The Royal Family #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The gorgeous gene seemed to skip the Windsor. Am I right? Who do we blame for this, the Bowes-Lyons?
I mean Margaret was beautiful when she was younger but the rest...I think there’s strong evidence that Bowes-Lyon is to blame.

Edited: Did some Googling and we can’t blame Bowes-Lyon for the current hair situation all the adult men of the RF are facing. “The truth is that while the dominant hair loss gene is carried in the X chromosome, men with a bald father are more likely to lose their hair than those with fathers who retained their hair. Based on that, the hair loss pattern from Princes William and Harry back through their father and uncles, grandfather Prince Philip and his ancestors makes perfect sense”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Yes Margaret was a beauty and the Queen too in a less traditional sense. My mother thought the queen mum was very pretty when younger but I fail to see it, I do know she was very fashionable in her day though. I feel I'm taking the thread in the direction of Edward and Wallis criticising them for their looks which is tit.

Reactions: 4
There are photos of George V and the Tzar and the family resemblance is strong - even more when you add in Edward VII.
First cousins through their mothers, Princesses Alexandra (Queen Alexandra of the UK) and Dagmar (Tsarina Maria Feodorovna of Russia) of Denmark. Even for first cousins, the resemblance is incredible.

I think the beard style has a lot to do with it but, as I said, the Kents' mother had Russian ancestry on both paternal and maternal side so not surprising that a resemblance crops up with Prince Michael.

Incidentally, when reporting on Prince Philip's death, the Russian media noted that he was a descendant of Tsar Nicholas I. As another aside, it was reported that his death certificate has him down as formerly Philip Mountbatten and formerly Prince Philippos of Greece.

Wasn’t Prince Philip’s DNA the one used to identify the remains of the Romanov’s?
One of them, anyway. His maternal grandmother was a sister of the last Tsarina so his mitochondrial DNA could be used to help identify Alix and her children.

I never knew how closely related the Queen and Prince Philip were before marriage. I find all this interconnectedness fascinating .

Reactions: 3
The Queen and Margaret were beautiful women, and the Queen still looks bloody good for her age. Phillip was a handsome fella and the boy's have all turned out fine, can't see how people say otherwise unless they have extremely high beauty standards LOL

Phillip and other relatives of the Romanov's DNA were used in mitochondrial cross matching used to help make the positive ID on the murdered Russian Royal family.

Reactions: 6
I work with Americans and a lot really believe the queen wears a crown and sits on a throne on a daily basis LOL. Lots of them think Meghan is still a real princess complete with pet unicorns.
Are they really that stupid?

The gorgeous gene seemed to skip the Windsor. Am I right? Who do we blame for this, the Bowes-Lyons?
They seem to have big heavy jaws which William seems to have inherited but not Harry so much. I always thought that inbreeding was the cause of the large jawed Windsor "look". The inbreeding carried on until quite recently e.g the Queen and Prince Philip thank goodness they are bringing new blood into the family.

Last edited:
I never knew how closely related the Queen and Prince Philip were before marriage. I find all this interconnectedness fascinating .
It's great fun to look at Queen Victoria and all her descendants. She basically had children or grandchildren marry into every European royal family. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descendants_of_Queen_Victoria

There are better maps than this but it's a good start

To make it visually simple they've not included the spouses (who were also often related to Victoria & Albert). For example, Princess Alice (granddaughter of Alice, Grand Duchess of Hesse and mother of Prince Phillip) married Prince Andrew of Greece, a younger son of George I of Greece, who was in turn a younger son of King Christian XI of Denmark. Prince Andrew was the brother of Constantine I of Greece, the Father of the Paul of Greece shown here.

But then even going back - Queen Victoria had a cousin-in-law by marriage, Leopold (he was the son of a German Duke and also Victoria's uncle - he was her mother's brother), who was the widower of Princess Charlotte of Wales, Victoria's cousin. Charlotte was the daughter of George IV, and died at 21. Then George IV died with no other children, then his brother William IV died with not children, and so their niece Victoria became Queen. Leopold was invited to become the first King of Belgium (as you do?). So even that Royal family has links to the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas.

Last edited:
And all because the lady loved Sex Albert. Not so keen on the products of conception.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
And all because the lady loved Sex Albert. Not so keen on the products of conception.
ha! She was so mad for Albert. Also obviously excellent at diplomacy and planning. You don't marry your children off that well without effort (even if they are royal prince and princesses).

ha! She was so mad for Albert. Also obviously excellent at diplomacy and planning. You don't marry your children off that well without effort (even if they are royal prince and princesses).
Probably had it worked out when they were still children. The grandmother of Europe. Odd woman, one of her daughters wedding photographs says it all.

Reactions: 2
First cousins through their mothers, Princesses Alexandra (Queen Alexandra of the UK) and Dagmar (Tsarina Maria Feodorovna of Russia) of Denmark. Even for first cousins, the resemblance is incredible.

I think the beard style has a lot to do with it but, as I said, the Kents' mother had Russian ancestry on both paternal and maternal side so not surprising that a resemblance crops up with Prince Michael.

Incidentally, when reporting on Prince Philip's death, the Russian media noted that he was a descendant of Tsar Nicholas I. As another aside, it was reported that his death certificate has him down as formerly Philip Mountbatten and formerly Prince Philippos of Greece.
BIB
That is usual for anyone, even us mere mortals! The registrar asks if the deceased had ever been known by any other names so it is correct that they were recorded on his death certificate.

Reactions: 2
Which photo was that?
Had a look, I think it may have been her son Edward and his bride. She turned her back on the bride and stared at a bust of Albert. She had form for this in lots of pics, always looking melancholy. I get it of course and I enjoy the victorian death culture customs etc but fgs.

Had a look, I think it may have been her son Edward and his bride. She turned her back on the bride and stared at a bust of Albert. She had form for this in lots of pics, always looking melancholy. I get it of course and I enjoy the victorian death culture customs etc but fgs.
She just couldn't move on

Reactions: 1
1620727806531.jpeg

This is it I think, even the groom doesn’t look best pleased

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.