The Duggar Family #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interview with ABC:

---

I think it is more religion based, but I always wait until I can get books at the library.

Amazon product

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I’m reading the book, jinger has shared her diary was stolen and put up for auction but there was nothing juicy in it so they gave it back, she had written things she had accomplished so she seemed good. She had an eating disorder her mum helped her overcome. She cried to her mum one day because she thought she didn’t love god enough. Bill gothard created rules for being a good Christian that gave people practical steps to follow to be godly e.g the skirts, she is working on deciding what was said by god and what was written by a man (bill gothard)
---

I’m reading the book, jinger has shared her diary was stolen and put up for auction but there was nothing juicy in it so they gave it back, she had written things she had accomplished so she seemed good. She had an eating disorder her mum helped her overcome. She cried to her mum one day because she thought she didn’t love god enough. Bill gothard created rules for being a good Christian that gave people practical steps to follow to be godly e.g the skirts, she is working on deciding what was said by god and what was written by a man (bill gothard)
She also attempted to fast to prove she was good to god but her parents wouldn’t let her due to the eating disorder, also she said the eating disorder was caused by body image issues from being in the spotlight. The potential fasting was to please god, not viewers and wasn’t about body image

• Wow
Reactions: 7
---

She also attempted to fast to prove she was good to god but her parents wouldn’t let her due to the eating disorder, also she said the eating disorder was caused by body image issues from being in the spotlight. The potential fasting was to please god, not viewers and wasn’t about body image
They're all religious nutcases. Calvinism is different from IBLP doctrine but just as batshit mental. For instance Jeremy preaches that everyone who's going to heaven has already been selected. Plot Spoiler: they're all Calvinists. So Jinger can wear pants coz she's on the guest list.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
More from the book: she thought that following the principles meant life was destined on a certain path with only little surprises. She prayed for her friend once when she was wearing trousers as she thought she had moved away from god. Trigger warning mention of SA Anyone not dressing modestly could be blamed for SA, SA is allowed by god if victims are “out from protection of our parents” or dressed immodestly or hanging out with evil friends - gothard teaching not jingers personal opinion.
---

She was so scared of sinning she would try and make sure everyone had forgiven her before she took communion in case she died as a result of taking it with unresolved sin. Sometimes she wouldn’t take it in case she had forgotten something

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Less than halfway through the book, updates to keep coming or stop clogging the thread?

Reactions: 9
Ok, next chapter: authority, she believed her dad was the greatest authority, anything he said goes, once she gets married it’s her husbands parents (hence jimbob was unsure about her marrying Jeremy as Jeremy’s mum wasn’t born catholic but they did raise him and his siblings as catholics). If she was unsure between playing sport or reading the bible rather than following gods example she wasn’t sinning if her dad said it was ok, she could then choose sport over bible. Same reason she got over her ED as her parents told her to (that simple ey😂). She has now sought gods example rather than parents authority as the bible doesn’t mention any authority only Jesus as example
---

Forgot to mention in the last chapter she said 4 generations of kids were repaying for the sins of their parents, she would avoid places with alcohol in case she was spending too much time with sinners. You had to follow stricter rules if your ancestors were sinners to undo their sin. Interesting knowing about Josh, wonder if his kids live a harsher rule due to their dads sins (if jimbob believes that he is a sinner of course)
---

Jinger chaperoned Jessa and Ben, Ben would quote whole chapters instead of just sentences to form his argument (comparison to bill gothard). Bens family didn’t dress the way BG said to and listened to other music, and seemed to know more about the bible than the duggars - the start of her journey change.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Not much in the next chapter: jinger only didn’t shun Jeremy and his beliefs due to the fact she had started to open her mind up from what Ben said. They unpicked gothard teaching together- gothard had made her think only he knew the secret hidden meanings of the bible that made her anxious and Jeremy helped her see these weren’t from the bible.
Getting repetitive already and I’m only halfway
---

BG puts a lot of emphasis on women being good wives which means not working, spending a lot of time at home, being readily available and having as many children as possible , jinger discusses how this can leave women having more children they can afford, mentally struggling with being at home or even worse not being married, physical need to clean the house and homeschool the children and then be ready to have sex and potentially more children every day when their husband gets home. Jinger hadn’t ever thought about how many children she wanted as she always thought she would have to have as many as god “planned” for her
---

BG puts a lot of emphasis on women being good wives which means not working, spending a lot of time at home, being readily available and having as many children as possible , jinger discusses how this can leave women having more children they can afford, mentally struggling with being at home or even worse not being married, physical need to clean the house and homeschool the children and then be ready to have sex and potentially more children every day when their husband gets home. Jinger hadn’t ever thought about how many children she wanted as she always thought she would have to have as many as god “planned” for her
---

BG says women must always be agreeable and encourage men, if not they would find another woman who did. Jeremy taught jinger to have an opinion of her own and encouraged her to share it. Jinger had a lot of social anxiety when she moved away as she didn’t know how to think for herself and cried when meeting 1 on 1 with a member of the church as she was overwhelmed with the situ
---

Jingers new church showed her Christians dont all need to look the same and say the same things. BG was a dangerous teacher

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
On BG he liked certain girls skinny young blondes, preferably those from single parent homes without a father/grandfather and who needed a father figure: by the way he is ironically unmarried and childless. direct quote: “it’s disturbing that an older man insisted on surrounding himself with young girls, some of whom were still minors. And he did so in the name of service to god”
---

