The Moscow/Idaho murders

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Summary:
This is a thread to discuss the murders of Kaylee Gonscalves, Maddie Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin who were killed in their off-campus university home on Nov 13th.

The local coroner later confirmed all four deaths were as a result of stabbing.

The house in which they died had 3 floors, and was built into a hill, having entry points on the bottom floor, and the middle floor, at the back. The two surviving flatmates, who slept through the incident, had rooms on the bottom floor. The victims were sharing two of the other bedrooms. Ethan and Xana, who were in a relationship, in one room on the middle floor, and Maddie and Kaylee were asleep together in Maddie's room on the top floor after a night out.

There is a suggestion that the killer entered by the middle floor and missed the two surviving room mates but we do not know if this was intentional or accidental.

Kaylee had recently moved out of the house and was back visiting for a last weekend before taking up a job, elsewhere. Kaylee had her dog, Murphy, with her. The dog was retrieved unharmed on the evening after the murders, and there is some confusion as to where he was found.

What happened that night:
Kaylee and Maddie had been out clubbing, to The Corner Club bar in the town. They left the bar and visited a food vendor called The Grub truck. An interesting point about The Grub Truck is that it livestreams over Twitch when it is open. Because of this there is a video of Kaylee and Maddie ordering and waiting for food on the night they were killed. A man in a white hoodie is seen tracking them from one side of the vendor to the other, with the girls appearing to be aware of him, but ignoring him. Kaylee stays looking at her phone and appears to take a over the shoulder picture of him. The girls retrieve their food, their lift arrives (confirmed to be a university service/sober ride service) and the man in the white hoodie lifts his arms up in an exasperated way when he sees they have left without him. He then runs off and disappears off camera. There are rumours about his identity online. If true he is a schoolmate of one of the surviving roommates and of Maddies boyfriend.

The girls are confirmed to have got home at 1:56am.

Xana and Ethan's evening timeline is less clear, they attended a party at the Sigma Chi fraternity (of which Ethan is a member) and then arrive home at around1:45am. We do not know what they did between those times.

Kaylee makes a series of unanswered calls to her ex boyfriend shortly after getting home.

They are murdered some time over night

The roommates wake up around 12pm, something happens, they call other people (not police) which results in other people arriving at the house, including Ethan's brother. Someone then makes a call to the police about an 'unconscious person'. No details have been released about that call.

The missing dog is located sometime later that day. It is not known if it was in the house somewhere or wandering outside. It has been returned to Kaylee's ex, who she shared ownership with.

Later:
Forensics closed the house off, and grounds and were searched.
Kaylees family have done many tv interviews, her Dad has said various things such as 'Kaylee was murdered 'more brutally than the others' and 'he didn't need to go up the steps' and 'they (the victims) have different points of damage' 'he came in through the slider' (I gather slider is what people from Idaho call sliding patio doors)
Kaylees sister Alivea said 'they cleared some people too early' indicating some peoples alibis need to be looked at.
Xana's Mum echoed this. Made a slight nudge to the remaining roommates.

Resources:
Brian Entin ( @brianentin on Twitter) who reported on the Gabby Petito case has travelled to Moscow, Idaho to cover the story. He is a good, neutral source of truth (IMO)

Reactions: 31
Thank you for the summary! I don’t understand why the room mates didn’t call 911. It’s all so weird.

Reactions: 15
Thank you that was a good summary. I’ve been struggling to keep up with it all. I saw some tik toks this morning from a woman in America claiming to be a psychic & naming a woman professor & boy (think the one mentioned in the summary) as being responsible & all the comments were going crazy - most calling her out saying why is she spreading false info etc but others agreeing. Was baffling 🤯

Reactions: 8
Thank you for the summary! I don’t understand why the room mates didn’t call 911. It’s all so weird.
Yes I'm struggling with that. I assume they just didnt hear and woke up late the next day. There have been two scenarios touted.

One was posted on a university Facebook page so take with a pinch of salt but basically they said that they woke up, found one of them, panicked and ran outside and one of them fainted with shock. The other roommate called friends over (who live next door) and a passerby called 911 after witnessing the faint. So police were genuinely called for an unconscious person.

