The inauguration week of the president of the United States 2021

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
January 20th, Joe Biden will officially begin his term as the 46th president of the United States.

This will be a swearing-in ceremony like no other, as the organisers will have to manage a double threat: the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has so far killed more than 300,000 people in the US, and the prospect of Trump supporters attempting to violently disrupt the proceedings. At the time of writing, the outgoing president has still refused to concede that he lost the election and continues to falsely claim the election was “stolen” from him, though he did release a video in which he delivered a half-hearted repudiation of violence. Authorities are keen not to see a repeat of the events of January 6th, when a Maga mob, incited by Trump, stormed the Capitol building, resulting in five deaths, so they’ve beefed up security in the capital for the occasion.

The FBI has warned that Trump supporters are planning armed protests in Washington and in 50 state capitals, so nerves will be on edge – and viewers will be on the edge of their seats – as Biden and vice-president-elect Kamala Harris take to the podium in front of the US Capitol for the swearing-in ceremony. Airbnb is blocking all bookings for the city during inauguration week, and more than 10,000 National Guard troops will be on duty, with 5,000 more on call if needed. Hopefully, they won’t be required. This is one TV event we would be happy to see go off uneventfully.

a place to discuss events of this week as they unfold!

Reactions: 7
Watching with baited breath. I’ll be amazed if it’s drama free and something doesn‘t happen though.

Reactions: 5
Sincerely hope with Secret Service taking the lead on security that we see more effective security than the capitol riots.

Has anyone else felt the world has been a bit more calm since he was booted off Twitter?

Reactions: 7
I am dreading it a bit tbh 😬 especially given how many comments I’ve seen saying it won’t happen etc. Just hope it goes smoothly.

Reactions: 1
I honestly expected something to happen yesterday. The whispers around the 17th were huge but it passed without a hitch...

Hoping the next few days go the same way

Reactions: 3
I am dreading it a bit tbh 😬 especially given how many comments I’ve seen saying it won’t happen etc. Just hope it goes smoothly.
I worry the hand over will really only be the start of a huge amount of unrest.
it all depends on how the impeachment goes as well I assume.

anyone planning to watch it live on Wednesday?

Reactions: 2
Yep I’m going to watch it. I’m really excited about it, which I put down to lockdown and every day being exactly the same as the past thousand. It’s something a bit different! Really hoping it goes peacefully, feel a bit sorry for Biden taking over from Trump!

I doubt anything is going to go down in DC with the astonishing amount of guards they've got there right now and shutting down most things nowhere near the centre. But the rest of the states who knows

Reactions: 5
I doubt anything is going to go down in DC with the astonishing amount of guards they've got there right now and shutting down most things nowhere near the centre. But the rest of the states who knows
According to some though, some lawmakers and Capitol guards were in on the coup attempt on the 6th and they are frantically vetting the 25K national guards right now for fear of another attack from the inside.

They have arrested one (that we know of) who tried to get through with fake documents, a gun and 500 rounds of ammunition, I think I will be surprised if it goes off without a hitch. I should stop reading at reddit, lol.

Reactions: 1
I’m going to watch the live coverage on Wednesday.
I feel for Joe Biden, it’s obviously the crowning glory in his career and essential Trump has f**ked the whole ceremony side of things up for him. I think he’s got a hard job on his hands to try and calm the nation down and bring everyone together again once he is in office.
I don’t think the inauguration ceremony will go without a hitch, Trump has geared his supporters up too much. I hope that if anything does happen that Trump will be held to account for inciting it

Reactions: 4
I don't think Biden will have it easy. He has to deal with Trump's Covid mess and will probably get the blame for it. I am concerned about the inauguration. I saw that they are screening the National Guard. And that Biden has swapped out his secret service to who he used to have under Obama. He doesn't want the secret service that worked for Trump as he is worried they'll be loyal to Trump. Fair enough I think.

I will be amazed if something doesn't happen.
the fear is the worst bit, DC is probably the safest place to be but unrest is breaking out all over and it won’t be limited to just there over the next few months. 😫

Reactions: 2
So who do we think, if anyone, Trump is going to pardon in his last few hours in office? I've heard Julian Assange's name mooted, and someone's told the news that Joe Exotic is so confident his name is on the list that he's ordered a limo to pick him up from prison. (I like Paddy Power's take on this story: https://news.paddypower.com/politic...s-joe-exotic-plans-to-open-big-cat-sanctuary/ )

I love how they've put all the flags out and arranged the 56 pillars of light. I think it's going to be an unforgettable inauguration, I'll definitely be watching.