The Chateau Diaries #7 Chateaux ignored, add to the hoard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Perhaps this thread’s summary can be our glossary for those who are new or those who have been around for a while but are just confused!

CD - The Chateau Diaries
BJJ - Baby Jesus Jeans, aka Philip
PP (Nostril of Lalande) - Prince Philip
LOTL/LOTLL - Lady of the (Lost) Lake, aka Stephanie
SJ - Stephanie Jarvis
Nitti/Nutty - Nati
MP/MP2 - Michael Petherick
Trotter - any Petherick family reference
Ma Trotter - Sheree Petherick
Dear Brenda/BG - Brenda Gibbons (superfan/Facebook admin) from Donegal Ireland
Karen Cbomb - other superfan/admin, Canada
Donegals - limericks (renamed in honour of Dear Brenda)
Potty/MP - Michael Potts
Agents - Tattlers who find out juicy background info
Chat O (or variations) - Chateau (how Brenda says it)
“BuyMeACoffee” - give me money (no, really, give me money, I really need it)

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I’ve started researching the chateau featured by Dan. It was posted on Le Bon Coin — similar to Gumtree in the UK. It was bought three years ago at auction, the owner (Patrick Surget) only interested in its 8 hectares of woodland and the guardian’s cottage he wants to restore for himself using the money from the sale of the chateau. The chateau he hopes will be dismantled or restored... No starting price listed. The post has now been taken down from Le Bon Coin.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I’ve started researching the chateau featured by Dan. It was posted on Le Bon Coin — similar to Gumtree in the UK. It was bought three years ago at auction, the owner (Patrick Surget) only interested in its 8 hectares of woodland and the guardian’s cottage he wants to restore for himself using the money from the sale of the chateau. The chateau he hopes will be dismantled or restored... No starting price listed. The post has now been taken down from Le Bon Coin.
Interesting. So you potentially get a cheap chateau but your neighbour owns pretty well all the land.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Interesting. So you potentially get a cheap chateau but your neighbour owns pretty well all the land.
I don’t think Dan has really thought this through, however good his intentions. He would have been better off with something less derelict for a charitable cause. Also, it appears to have the same name as its much more famous counterpart, which could lead to confusion! Of course, since this article was written, the owner may have had a change of heart and is selling the whole kit and caboodle. Perhaps Dan could clarify... I can’t help making comparisons with the whole fairytale lake scenario...

Reactions: 14
Haha just read this update on Dan's go fund me:

"PLEASE note if the fund raiser is successful you will not officially own the chateau or be liable for your share, your donation secures your place among the committee of donators who will decide on all the chateau elements and directions through voting. The aim of the chateau will not be to benefit anyone financially or provide a home but rather develop into something that can raise money for a charitable cause ultimately"

What charitable cause is he on about? How can you start a project and fundraising without stating its ultimate purpose? Makes absolutely no sense.

N.B Dan, the word is "donor" not "donator"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
This is madness, the 75000 are for buying and hopefully tax and any real estate agents? Next comes then another gofundme for getting estimates how to restore it? And then another gofundme for 10 Million to rebuild it? And then in between he will realise that he can't finish it and will sell it, but all the donors won't get their money back, am I right?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
This is madness, the 75000 are for buying and hopefully tax and any real estate agents? Next comes then another gofundme for getting estimates how to restore it? And then another gofundme for 10 Million to rebuild it? And then in between he will realise that he can't finish it and will sell it, but all the donors won't get their money back, am I right?
Do old French chateaux cast some sort of haunted spell, disproportionately affecting Brits, which causes those living souls to lose any sense of rational thought and financial acumen?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Do old French chateaux cast some sort of haunted spell, disproportionately affecting Brits, which causes those living souls to lose any sense of rational thought and financial acumen?
In Dan’s case, I think charity really should begin at home. He has a lot on his plate already with his own house and two young boys who need him.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
In Dan’s case, I think charity really should begin at home. He has a lot on his plate already with his own house and two young boys who need him.
To quote PJJ.. I agree. I'm hardly going to donate to someone who is still to prove they can sanely rebuild their own home and spell.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Very funny and seemingly very true, France is close to the UK and the low cost of properties is to tempting, I have a house in France (not a chateau) it is easy to see how beguiled people can become at the thought of owning there own castle, but even after restoring , the huge running costs never end . This is why the French are happy for us Brits to buy and bring life back into their old relics. make them beautiful again. I have just joined this forum, I think I am becoming addicted to watching "The Chateau Lalande " love or hate their antics.

Reactions: 14
YouTubeitis, with mutant strains known as Patreonitis and GoFundMeitis.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Note the comment at the end tagging Scotman... oh she’s SO in with the in crowd. 🙄 it’s quite sad really.
Snap .... had the very same thought 💭

However .... DB would be the very last thing I’d be on friendly terms ... whilst awaiting an accountant s verification of a tax benefit 🤨

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Re the Dan & family Chateau grab saga, I am speechless! & have unsubscribed. Out of all the Chateau YouTubers they seemed one of the nicest, in fact at one point Analise was saying the word “literally” about 30 times an episode & when people on here pointed it out she suddenly stopped, I guess she reads tattle 👍 well if you’re reading analise it would be wise after all the generous donations so far & I'm sure there’s a lot we don’t know about. Finish your farm buildings/cottages/barn that you live in, lots of YouTube content there (we never see the rest of their house? It could be a palace for all we know) once you’ve done up the whole house & your acres of land you can sell it & buy the chateau, like people in the real world have to do & not expect other people to pay for it. There are clearly some very vulnerable people watching these channels handing over family heirlooms & wads of cash. It’s getting very dark now with all the begging. I’m amazed a newspaper hasn’t got hold of this yet, it wouldn’t take much for a journalist to work out what’s going on. Ruthy, Potty’s girlfriend used to work for a paper that would love this expose 👀 Daily Mail scoop!!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I don’t think Dan has really thought this through, however good his intentions. He would have been better off with something less derelict for a charitable cause. Also, it appears to have the same name as its much more famous counterpart, which could lead to confusion! Of course, since this article was written, the owner may have had a change of heart and is selling the whole kit and caboodle. Perhaps Dan could clarify... I can’t help making comparisons with the whole fairytale lake scenario...
I can't blame him for trying. Everyone thinks the owners/rescuers of Chateau de la Mothe-Chandeniers are heroes.

...and too late. SOLD

1609263388440.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
I can't blame him for trying. Everyone thinks the owners/rescuers of Chateau de la Mothe-Chandeniers are heroes.

...and too late. SOLD

View attachment 363668
Starting a crowd-funding project before it was even agreed in principle... It beggars belief. And now he’ll have to give everyone a refund presumably...

Last edited:
  • Sad
There are clearly some very vulnerable people watching these channels handing over family heirlooms & wads of cash. It’s getting very dark now with all the begging.
This is something which I also have been very concerned about, it sometimes reminds me of those repulsive TV Evangelists, who used to try to pluck the elderly bald back in the day...

I did wonder what Stephanie used for a creche last year, and the years before that, given the one in the attic was in such a state? She is no fool, and probably noticed that a surge in patrons occurred around the time she vlogged about saving the chapel. Many religious people were touched by that and I do notice that many of her followers are believers. I think she is cashing-in on the religious element and exploiting the pearl-clutchers; unfortunately that also broght her on to the hideous DB's radar.

But where will this all end?!

I’m amazed a newspaper hasn’t got hold of this yet, it wouldn’t take much for a journalist to work out what’s going on. Ruthy, Potty’s girlfriend used to work for a paper that would love this expose 👀 Daily Mail scoop!!!!!
Well said Takeaway.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.