The second scenario (I think more likely) is that as reported X and E and M+K's doors were locked by the killer. All had keypad locks so im sure that tells us something. Maybe the surviving roommates could hear an alarm going off (E was meant to be at work) or maybe they had been texting them or knocking on the door and getting no answer, called the police thinking maybe they were unconscious.

Reactions: 9
Thank you so much for creating this thread @Justhereforthedrama and an excellent great summary too.

Now I feel like I can be honest with you all at just how in-depth I’ve been reading about this case for the past three weeks!

Kaylee’s father has said he is concerned that one suspicious character had been ruled out too quickly — seemingly allowing him to flee the country without taking a DNA test.

He doesn’t name him but he is obviously talking about Hoodie Guy - the guy who is in the GrubTruck video with the girls. There’s internet rumours that he is in Africa at the moment but they could be just that, rumours.

I really feel for this family, I am not judging them for speaking out and whether they know more than the internet rumours, I don’t know but it’s very clear that they are at loggerheads with the police department at the moment, feeling frustrated and confused. I just hope that all this talking to the press doesn’t begin to hinder the case negatively.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Wow thanks for the recap. I agree with @Justhereforthedrama 2nd scenario with the 911 call but I don’t quite understand the keypad door locking system. Do you think they just lock behind you and you need a key / pin to enter? Do you think this is an indication they knew their killer?

I haven’t managed to find much about the food truck guy but I thought they must’ve identified him given how many people he interacted with on camera.

It’s a really shocking case and to be honest, this and Delphi, have terrified me as to how killers still seem to be able to “get away” with such horrific attacks even in this era of DNA, CCTV, social media, internet sleuthing and so on.

Reactions: 10
I think a big part of the police’s problem is the university.

The Greek societies are massive in America and they shut their Facebook/twitters down immediately following the aftermath.

They, being privileged young people, will have been told to uninvolve themselves as much as possible.

I think that’s why there are still so many questions about x and e’s timeline. Likely underage drinking was going on and drugs and the frat has clammed up.

Also the university and the student loans company have policies in place that say that if you are caught doing drugs or drinking while underage then you could lose your place or funding.

So in the latest police statement I think you can hear that the police are desperate to chat to the lads at that frat party.

5th dec press release:

• Sad
Thanks for making a thread! I’ve been watching videos on this. Lots of people saying one of the girls had a stalker.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Thanks for the thread. I’ve been loosely following the case.

I heard on YouTube that one of the girls ran out of the house screaming and she fainted, a passerby or neighbour picked up the phone and told the 911 caller that a girl had collapsed.

I also think they said they cleared the truck guy very early into the investigation - during a press conference.

In an interview one of the girls families said that their daughter/sister lived on her phone 24/7 and would always repeatedly call people multiple times until they answered no matter what time it was so I don’t think it was odd she was calling an ex.

I hope nobody jumps on me for this but that father is everywhere taking about this case. Is he just a dad who wants answers or is her overly involving himself? They often say those are the ones to watch out for.

Just something that has crossed my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Summary:
This is a thread to discuss the murders of Kaylee Gonscalves, Maddie Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin who were killed in their off-campus university home on Nov 13th.

The local coroner later confirmed all four deaths were as a result of stabbing.

The house in which they died had 3 floors, and was built into a hill, having entry points on the bottom floor, and the middle floor, at the back. The two surviving flatmates, who slept through the incident, had rooms on the bottom floor. The victims were sharing two of the other bedrooms. Ethan and Xana, who were in a relationship, in one room on the middle floor, and Maddie and Kaylee were asleep together in Maddie's room on the top floor after a night out.

There is a suggestion that the killer entered by the middle floor and missed the two surviving room mates but we do not know if this was intentional or accidental.

Kaylee had recently moved out of the house and was back visiting for a last weekend before taking up a job, elsewhere. Kaylee had her dog, Murphy, with her. The dog was retrieved unharmed on the evening after the murders, and there is some confusion as to where he was found.

