The frugality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t believe one of her money saving goals for the year is to switch home insurance - well yes duh! Most people know you have to do a comparison every year and negotiate don’t they?! Or get cashback with a new provider? Yes she is apparently expert enough to write a book!

All of this stuff has been free advice on moneysavingexpert.com for YEARS.

Also it riles me she uses real Farrow and ball when the colour matching from some places is so exact. Farrow and Ball is not frugal.
My home insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month. I managed to get the renewal quote lowered by a massive amount with the current insurer even though I had a claim last year.

Reactions: 1
I also noted that she said she took January off last year. The whole month of January. Most people can’t afford to do that no matter how frugal they live...
Marketing spend is usually low in January, she probably knew there wouldn’t be much money to be made.

She does post a lot of boring Peggy content nowadays, doesn’t she? Does she want to get into instamum territory? I can’t see her fashion followers being that interested in her sprog... I have kids myself but I follow her for house and fashion stuff mainly. Hovering over the unfollow!

Reactions: 4
Marketing spend is usually low in January, she probably knew there wouldn’t be much money to be made.

She does post a lot of boring Peggy content nowadays, doesn’t she? Does she want to get into instamum territory? I can’t see her fashion followers being that interested in her sprog... I have kids myself but I follow her for house and fashion stuff mainly. Hovering over the unfollow!
Her content became so random. I have friends who still follow her and comment on how she claims to be frugal when she buys such high end stuff that most can’t afford.

I didn’t enjoy the child content either. I’m a mum but love to dress my kids in nice gender specific items so the stuff she tags the kiddie wearing isn’t my cup of tea.

She’s too “recycling ”for my liking with kids clothes and her own wardrobe.

Reactions: 2
Her content became so random. I have friends who still follow her and comment on how she claims to be frugal when she buys such high end stuff that most can’t afford.

I didn’t enjoy the child content either. I’m a mum but love to dress my kids in nice gender specific items so the stuff she tags the kiddie wearing isn’t my cup of tea.

She’s too “recycling ”for my liking with kids clothes and her own wardrobe.
Today she has lots of stories of Peggy playing. Also a story about recycling old (expensive of course!!) jars to hold sugar in her office. I dunno. It’s all just a bit random, like you say.

Reactions: 3
It’s all very dreary. I used to be a big fan but she’s got very self righteous with her tags. Her outfits - all old - she’s really lost her spark for dressing, Peggy’s clothed - handmedowns, Lunches - made from leftovers, office chair - secondhand. It all seems like she’s bored with Instagram but has to keep at it because her business depends on it. She doesn’t seem to get any enjoyment any more from fashion, her frugal approach is a sham because she Is gifted quite a lot. Her interiors is same old same old,

Not buying Peggy Christmas gifts -well someone sure is because she seems to have quite a lot of toys.

I hope for her sake it’s just a case of a quiet January and doesn’t follow on to a quiet spring. I have a feeling that a lot of these influencers are going to find things a lot slower because marketing agencies/brands are beginning to realise that their consumers are getting bored with these type of influencers and are not being influenced as much as before.

I used to love Alex, she was one of my favourites back in the day when she was styling. Always looked great with genuinely aspirational stuff in her content. She has absolutely lost her way - is she interiors? Parenting? Fashion? Feminism? Money saving? She's attempting to do them all, poorly. She's lost any sort of niche she had and has become really dull, preachy and slightly irritating. She seems to have lost her way with dressing herself too, so much slouchy lounge wear. She had an awful time last year with her miscarriage and she does seem like a lovely person so I hope she finds her spark again.

It is all very dull these days and as someone else said I do hope she finds her spark again. For someone in fashion and styling I think she looks an absolute state most of the time. It is possible to wear old stuff and still look good.

You wouldn’t look at her account and be desperate to work with her.
Yes, I get she’s had a bad year emotionally but she doesn’t look groomed at all these days.
Even the house Reno isn’t particularly interesting, if the house was on Rightmove I’d think it needed a Reno as an old couple lived there. It doesn’t scream young family.

I think there’s a bit of a ‘master of none’ type situation going on, but I like her and hope she either jacks it in or overhauls it. Anything’s better than limping along aimlessly. If she was a friend of mine I would be having an honest chat and trying to help her, I think the emotional stuff is having a huge effect on her work, which of course it would.

I find the name of her account confusing. What is or was the frugal part?

Reactions: 2
How many times does she need to tell us that she clears wax out of used candle jars and repurposes them ?

How many times does she need to tell us that she clears wax out of used candle jars and repurposes them ?
This is because it appears to be the only slightly ‘frugal’ things she does. We’ll overlook the extortionate price of the candle to begin with. 🙄

This is because it appears to be the only slightly ‘frugal’ things she does. We’ll overlook the extortionate price of the candle to begin with. 🙄
She’s disillusioned. Not relatable at all.
I’m surprised she wants a family, with all her recycling and carbon footprint worry, maybe she should just stick with one child and not over populate?!
She’s fine recycling clothes for a baby/toddler...not as easy when they are school, have friends, and are influenced by friends and social media. My kids cost me a fortune. After school clubs, clothes, school related costs. If she struggles with life now, heaven help her when Peggy goes to school or wants to do dance, ballet, gymnastics, netball.....all costs. She’s a typical first time mum, oblivious to the real world of being a mum!

Reactions: 4
There is an issue with referring to fashion purchases as an “investment”. It’s a euphemism adopted by the industry for women to justify spending money, end of.

(If you are talking about buying a Rolex, Chanel or similar then ok maybe - but let’s be honest, you’re buying it because you want it, the fact it will hold it go up in value is a nice bonus).

That a purchase has been carefully considered does not make it an investment. Knowing you will get a lot of use/wear out of something does not make it an investment. Wanting a luxury item but choosing the high street version does not make it an investment. It’s just another example of how consumerism has been co-opted by the language of empowering women in a completely bullshit way.

That this “investment” euphemism is coming from an influencer who writes money guides and claims to be strapped for cash is just irresponsible.

Then even more appalling is that she is talking about something she herself was #gifted. What a joke.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've mentioned her on here before but En Brogue is doing the frugal and environmental thing much better and in a more focused way

Whilst I agree with everything you’ve said, playing devils advocate, the definition of investment is the action or process of investing money for profit. The ‘profit’ in the case of expensive clothes, shoes, bags etc could be argued as being the enjoyment one gets from wearing them as well as the longevity gotten from more expensive and therefore better quality pieces (sorry to use such a wanky term!) As an ‘investment purchaser’ these are the reasons I buy more expensive items.

The fact that practically everything she’s wearing is gifted is a bleeping joke though.

Whilst I agree with everything you’ve said, playing devils advocate, the definition of investment is the action or process of investing money for profit. The ‘profit’ in the case of expensive clothes, shoes, bags etc could be argued as being the enjoyment one gets from wearing them as well as the longevity gotten from more expensive and therefore better quality pieces (sorry to use such a wanky term!) As an ‘investment purchaser’ these are the reasons I buy more expensive items.

The fact that practically everything she’s wearing is gifted is a bleeping joke though.
I can see the argument of enjoyment as investment... I think that’s what’s been co-opted by consumerism to the point of parody. For example the L’Oreal strapline “because you’re worth it”.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.