The frugality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They come across as so grubby these days - do we really need to see and hear about Alex’s wart cream?! 🤮

• Sick
Reactions: 4
She’s linked her family shop....those knobs she chose for her kitchen are £17 each....not a very frugal kitchen if she’d had to actually pay for those....

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I find all the references to ‘pay-day’ and ‘saving up’ so insincere. They run a limited company, that’s really not how things work. I doubt she’s even taking earnings as a salary.

And ‘designing’ that wardrobe over a Zoom call?! It takes about 8 minutes to choose an Ikea wardrobe, you certainly don’t need design advice! Such an elevation of the mundane, which I suppose is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Interesting she’s now saying their food shop is £40-50 rather than the £25 she claiming when she was trying to make content....

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Interesting she’s now saying their food shop is £40-50 rather than the £25 she claiming when she was trying to make content....
I am still unsure how they can spend that with London prices...or maybe they can but all they do is eating shitload of pasta and average sauce and bread and cheddar.
No protein/fish imho

Reactions: 5
I am still unsure how they can spend that with London prices...or maybe they can but all they do is eating shitload of pasta and average sauce and bread and cheddar.
No protein/fish imho
Don‘t forget the veg box she gets as part of her work with the veg company. So her weekly shop doesn’t cover fruit or veg. I wouldn’t be admiring her for how little she spends on food - their diet and the food they appear to doesn’t seem to be balanced or particularly healthy.

Reactions: 7
Why is she always so eager to share that they ‘use food up’ as if she’s cracked some secret and the rest of us are throwing food away all day?! THAT IS NOT ADVICE! The reason you spend so little on food is because you buy cheap, unvaried food!

Reactions: 10
I don't know about anyone else, but I've talked to so many people who've agreed that in lockdown, nice food is the only thing available to a) spend money on (as we can't go on holiday, go out etc) and b) make ourselves feel good, as it's something to enjoy. Their lives must be quite miserable if they're stuck inside and they don't even buy some nice bits from the supermarket as a treat. I can't get my head around the mindset - I love food!

I don't know about anyone else, but I've talked to so many people who've agreed that in lockdown, nice food is the only thing available to a) spend money on (as we can't go on holiday, go out etc) and b) make ourselves feel good, as it's something to enjoy. Their lives must be quite miserable if they're stuck inside and they don't even buy some nice bits from the supermarket as a treat. I can't get my head around the mindset - I love food!
Oh absolutely! I get so much more pleasure out of a lovely meal than owning so many clothes like Alex that I need to commandeer a whole room of the house to store them!

We were just talking about this in the living thrifty thread. She's another one who lives of Super Noodles and loaves of white bread so that she can splash the cash on her Vivienne Westwood obsession. Unlike Alex who is skinny as a rake though, living thrifty looks so bloated and pale and unhealthy.

I just can't get my head around putting so much cheap processed food into your body so that you can dress your body in designer gear.

Reactions: 5
Totally agree. I actually feel embarrassed if we have a run of too many takeaways (or if we were eating pasta bake every week!). I’d certainly not be broadcasting my Domino’s addiction to the world. I know that sounds terribly snobbish. In different times we’ve lived on a much smaller income and our food bill reflected that of course. But we always prioritised good food above most else. In lockdown we’ve been kept sane experimenting with new recipes, and buying interesting cheese, or local brewed bear or micro-bakery goodies to support local businesses (and turn the food shop into a bit of an activity). I just can’t get my head round the pride and the smugness about the Lidl shop.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Totally agree. I actually feel embarrassed if we have a run of too many takeaways (or if we were eating pasta bake every week!). I’d certainly not be broadcasting my Domino’s addiction to the world. I know that sounds terribly snobbish. In different times we’ve lived on a much smaller income and our food bill reflected that of course. But we always prioritised good food above most else. In lockdown we’ve been kept sane experimenting with new recipes, and buying interesting cheese, or local brewed bear or micro-bakery goodies to support local businesses (and turn the food shop into a bit of an activity). I just can’t get my head round the pride and the smugness about the Lidl shop.
I don’t even think it’s about the Lidle shop, the probelm is what she chooses to buy there. I wonder if they would buy more veggies or fruit on their own if they didn’t have that Oddbox sponsorship. I highly doubt.

Reactions: 1
I think I've mentioned this before she has a medium Oddbox same as me. I'm vegetarian and have loads of cook books some weeks I'd say 60% of my food is made from that box and sometimes it's tricky as you get a bit random stuff so you have to look for ways to use the veg. Based on what we see I really don't believe she uses that box at all. Cook us some Oddbox meals with all the recent aubergines, celeriac, parsnips, sprouts and cabbages!

I find all the references to ‘pay-day’ and ‘saving up’ so insincere. They run a limited company, that’s really not how things work. I doubt she’s even taking earnings as a salary.

And ‘designing’ that wardrobe over a Zoom call?! It takes about 8 minutes to choose an Ikea wardrobe, you certainly don’t need design advice! Such an elevation of the mundane, which I suppose is the name of the game.
Such a big song and dance about ‘designing the wardrobes’ yet complained / unsure about the felt where the shoes are, and the jewellery insert section.
It really didn’t look like it held many clothes at all; just super bulky coats

I have one of those jewellery drawers in mine, they’re handy and filled in a wasted space...it’s IKEA, not sure quite what she was expecting?!

Damnit- I’m now getting Instagram ads from IKEA about planning my bedroom with IKEA wardrobes! I didn’t ‘like’ her post so can only assume it’s because it was on my feed/in my stories...

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I can’t work out if she actually thinks it’s interesting (e.g. we made extra food so there’s leftovers). Or is she stuck in a content churn loop? I suppose if 250,000 people are following the churn you just start to believe there’s something exceptional about you and your life choices.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.