What happened that night:
Kaylee and Maddie had been out clubbing, to The Corner Club bar in the town. They left the bar and visited a food vendor called The Grub truck. An interesting point about The Grub Truck is that it livestreams over Twitch when it is open. Because of this there is a video of Kaylee and Maddie ordering and waiting for food on the night they were killed. A man in a white hoodie is seen tracking them from one side of the vendor to the other, with the girls appearing to be aware of him, but ignoring him. Kaylee stays looking at her phone and appears to take a over the shoulder picture of him. The girls retrieve their food, their lift arrives (confirmed to be a university service/sober ride service) and the man in the white hoodie lifts his arms up in an exasperated way when he sees they have left without him. He then runs off and disappears off camera. There are rumours about his identity online. If true he is a schoolmate of one of the surviving roommates and of Maddies boyfriend.

The girls are confirmed to have got home at 1:56am.

Xana and Ethan's evening timeline is less clear, they attended a party at the Sigma Chi fraternity (of which Ethan is a member) and then arrive home at around1:45am. We do not know what they did between those times.

Kaylee makes a series of unanswered calls to her ex boyfriend shortly after getting home.

They are murdered some time over night

The roommates wake up around 12pm, something happens, they call other people (not police) which results in other people arriving at the house, including Ethan's brother. Someone then makes a call to the police about an 'unconscious person'. No details have been released about that call.

The missing dog is located sometime later that day. It is not known if it was in the house somewhere or wandering outside. It has been returned to Kaylee's ex, who she shared ownership with.

Later:
Forensics closed the house off, and grounds and were searched.
Kaylees family have done many tv interviews, her Dad has said various things such as 'Kaylee was murdered 'more brutally than the others' and 'he didn't need to go up the steps' and 'they (the victims) have different points of damage' 'he came in through the slider' (I gather slider is what people from Idaho call sliding patio doors)
Kaylees sister Alivea said 'they cleared some people too early' indicating some peoples alibis need to be looked at.
Xana's Mum echoed this. Made a slight nudge to the remaining roommates.

Resources:
Brian Entin ( @brianentin on Twitter) who reported on the Gabby Petito case has travelled to Moscow, Idaho to cover the story. He is a good, neutral source of truth (IMO)
thank you for the good summary. this case is so confusing and there is so much misinformation going around out there. I hope the this case gets solved soon.

Reactions: 11
thank you for this thread. been trying to keep up on websluths but it moves too fast.

i have a horrible feeling this will go unsolved for a while

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I skim read this in the press initially but read up on it more after the mentions on Tattle - it's really strange and horrible, it does have echoes of the Ted Bundy incident

I’m fascinated by this case and am surprised there seems to be no leads? I wonder how annoyed the investigators are that the dad and sister keeps doing interviews and letting out bits of information.. I get they want justice and answers though! I follow true crime society on insta who are good at reporting this case

defo has Ted Bundy vibes as said above

the Dog Muprhy, was actually found int the house, in one of the spare bedrooms, locked inside.
somethings suss about that.

There was a witness statement online that the police being called for ‘an unconscious person’ was a bystander calling about one of the surviving housemates. Apparently they found Ethan in the doorway and went into such panic and shock one of the girls fainted outside the house. No idea how true but might make sense.

Reactions: 4
Do yous think that the police know more than what it looks like they know and are playing their cards close to their chest or … know very little? It’s sometimes hard to tell with small town police departments.

Reactions: 11
So glad there is a thread for this.

Not seen it mentioned here but it's been stated multiple times elsewhere that not only is the hoodie guy now in Africa, but he also drove 5 hours to his parent's cabin apparently directly after being seen on the Grub Truck live feed. That is suspicious in itself. Who, after a night out, decides to drive for 5 hours at 2am?

I do think he is the most suspicious person mentioned in the case so far. Of course, it could be any randomer really but if we're looking at evidence and facts, this boy is like a flashing red beacon.

Just saw a TikTok from a girl called swaggyslimjim if anyone wants to go watch it about another suspicious individual called Ryan who was in the same frat as Ethan, I think. Also interesting.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.