The Puppet Master - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bloody hell! Anyone else watched this?

I cannot fathom how charismatic ‘David’ must be to have successfully duped and controlled so many people, so many times, for so long.

I’m dumbfounded 😱

Reactions: 10
All I can say is there must be some incredibly gullible people out there! He is certainly a very manipulative person, no doubt about it. But I just can’t fathom some of it. The woman who spent 10 years living a fake life - mental! Felt sorry for the 2 kids who’ve lost their Mum.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
Just started watching it...(feeling lazy after work!!!) I'm sitting here thinking WTF??😲

Reactions: 1
I need to watch it all again to take in the timeline. I was quite disturbed when they said about finding a suitcase belonging to a woman from Brazil? I bet there's a lot more to uncover 😳

Reactions: 4
I suppose the only way to make sense of the 3 students from 1993 and the woman who went on the run with him for ten years is that, in 1993 it was a very very different world. No one had mobile phones, the Internet wasn't in every home and people in general were more gullible and less clued up, probably led more sheltered lives etc. What I can't get my head round tho is how even tho she was deeply unhappy, hungry, etc, she never tried to run away. I mean you hear of abuse victims who are terrified and kept captive but when the opportunity arises they take the first opportunity to run away.

I also wonder how many people he tried to dupe and they told him to piss off! I mean for every one he successfully manipulated there's gotta be more that laughed him out the room. I guess if they looked like they believed him he knew he was onto a winner.

Reactions: 6
I also wonder how many people he tried to dupe and they told him to piss off! I mean for every one he successfully manipulated there's gotta be more that laughed him out the room. I guess if they looked like they believed him he knew he was onto a winner.
I wondered how many people saw through him too, but what’s even more baffling is that beyond the victims covered in the Netflix doc, there were many others. The Wiki page about him gives details of some of them (I guess they declined to appear in the doc), but there could be loads more who were never linked to him. Who knows how many victims there are in total, or how many suicides/breakdowns he’s caused?

from the Wiki page:

Hendy-Freegard had an on/off affair with a recently married personal assistant, Elisabeth Bartholomew née Richardson. He told her to take up loans, supposedly to settle her debts following her divorce, and then made her sleep on park benches.
In 2000 Hendy-Freegard met a lawyer, Caroline Cowper, a customer in the car dealership in Chiswick, West London. He helped her to change her car, pocketed the difference, asked for more, persuaded her to give more money for a leasing business they would run together and stole £14,000 from her building societyaccount. They became lovers and went on holidays all over the world. They then became engaged but her family intervened. When the leasing car did not materialize, he told her that the Polish Mafia had taken it.

Hendy-Freegard convinced a Sheffield jeweller, Simon Young, to give the mother of his children a room for a time and later tried to recruit him into the "organization". Hendy-Freegard also sent him to perform spurious missions as "training" - like sending him to London with strict instructions of what transportation to use, to buy a can opener in a certain shop and hand it over to a certain man in a certain pub.

Hendy-Freegard convinced a female company director, Renata Kister, that he was watching someone in the Sheffield car dealership where he was working and convinced her to buy a better car. He sold her original car on his own account, kept the money and convinced her to take a £15,000 loan for him. He also again asked for a room for the mother of his children because she was supposedly in a witness protection program and told her that she was Spanish, so that the two women would not speak to each other.

Hendy-Freegard told a woman in Newcastle, Lesley Gardner, that he needed money to buy off IRA killers, who had been released after the Good Friday agreement. She gave him £16,000 over six years. He also sold her car and again kept the money.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I wonder if he killed anyone. Or how many women are living as maids to hide from the IRA.

• Sad
I wonder if he killed anyone. Or how many women are living as maids to hide from the IRA.
I think he's killed. The way he held that woman in the make-shift cell without any comforts gave me the creeps. He was deffo debating if he should just get rid of her 😳

Reactions: 5
I think he's killed. The way he held that woman in the make-shift cell without any comforts gave me the creeps. He was deffo debating if he should just get rid of her 😳
Yeah I guess once the money drys up and he can't make use of them then they're surplus to requirements. Can't remember if it was on the show or I read it but he was violent to his wife beating her and knocking her teeth out! Also there's a couple of his children running round somewhere, wonder what they make of all this. Or do they have any contact with him.

It's obvious he's using her as she's now more credible than him because awareness of who he is and what he's done is at an all time high. Imagine how many people have watched the Netflix show and recognise him. I mean she said she knows who he is and what he's done but what she means is she knows what he's told her! I wonder if they watched the show?

He’s a completely self-interested narcissist, I bet he absolutely has watched it. Whether he allowed Sandra to watch it is another matter.

I don’t understand why she is training dogs when she can’t talk to her own children.
If she had nothing to hide why didn’t she do a real live interview rather than send a fake
(being told what to write) email to the programme ?

And forcing her into a "relationship" with him when she was in that dire condition, effectively raping her :mad:

• Sad
Just finished this. The thing that stayed with me was that there are lawyers and judges out there who have let this man out to control and destroy more people's lives. I know it's their job, but I could not live with myself. The man is clearly a psychopath.

There's another one coming on netflix called the Tinder Swindler
I really hope that one doesn't disappoint - I'm looking forward to it, based on what I've heard about it so far.

- - -

I didn't enjoy The Puppet Master. I stopped watching part-way through episode 3. I'm not a fan of the switching back and forth on the timeline thing that seems to be in favour these days - it becomes very confusing. I also started feeling really unwell when that poor lady was explaining how she was locked away in that awful room.

What a disgusting piece of sh*t that "man" is.

I suppose even now people could fall for someone like that's, lies ... it's not as if spies are Googleable, and he was probably very convincing.

Finished the tinder swindler and Just watching episode 2 if this , and the father of the Sarah girl breaks my heart. Haven't been watching it properly, I'm here on tattle too, but it's just so shocking.