The DisUnplugged #3 Cruising on Fumes by nightmaresunlimitedtravel

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It goes hand and hand she’s awful as well boasting on the show how she uses DAS but then always tells us how she waits in long lines for merchandise or standing around forever watching splash mountain. Yes boast about your DAS usage.
It really hard not to wonder if Erica is a perfect example of someone who abuses the DAS pass system. If you can walk around the park alllllll day, day after day and vlog on social media you can stand in a line. Clearly you think you are healthy enough to do this job.

Reactions: 12
I agree with this for sure. I feel Disney and most of the Disney channels are going about this whole thing in a weirdly political way when they just don’t have to at all. It isn’t unusual or unreasonable for a ride to get a new overlay, especially when the subject matter is outdated or the ride is not working functionally. Splash Mountain suffers in both of these areas.
It's pretty unusual for one of the top 3 attractions in the Magic Kingdom to get a complete theme refurbishment. You could make the same argument for Pirates of the Caribbean, Dumbo and Peter Pan too. They all have their issues. Dumbo with its black crows with African American accents, Peter Pan with its portrayal of Native Americans and Pirates of the Caribbean with its treatment of women.

If you look hard enough, you'll find something. I'm surprised there's not more uproar over Aladdin or Pocahontas too. Talk about cultural appropriation. Go read Pocahontas' back story. It's terrible. She wasn't painting all the "Colors of the Wind." She was getting raped by her white captors.

However, just because you like Splash Mountain doesn't make you a racist either. Listening to Disney podcast hosts repeat the politically correct line on the show and pass judgement on those that like the ride or are sad to see it go, makes me cringe. It's just not that simple. Especially knowing damn well they didn't even have opinion on the ride two or three years ago. It was probably in their Top 5.

There's several generations of park goers that had no idea the source material of Splash Mountain. They don't know that "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" was a rip off of an offensive blackface comedic song or the Brer characters come from the Uncle Remus stories that were published by a white author that learned them by listening to black plantation workers.

They just like the ride and enjoyed the ride for what it is—a fun log flume with catchy music. It's a classic to them. It's one of the few rides at Magic Kingdom that's worth standing in long lines for.

I get it. The best way for Disney to win these people over is to blow them out of the water with the re-theme. I just don't think current Disney is up to the task.

We had a copy of the VHS of Song of The South and I saw it many times as a kid. I do not remember anything about it because it just was not good enough to remember even what the plot was about and I feel most people would say the same thing, so the subject matter is definitely dated.
This is how I know you're from the South because we had it too along with the Disney Golden Books about Brer Rabbit and Tar Baby (gasp!).

What's so hilarious about Song of the South, is it's just as you say—it's a long, slow and mediocre film. The only bright parts are James Baskett's endearing acting (he reminds me a lot of my grandpa), the Zip a Dee Doo Dah live action/animation scene and the Brer animated scenes.

No kid today would even make it through the film. They'd be asking to go back to Frozen or Encanto in the first five minutes.

I cross trained at Splash Mountain and the ride itself has a LOT of problems. It broke down constantly, there were water leaks constantly, there were issues with guests taking inappropriate photos on the drop etc. Also, when you do the big drop and go around the corner there’s one more small drop because Disney used 2 different contractors at the same time to get the ride built faster - that spot is where the 2 sides met up….and they didn’t match. So they had to put in the worlds smallest drop. This is a good chance to correct a lot of the issues that this ride had. While I don’t think Princess and the Frog is the best IP Disney has, I think it’s a lot more popular than Song of the South and fits the theme of ‘frontier’ at least as good as Splash Mountain since neither has anything to do with the Frontier.
I just don't think they're going to fix anything. They might do some needed maintenance on the rails and boats, but the the majority of the ride is going to stay the same. They're not going to correct structural issues.

Will they spend money on it? Yeah. I think the Louis animatronic is going to be out of this world ($$$). We're going to see lots of projected background scenes, recovered animatronics, great music and it's finally going to be well lit.

However, they're not going to sand or replace fiberglass or resin.

They don't have the time. This is a major attraction at the Magic Kingdom and park operations want it back open as soon as possible—see Maelstrom. It's going to continue to have major maintenance issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
i cant wait for the projector animatronics where their face cuts off completly after you look at them from the side (sarcasm)

• Haha
Reactions: 1
i cant wait for the projector animatronics where their face cuts off completly after you look at them from the side (sarcasm)
They've dumped those type of animatronics in the coming new Frozen attractions being built in Paris and Hong Kong. So, hopefully that era is over with Disneyland's Runaway Railway.

Reactions: 1
New thread created: congratulations to the RealBobChapek for getting the most likes on the title suggestions

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.