyone is into motherhood but she was required to do it. Begs the question why have 4, unless she was trying to to get better each time 😄

How is being born to be a spare (in case the other one dies) a privilege? Sounds like something out a horror film. And what choices to the royal children have? Can they grow up to be doctors, lawyers, musicians? Nope.
The further from the throne you are, the easier. Prince William of Gloucester was a working diplomat in the Foreign Office and his younger brother the current Duke of Gloucester a qualified and practising architect. Both the Kent brothers joined the army. Princesses' children have it even easier; the previous Princess Royal's children were musicians.

Reactions: 4
Horror film? Come on 😂😂😂
Yeah all that hardship he must have suffered. All the privileges of being royal and none of the responsibilities of being the heir. He does have choices. He’s made choices yet he’s still bleating on.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
To be fair, most of the upper class particularly in the 1940’s/50’s weren’t exactly hands on parents. Nannies did the vast majority of the heavy lifting.

Diff’rent times and all that. I don’t think it’s a huge secret that Charles and his father had a very strained relationship for years and I’m sure everyone can remember the photos of a 4? year old Prince Charles greeting his mum back from from a long Commonwealth tour with a handshake. Products of different times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Wow.

I mean l guess that is possible but it's so American. I can totally imagine Meghan telling him that.

The irony is lost on him. I wish they would go away as well to be honest.
It does sound a bit American but maybe they are right about expressing how they feel when things like this happen? But I also think maybe it’s difficult to judge parenting because it changes throughout each generation. How the Queen and people like her parented is different to Charles and Diana’s era and Harry and Meghan’s etc.
I also think I’m a bit like ‘wow, you actually said that?’ because the Royals are notorious for not saying anything and here is Harry, trickling like a leak.

I guess not everyone is into motherhood but she was required to do it. Begs the question why have 4, unless she was trying to to get better each time 😄
It was to some degree a typical upper class way of doing things.
Nanny and then boarding school and bother with them when they have got past the messy awkward stage. If they were lucky, a Duke could wrangle it so they only saw the sprogs three times a year.

Last edited:
There's an excruciating photo and video clip of HM greeting Charles after an absence - with a handshake.
Is this the video clip you mean because she doesn’t shake his hand and seems to be acting normal for a mother in her position.

Yes, there was a 8.5 year age gap between Anne and Andrew.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.