The Handmaid's Tale

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I managed to get into Hulu using a VPN and paying on Amex. Seems if you try even using UK banks etc sign up, they work it out.
Really enjoying it so far, previous seasons I thought were sometimes a bit slow to get going but right in with the action! End of episode 4 was heartbreaking ☹

Reactions: 2
Hi everyone, I am in love Season 4 so far. I was curious to see everyones opinions. As we all know June has had numerous occasions to escape Gilead but she never did for her daughter. If you was in her position would you of escaped already or stayed? ( I hope my english was good )

Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, I am in love Season 4 so far. I was curious to see everyones opinions. As we all know June has had numerous occasions to escape Gilead but she never did for her daughter. If you was in her position would you of escaped already or stayed? ( I hope my english was good )
I always thought it was understandable she stayed. I’m not a parent at all, but I can’t imagine any mother wanting to abandon their child either. The thing is, I think this season is really testing that now - it had never really occurred to me for example (probably naively) that for those children Gilead is their normal, those people are their parents etc. Hannah was scared of her, she doesn’t know her anymore. So I’m wondering if June could’ve done better activism had she actually left Gilead, but I’m not sure. What do you think?
I was interested to see they seem to be bringing a bit of The Testaments storyline in with regards to Aunt Lydia, won’t spoil it in case anyone hasn’t read but I have to say I’m really hoping they go along the lines of the book with that one

Reactions: 5
I always thought it was understandable she stayed. I’m not a parent at all, but I can’t imagine any mother wanting to abandon their child either. The thing is, I think this season is really testing that now - it had never really occurred to me for example (probably naively) that for those children Gilead is their normal, those people are their parents etc. Hannah was scared of her, she doesn’t know her anymore. So I’m wondering if June could’ve done better activism had she actually left Gilead, but I’m not sure. What do you think?
I was interested to see they seem to be bringing a bit of The Testaments storyline in with regards to Aunt Lydia, won’t spoil it in case anyone hasn’t read but I have to say I’m really hoping they go along the lines of the book with that one

I sometimes think she could of done better activism if she left but many have escaped from Gilead and the people can't do anything to help those still in Gilead. Moira and Emily escaped and they have had no significant impact however I can imagine June to be more vocal and a better activist, after-all she has so much inside knowledge.

I don't think any mother would want to leave there child in a place like Gilead but this season has really made me realise how normal this world is for the children. Now Hannah is scared of June the question is will she now leave Gilead and leave Hannah? She has tried time and time again for Hannah and has had no success and she can only save herself now.. but she will never truly be 'free' knowing she left Hannah there.

I personally have not read the books yet but I will be.

• Heart
Ah shouldn't have read here 😆 I thought I was up to date after seeing s04e03. So something heartbreaking is coming up... The train thing I didn't find that emotional. So silly that they ran away from the van and didn't quiety kill aunt Lydia and then wait for the driver to come back and do him!

Getty very cheesy with nick keeping popping up

Edit, episode 5 is out now too.

Reactions: 5
Ah shouldn't have read here 😆 I thought I was up to date after seeing s04e03. So something heartbreaking is coming up... The train thing I didn't find that emotional. So silly that they ran away from the van and didn't quiety kill aunt Lydia and then wait for the driver to come back and do him!

Getty very cheesy with nick keeping popping up

Edit, episode 5 is out now too.
It might not be that heartbreaking, I could just be too soft!
I just found the way Janine was so desensitised to performing a sex act in exchange for services really moving and sad. The way she just brushed it off completely when June couldn’t bring herself to do it.
/

Reactions: 4
The pacing does seem a bit off this season, im a bit confused how S3 ended and they got to the safe house.

I knew they wouldn't torture her too much as would have created loads of continuity issues.

I did like that she started singing "heaven is a place on earth" again, the episode where she was going loopy (is that too un-pc to say these days?😐) in the hospital was a great opener.

The pacing does seem a bit off this season, im a bit confused how S3 ended and they got to the safe house.

I knew they wouldn't torture her too much as would have created loads of continuity issues.

I did like that she started singing "heaven is a place on earth" again, the episode where she was going loopy (is that too un-pc to say these days?😐) in the hospital was a great opener.
yeah i was confused too, I thought I had missed something from the end of S3

yeah I know what you mean, it's been a long time since June was forced into any of that and she can't do it anymore even if it does make life a lot more difficult. Janine never really had a break and it seemed like the logical choice

That train tank seemed more terrifying as waterboarding

I knew when Janine came back that would probably be very short lived.

I did think for a while that Lydia might be switching sides, clearly not!

