The DisUnplugged #3 Cruising on Fumes by nightmaresunlimitedtravel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well said, for me this week exemplifies the problem with the show.

I really could care less if the hosts are for or against the Splash Mountain re-theme or any of the less controversial ones. What I do expect on a professional show meant to discuss the Disneyana in a somewhat neutral/empathetic (you can be for a change while understanding why some people are upset about it) discussion of it. Between Kevin's Marie Antoinette attitude, Julie's luddite opinions ("I don't care about Tron", "You don't need to know specifics"), and Ryno, Julie, and Erica's (noticed Craig tried to stay out of it) clear dunking on people they disagree with it's becoming very toxic. It's fine to have opinions but for the shows, keep them as neutral as possible. I've seen the Facebook comments, I understand it's annoying to see the comments there and in YT chat but you have to take the high road. I can also tell some of it is blowing off steam but that isn't the place. Everything should be expressed in a constructive way. It's fine to sell ABD and cruises on the show but realize that's not what the majority of people are watching for so balance it, don't comment on the criticisms and move on.

Pete's pretty good at this. He knows how to state his opinion (on the show, fully acknowledging the problems behind the scenes) without bashing those he disagrees with outright. Kevin was also right about the overly bashing Disney. It still needs to be done but more selective in the purposes of the rants.

The channel needs to re-balance itself. Most of this would be fine on a personal vlog but the channel is a loss leader trying to sell trips to a broad audience. As said before, I have no problem with anybody on the show, I wish them all the best but I think I'm done with Dreams Unlimited and The Dis for a while.
I agree with this for sure. I feel Disney and most of the Disney channels are going about this whole thing in a weirdly political way when they just don’t have to at all. It isn’t unusual or unreasonable for a ride to get a new overlay, especially when the subject matter is outdated or the ride is not working functionally. Splash Mountain suffers in both of these areas.

We had a copy of the VHS of Song of The South and I saw it many times as a kid. I do not remember anything about it because it just was not good enough to remember even what the plot was about and I feel most people would say the same thing, so the subject matter is definitely dated. I cross trained at Splash Mountain and the ride itself has a LOT of problems. It broke down constantly, there were water leaks constantly, there were issues with guests taking inappropriate photos on the drop etc. Also, when you do the big drop and go around the corner there’s one more small drop because Disney used 2 different contractors at the same time to get the ride built faster - that spot is where the 2 sides met up….and they didn’t match. So they had to put in the worlds smallest drop. This is a good chance to correct a lot of the issues that this ride had. While I don’t think Princess and the Frog is the best IP Disney has, I think it’s a lot more popular than Song of the South and fits the theme of ‘frontier’ at least as good as Splash Mountain since neither has anything to do with the Frontier.

There are a ton of justifiable reasons for this change that have nothing to do with politics, but it does feel that the underlying opinions of these types of shows bases mostly around their personal political stances and that’s just really bizarre for me.

This overlay feels better in my opinion than Maelstroms because World Showcase is intended to be a look into the cultures, lore and experiences of the host country. Frontierland is already a hodgepodge and Disney openly admits this because cast members at Country Bear, TSI and Splash all wear the same costume but Big Thunder Mountain has a different costume because it takes place in Utah whereas the others take place near the Mississippi River which is not really the frontier as we know it.

it’s always sad when a ride that brought us a lot of great memories closes down. Splash Mountain was a ride I wouldn’t do the first few times I went to Disneyland because I was too afraid. As an adult it’s the ride that I had to hop off of once because I got a phone call as I was getting on the ride (ironically it was from Pete who I had never met at that time) and the friend I had to ditch on the ride was just going to go alone but 1 member of a huge group from Brazil got confused and jumped on the ride with her. So we have a photo of my whole friend group and 1 random Brazilian guy who got on the wrong log and couldn’t understand that his family wasn’t on it. Everyone has their stories and memories and it’s worth respecting when someone is sad that a change is happening.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree with this for sure. I feel Disney and most of the Disney channels are going about this whole thing in a weirdly political way when they just don’t have to at all. It isn’t unusual or unreasonable for a ride to get a new overlay, especially when the subject matter is outdated or the ride is not working functionally. Splash Mountain suffers in both of these areas.

We had a copy of the VHS of Song of The South and I saw it many times as a kid. I do not remember anything about it because it just was not good enough to remember even what the plot was about and I feel most people would say the same thing, so the subject matter is definitely dated. I cross trained at Splash Mountain and the ride itself has a LOT of problems. It broke down constantly, there were water leaks constantly, there were issues with guests taking inappropriate photos on the drop etc. Also, when you do the big drop and go around the corner there’s one more small drop because Disney used 2 different contractors at the same time to get the ride built faster - that spot is where the 2 sides met up….and they didn’t match. So they had to put in the worlds smallest drop. This is a good chance to correct a lot of the issues that this ride had. While I don’t think Princess and the Frog is the best IP Disney has, I think it’s a lot more popular than Song of the South and fits the theme of ‘frontier’ at least as good as Splash Mountain since neither has anything to do with the Frontier.

There are a ton of justifiable reasons for this change that have nothing to do with politics, but it does feel that the underlying opinions of these types of shows bases mostly around their personal political stances and that’s just really bizarre for me.

