The Puppet Master: The Ultimate Conman - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anybody watched this yet? Couldn’t see a thread but think it was only released today… one small benefit of being ill with covid. I’ve binged watched it this afternoon.

I won’t spoil it (yet anyway) but my mind is blown! It’s from one of the makers behind the documentary: don’t duck with cats.

Would highly recommend watching it!

Reactions: 4
Holy moly that was intense. As a connoisseur of true crime, I’m surprised I’ve not heard this. I think I’m a wonky age for when all of this came out so I’ve just missed it.
Spoilers

how hasn’t he been found? I don’t understand this. Also, is this the first time Netflix has detailed an unsolved recent case? The web sleuths are going to be chomping at the bit with this one - he’ll definitely be found by citizen detectives.

Reactions: 3
Holy moly that was intense. As a connoisseur of true crime, I’m surprised I’ve not heard this. I think I’m a wonky age for when all of this came out so I’ve just missed it.
Spoilers

how hasn’t he been found? I don’t understand this. Also, is this the first time Netflix has detailed an unsolved recent case? The web sleuths are going to be chomping at the bit with this one - he’ll definitely be found by citizen detectives.
Oh my god I know! I was Googling all about it after I finished it. I can’t believe he got off on a technicality. I vaguely remember hearing about a bloke who pretended he was M15 but I must have only been around 14 back in 2005. I have to say I was impressed with Sarah’s dad pulling all that information together! I can’t imagine how her (or any of the other parents) felt knowing their children were under his influence. I have 2 daughters myself so it hit home. Sandras children too, such a sad story. I tried looking on Reddit but I have no idea how to use it, web sleuths hang around on there don’t they?

Reactions: 1
This article picks up where the show leaves off so don’t click until you’ve finished the series or don’t mind knowing. I came across it in the actual newspaper on the weekend but I’m still going to watch the show

This article picks up where the show leaves off so don’t click until you’ve finished the series or don’t mind knowing. I came across it in the actual newspaper on the weekend but I’m still going to watch the show
Wow that’s an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Oh my god I know! I was Googling all about it after I finished it. I can’t believe he got off on a technicality. I vaguely remember hearing about a bloke who pretended he was M15 but I must have only been around 14 back in 2005. I have to say I was impressed with Sarah’s dad pulling all that information together! I can’t imagine how her (or any of the other parents) felt knowing their children were under his influence. I have 2 daughters myself so it hit home. Sandras children too, such a sad story. I tried looking on Reddit but I have no idea how to use it, web sleuths hang around on there don’t they?
Doesn’t look like they’re discussing it yet https://www.websleuths.com/forums/forums/united-kingdom.344/

Last edited:
There’s a film in post production about him starring James Norton

I feel so desperately sad for the Clifton family.
Now that the Kennel Club / Crufts networks will have shunned Robert & Sandra and his name is out there again - what happens next? Will he try moving countries again? Its such a fraught time for the children. Sandra is possibly in more danger right now than ever. So sad to think the grandparents home could be lost too.

Side note: three episodes was perfect for this story. Netflix have spun series out to 8-10 episodes before when it’s so unnecessary. This length was just right, kept the pacing up and made the story super engaging which is helpful to focus wider attention and maybe save Sandra.

Reactions: 5

Now that the Kennel Club / Crufts networks will have shunned Robert & Sandra and his name is out there again - what happens next? Will he try moving countries again? Its such a fraught time for the children. Sandra is possibly in more danger right now than ever. So sad to think the grandparents home could be lost too.

Side note: three episodes was perfect for this story. Netflix have spun series out to 8-10 episodes before when it’s so unnecessary. This length was just right, kept the pacing up and made the story super engaging which is helpful to focus wider attention and maybe save Sandra.
Agree with the length. Cecil hotel was too long at four episodes and included way too much hypothesis.
I didn’t even consider the kennel club shunning them but you’re right- they’ll have to find somewhere else to envelope. To add, the parents in this show were absolute troopers. Sandra’s ex husband is a legitimate good guy who’s trying to find his children’s mum. It’s devastating.

Reactions: 6
More post show chat

To the Kennel Club and Crufts, reputation is everything and they will be fuming that their names has been dragged into such a mess, even to this degree. Members will be revolting. Rob will be persona non grata already and I guarantee anyone associated with pedigree dog breeding in the U.K. will know about him. Those communities are tight and they are big on documentation/tracking by their nature.

Terrifyingly this does mean he could turn to back yard breeding? It makes me feel sick at the thought but is the next most logical step. Such a cruel, exploitative business would suit him down to the ground, minus the prestige he craves.

I really hope all the current scrutiny on him reveals some other crime which cannot be disputed as easily as coercive control can - tax evasion or fraud - where he can be put away even if it’s for a short time but long enough for Sandra to be de-programmed from him.

Reactions: 1

I agree on the length as well and Sandra being in more danger than ever. I didn’t realise her daughter was 28 she looked much younger! I can’t imagine how they feel, I hope they take Sarah’s advice at the end and keep trying to find her. I do wonder if she’ll have watched the series? But I doubt he’d have allowed that. Very scary thought on the dog breeding as well ☹

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I agree on the length as well and Sandra being in more danger than ever. I didn’t realise her daughter was 28 she looked much younger! I can’t imagine how they feel, I hope they take Sarah’s advice at the end and keep trying to find her. I do wonder if she’ll have watched the series? But I doubt he’d have allowed that. Very scary thought on the dog breeding as well ☹
I watched the whole thing last night and have been in a similar situation although not to this extent... The basic thing they do is as explained in the program alienate you from family, then keep you busy so you have no time to literally think, hence the kids and lady being driven around all the time, the other group constantly job, monitor, sleep.... the biggest thing for me is knowing deep down myself there was someone who rooted for me... (Sis) and that is how I got free and some time to think.... I pointed out bits to my better half and the similarities were incredible. I just hope as a mother deep down she knows her kids are there..

• Heart
Just watched the first episode, so I’ve not read other comments. Here just to say, holy moly!!!

Reactions: 2
In all likelihood there are more victims who are thus far unknown to the authorities. These crimes carry a lot of shame.

I hope the show encourages them to come forward. Robert Hendy Freegard belongs behinds bars and Sandra Clifton belongs with her children.

In all likelihood there are more victims who are thus far unknown to the authorities. These crimes carry a lot of shame.

I hope the show encourages them to come forward. Robert Hendy Freegard belongs behinds bars and Sandra Clifton belongs with her children.
I hope they come forward as well.

lf they did and he was put back on trial (for the people coming forward) would coercive control keep him behind bars this time seem as it’s now a crime? As that’s something he appealed last time and won? That they could leave whenever they wanted as he didn’t physically restrain them? I can’t even begin to think about how cocky he was when he won that appeal 😡

Good question @RedRosed. I think it’s still difficult to prove given the nature of the crime but my god, if anyone in the entire universe is guilty of coercive control it’s Robert Hendy Freegard. The man is a case study.

This Times article from December is interesting, goes over a lot of the same ground as the series however what struck me was the rapport between Sarah and Sophie and Jake. I get the impression Sarah may not have agreed to the series were it not to help Sophie and Jake in their desperate search and to help Sophie and Jake understand the complexities of what has happened to their mother’s mind. Sarah is ‘profoundly brave’ as the article says.

It’s shocking that Sarah was not entitled to anything from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority because of the lack of physical scars. I hope that would not be the case now that coercive control is recognised.