BG would take a liking to certain girls and invite them to come and visit him at ibpl hq and take them on trips, which was the kind of work away from home that was forbidden for girls under his rules
---

All these girls were unpaid volunteers who would stay in converted office dorms
---

Omg! BG wouldn’t let these girls interact with eachother, all interactions between members were heavily regulated, however since BG was unmarried and without family he would work late and invite the young girls to come and see him, he would rub their feet and hold their hands - things prohibited between unmarried men and women. A lot of the girls would claim he would touch them inappropriately and engage in explicit sexual activity. 10 of these girls filed a lawsuit against BG in 2016, more can be read in the Washington post.
The above is all accusations from Jingers book, I haven’t read up on it or added to the above with personal opinion/research.
---

More allegations about BG surfaced in 2012 on a website called recovering grace, tan by former ibpl members who had had negative experiences with him. Jinger heard about this while still in the family following BG and thought the web runners were agents of satan.
BG resigned and the ibpl board accepted this, claimed he was inappropriate but no criminal activity had been discovered; the board didn’t speak to any of the accusers.
---

BG admitted he did sin and was wrong to hold hands, give hugs, and touch the girls hair and feet. He was not convicted and the lawsuit in 2018 was dropped. This was in the middle of jingers convos with Ben jessa and Jeremy
---

Outside of court BG said these girls wrote him adoring letters so he couldn’t have done the things he was accused of, he still insists he should be the leader of the ibpl. He is allowed to still write on his website as he is still considered by the ibpl to be a valuable bible teacher
---

BG made sex embarrassing and taboo unlike what the bible says. Jinger notes how BG teaching that the relationship relies on the woman letting the man be free means men aren’t held responsible for their actions. Jeremy models Christian like love in their marriage
---

She is talking about Josh: a hard reality that he shows some similar hypocrisy to B, he was living a lie as he wasn’t following Jesus. Jinger hasn’t seen or spoken to Josh in nearly two years but she still prays for him. Only Jesus can say him not false religion and man made rules (ref to bg). BG couldn’t transform Josh only Jesus can.
---

That should say only Jesus can save him, about Josh. She says him and BG need a new heart.
---

The show ending Jinger cried, she is relived to no longer have to film and she didn’t want her two daughters on there anywah but she will miss the crew. Josh’s fall has been more devastating because of the show as people who dislike Christianity can use him as evidence, he gives Christ a bad name.
---

Jinger now spends her days with musicians and people she would have never imagined, spends time with her daughters and preaches to people in the church and discusses sin something she was afraid of before. This was helpful when she thought she was suffering from postpartum depression as she felt able to open up. She is now no longer stricter than Jesus and doesn’t beat herself up if she doesn’t read the bible one day or misses church as there are demands from her daughters.
---

Jinger believes in Christ more than ever now and can’t wait to help her daughters do the same. She doesn’t think she will lose relationships with family and hopes they will get closer in the coming years. She knows she will lose influence from rejecting teachings and speaking out. She knows some will say Jeremy is to blame and she shouldn’t have married an outsider but all he did was point her to scripture and encourage her to think for herself.
---

The end! A lot of anxiety caused by BG and his cult. I wonder if jimbob will be more strict with the younger girls partners needing to be ibpl followers or whether they will listen to anything jinger
---

Jinger and jessa say. Overall not very well written and a but repetitive but she still covered all points necessary to make her point.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
So what does everyone else think about the book? I really want to know what the younger ones (eg Jed who’s girlfriend had a baby 9 months after marriage) think about the way they treat their wives as instructed by gothard and whether they think it’s problematic or would rather live like that, also interested if there’s a like to jessa being single as if she was a BG follower she would feel unfulfilled so can’t be

Reactions: 6
Just watched it. I hope he is made an example of. How bloody stupid can one person be? 🙄

Reactions: 5
Interview with ABC:

---

I think it is more religion based, but I always wait until I can get books at the library.

Amazon product
She seems very naive in that interview. I appreciate her coming forward to speak out against some of the legalisms she was raised with but I also feel that she is unwittingly being used to promote her husband's career and grow his congregation/career.

In other words, she is still under a male authority in her life choices.

She does get super extra points, though, for speaking out for the victims of her brother's crimes instead of the "We love and pray for Josh" spouted by some of her other family members. 🤮

ETA: Didn't read your post @HeyFrey about what she says about Josh in her book. She came across differently in the interview.

Reactions: 7
She seems very naive in that interview. I appreciate her coming forward to speak out against some of the legalisms she was raised with but I also feel that she is unwittingly being used to promote her husband's career and grow his congregation/career.

In other words, she is still under a male authority in her life choices.

She does get super extra points, though, for speaking out for the victims of her brother's crimes instead of the "We love and pray for Josh" spouted by some of her other family members. 🤮

ETA: Didn't read your post @HeyFrey about what she says about Josh in her book. She came across differently in the interview.
I think Jinger went from one controlling, narc headship to another. Jeremy knew exactly what he was doing and knew that marrying a Duggar girl was a great way to put him in the limelight. I very much think she's being used as a pawn to 'minister' (and bring in the dollars) for Jeremy's Church. Even her physical appearance/style changed a lot post marriage and she looked very uncomfortable in the initial photos. I think he wanted her to be a trophy wife, he would eat himself if he could.

Reactions: 13