Is that June going to Canada? Because if it's that easy to get back into the disputed territorys she can leave. Maybe go face to face with Serena and make sure she doesn't get out

It might not be that heartbreaking, I could just be too soft!
I just found the way Janine was so desensitised to performing a sex act in exchange for services really moving and sad. The way she just brushed it off completely when June couldn’t bring herself to do it.
/
Just going to watch s3e11 again - when June kills a commander because that sequence with the Kate Bush clean up is epic!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I've not watched the show but I'm currently struggling through the book. The concept is so interesting but its all so bloody depressing!

Watched it last night. No idea what's going on with Nick and Commander Lawrence, I hope they both stay on the good side, but I think one of them has turned. I don't think Janine is dead, I would be surprised if they bumped off a main character so soon after killing off Alma and they others.

It's going to feel a bit tedious if June doesn't go back with Moira, or maybe Moira will stay?

I don't think Janine is dead. I think she is injured and will be captured and sent back to Gilead. I'm hoping Janine will face a bit more leniency if she goes back to Gilead because off her mental state, a possible pregnancy and Lydia's soft spot for her. If she's smart enough, she could even say June forcibly took her but I'm not sure she will. However, I am still terrified for her. Another pregnancy in Gilead will destroy her completely.

I think Janine will be sent to the new breeding colonies and her old commander (Warren) will become her commander again because no one wants a reckless handmaid associated with June or she will be given to Commander Calhoun, the one Lawrence blackmailed after getting information from Aunt Lydia. There's something really fishy about him and that information but be real bad for him to give Lawrence back his seat so quickly. He was also Natalie's commander and she was clearly batshit insanse way before June taunted her.

June definitely goes to Canada. In the recent trailer for the next episode, Moira says something about the rules and getting June out. I think the aids can only help the resistance but can't actually remove them from the U.S to Canada so Moira smuggles a very reluctant June out. I think next episode will be June finally understanding that she can't help Hannah from within Gilead anymore so she goes to Canada to take them down instead. The promo trailer for the entire season has some major spoilers aswell.

I think the season will really pick up with June in Canada especially with the Waterfords trial. She can do so much damage with what she knows. I know Canada already know about the rapes (ceremonies) but they don't know about the final ceremony aka the horrific rape Serena orchestrated and convinced Fred to do to bring on labour. All June has to do is mention that in the trial and Serena's pathetic victim act will crumble and the Waterfords will 100% be found guilty and sentenced to prison. There's no way Serena and Fred could lie about that. They will both buckle under the pressure the moment it's mentioned.

Watched it last night. No idea what's going on with Nick and Commander Lawrence, I hope they both stay on the good side, but I think one of them has turned. I don't think Janine is dead, I would be surprised if they bumped off a main character so soon after killing off Alma and they others.

It's going to feel a bit tedious if June doesn't go back with Moira, or maybe Moira will stay?
It's going to be ridiculous if June doesn't leave and they find a convoluted reason for her to stay. She needs a bit of R&R out of Gilead to fight them.

Commander Laurence was always quite iffy and never quite all on June's side so wouldn't be surprised if he turned against. June letting his wife die was quite a turning point - a bit like Walter letting Jessie's gf die in breaking bad.

Yeah probably Janine isn't dead, the other handmaid's stories seemed to stop in the last few episodes apart from hers so wasn't a suprise they were binned off. But the pacing is all off this season so at the same time wouldn't be surprised if she was reunited just for a few minutes before being killed off to duck with the viewers

Reactions: 3
I can't see how they can continue to play the story of not leaving without Hannah. She just got 80 odd kids to Canada, she's the most hunted person in Gilead, which means that Hannah must be the most protected child in Gilead. I have a feeling that Moira will stay, and Nick will turn up for a bit of jiggy with June. That will be the reason they use for her staying.

Reactions: 2
Oh crap, I didn't spoiler the post yesterday. Sorry :(

Was really excited about watching ep 6 after work, but husband has gone and booked us into the pub. It's an early booking and he's been told that I'm not staying for more than two. FFS, this is way more important.

I NEED TO KNOW IF JANINE IS ALIVE!!!!

Episode 6 - going in!

Wow, rollercoaster episode. No idea about Janine. She FINALLY gets out but will obvs go back. My heart was in my mouth when the Gilead crew were on the boat. And cried my eyes out when she apologies to Luke saying it was just her, she couldn’t save Hannah.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Episode 6

Is it just me that hates flashback heavy episodes? We're too far in for this! All felt like a very contrived way to push the sudden new story that luke left his last wife because she couldn't give/lost him children. It was all for the predictable payoff of her saying sorry for not brining back Hannah that he just as predictably was happy to see her.

The whole boat, wire fence port and NGO mission has so many plot holes. It was that easy to smuggle her on? What about all the other people at the medical tent there? Moira's gf expected her to just say hey but bye to her best friend? I'm starting to get bad vibes about the show.

Still I hope she testifies against Serena, that could be some good scenes.

• Heart