This overlay feels better in my opinion than Maelstroms because World Showcase is intended to be a look into the cultures, lore and experiences of the host country. Frontierland is already a hodgepodge and Disney openly admits this because cast members at Country Bear, TSI and Splash all wear the same costume but Big Thunder Mountain has a different costume because it takes place in Utah whereas the others take place near the Mississippi River which is not really the frontier as we know it.

it’s always sad when a ride that brought us a lot of great memories closes down. Splash Mountain was a ride I wouldn’t do the first few times I went to Disneyland because I was too afraid. As an adult it’s the ride that I had to hop off of once because I got a phone call as I was getting on the ride (ironically it was from Pete who I had never met at that time) and the friend I had to ditch on the ride was just going to go alone but 1 member of a huge group from Brazil got confused and jumped on the ride with her. So we have a photo of my whole friend group and 1 random Brazilian guy who got on the wrong log and couldn’t understand that his family wasn’t on it. Everyone has their stories and memories and it’s worth respecting when someone is sad that a change is happening.

This is exactly what I think and also your description of the maintenance was a great explanation for the reasoning. Honestly, if they'd have the depth on the show it'd be great.

As an Epcot purist, I'm also with you. Maelstrom, Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth were my favorite WDW rides. I love roller coasters but go other places for that.

Edit: I removed my response to what I thought of the situation. Not really the place. Suffice to say I agree, I wish places would be a lot less political and more consistent on their stances. The last line did say "People are quick to vilify things they don't care about but usually make justifications and give passes if something they do care about does something wrong."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
This is exactly what I think and also your description of the maintenance was a great explanation for the reasoning. Honestly, if they'd have the depth on the show it'd be great.

As an Epcot purist, I'm also with you. Maelstrom, Living with the Land, and Spaceship Earth were my favorite WDW rides. I love roller coasters but go other places for that.

Edit: I removed my response to what I thought of the situation. Not really the place. Suffice to say I agree, I wish places would be a lot less political and more consistent on their stances. The last line did say "People are quick to vilify things they don't care about but usually make justifications and give passes if something they do care about does something wrong."
I saw it before the deletion actually and I didn’t know most of that information so it was good to hear. I’ve actively tried to research ‘why’ it’s an issue and essentially just get met with, people shouldn’t be asking this question, which doesn’t work for me lol. I’m not just going to blindly follow.

but you did mention this generation not having seen the movie and it’s very true. I like pranking people a lot and some of my friends who aren’t as aware of Disney stuff asked me what Splash Mountain was based on.

I told them that it was a book written long ago and was similar to Animal Farm. It’s set in a dystopian future where animals represent different factions and go into a Hunger Games style arena and fight to the death. This particular one bring back a mix of past winners and new animals and ‘winner’ in their language is ‘Brer’ so anytime you see a mailbox with Brer _____ that’s a previous winner and the others like Jaybird are new contestants. As the ride goes you see less and less animals because they are being killed off. Eventually Brer Rabbit wins his second Hunger Games and they celebrate him with a big party after the waterfall and we all have a zipadeedooda day’ and I explained that the current Hunger Games is just a human remake of Song of the South. So when all this came up, they were like yea it’s problematic it’s a ride about killing animals in a death match.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Splash mountain isn’t and wasn’t an issue I don’t care how much social justice pretzel you try to concoct.

Reactions: 8
Does anyone know what Panda's been up to? I haven't seen him on the Dis site in a while. I checked out his social media and no postings for a long time. It is just strange that he was brought on and became the new star and now radio silence.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone know what Panda's been up to? I haven't seen him on the Dis site in a while. I checked out his social media and no postings for a long time. It is just strange that he was brought on and became the new star and now radio silence.
Didn't he get Rona recently? Someone with his health issues even being vaccinated, Covid could do a number on.

looks like he went on the Pixar cruise

I think he just filmed a batch of DVC show videos the other day (I want to say I saw something on social media alluding to that) so I expect he'll be making the rounds again on other shows soon too.

I think he just filmed a batch of DVC show videos the other day (I want to say I saw something on social media alluding to that) so I expect he'll be making the rounds again on other shows soon too.
Thanks, I haven't been checking out the DVC shows since Pete hasn't been on those for a while.

Didn't he get Rona recently? Someone with his health issues even being vaccinated, Covid could do a number on.
I think he just got another covid booster...that's probably why he hasn't been on the show for awhile. He's probably sick a s a dog right now.

So this social justice warrior thinks its okay to hang with someone who have been accused by multiple women, including ex-girlfriends, for abuse, sexual assault, scamming and drug use? Okay then🙄 Didn’t think she could fall lower.
Don’t forget trespassing on Disney property during the pandemic shutdown and claiming to security his vlogging was “essential.”

Reactions: 4
Ughh that was beyond embarrassing. He is the definition of an awful vlogger
It goes hand and hand she’s awful as well boasting on the show how she uses DAS but then always tells us how she waits in long lines for merchandise or standing around forever watching splash mountain. Yes boast about your DAS usage.

Reactions: 9
It goes hand and hand she’s awful as well boasting on the show how she uses DAS but then always tells us how she waits in long lines for merchandise or standing around forever watching splash mountain. Yes boast about your DAS usage.
Did she get her DAS pass for being excruciatingly boring or for having a bad haircut?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.