The Chateau Diaries #137 Fraudie Fannie finagles finances from foolish fading female fanatics!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, a bit before she got famous (more like notorious) but yes, very prudish indeed.
I think it's been said that she was a bit dowdy in her 30's - but not from her photo with Potts here when they were first at LaLande. I know she's more blonde now which adds to the glam look. When were the pix of her and Ruthie on a London tube in stockings? That was a good few years ago wasn't? Maybe prudish because she wasn't really interested in doing the deed. But she's certainly came out of her shell pretty quickly!!

Attachments

• Sick
Reactions: 11
S
Oh Selmar ... time lapse for the chewing at high tea, with music that blared out strong! I jumped and then laughed my head off!
The poor man is SO awkward. (video starts at the part where I jumped and then laughed!)

Bill and Vivianne are lovely people. I really enjoyed the tour and the history of their place! I'm super impressed with their reno. The new double glaced windows that are styled in keeping with the original, having hired a roofer, and a mason, and it sounds like they have electric heating (which I assume must be pricey, but at least it sounds like they heat the place), and obviously Bill does very through and neat work. Impressive. I do have to say, that I don't care for everything being so white and flat and undecorated (in the Canadian meaning of that), but they obviously put their priorities in the right place. When they want to sell they will have a piece of property that has added value and the colour and lack of furniture and items to make it have more life can be added by any new owner. Personally, if I was buying a place I'd like to take it over after Bill and Viv have done their thing! They have done all the hard basics and leave the fun stuff of decorating and furnishing!
elmar is like an even duller Philip! Like omg stop selmar just live your life be happy

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Lol - this video is great to rewatch. It has all your favorite hits!

“This tablecloth will be perfect for the Summer Garden party!”

Stephanie “no pants” flashing everyone at Emmaus while lounging on a filthy couch, which she buys and I don’t remember ever seeing again which is probably a good thing!

And by no pants I mean no undies! 😂

100 Stars headbands for everyone!

Actually, watching a bit of the girls going through some of the clothes at Emmaus is fun and Stephanie isn’t manic, but just kind of genuinely funny, and shows why she had a likable show in the beginning.
I used to enjoy the Emmaus episodes until Snorts came along 😑

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I think Kirsty is tough as nails, judging not least from the way she strongarmed her interviewer on the subject of Jarvis. Although, Clara, you called it on Dan centuries ago and I attributed it to your radiant pessimism. I owe you one.
Kirsty's adjustment to life in France, her viability among the French, her giving up the care package of British food stuffs and finding local equivalents at the supermarche, her ability not to be taken by French artisanal workers' wild estimates for the gringoes, tells me unlike Jarvis she is reading the room and adjusting to conditions on the ground. Roots in local French society, including the animal rescue network Kirsty has for injured birds and hedgehogs tells me she's reaching out and parley vousing.
That said, wide experience gives me an eye for expat failure to thrive. She and her man have clearly got some food issues, and perhaps other activities which people exile themselves from their homelands to indulge. Not saying it's so, just saying expats feel empowered to enact their vices when they move abroad. This includes things like the Shreks, who have nothing else to do, making volunteers cook their dinners, and wallowing in the whole idea one can have servants. The whole memsahib fascism Jarvis does, as a lower middle class girl. Humboldt and many other doughty explorers have a penchant for little brown boys. Etc.
This can be fatal. Kirsty's deal is she's always had sheep and wanted to farm and in France she could, on a dog walker's salary, afford it. I can't think of any expat vices inherent in that, and baby grrrrrrl is working her tail off (as does Dan). But I hope -- as you so deftly prove that I am wrong to do, big smootches! -- Kirsty's exogamy for the French will save her. I wonder if she's encouraging Annalise to do the same -- the only other Lalander (Ian?) to try to make a life in and among the French.
Food issues darling? Agreed with everything else but not sure about that part.. Lucy you got some splanin to do, please.

I agree with this...have always thought so.
Then on the other hand, those with narc tendencies are often addicts. My own narc has admitted he's an addict. Wasn't a surprise to me, of course, I've had a front row seat for the show. If it isn't food, alcohol or drugs it's sex. 😳

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Hi there Simple Life and thanks for your comments. I agree that fanny uses her "daddys" art to appear cultured, but his work is not very significant in the bigger picture of the art world, especially in France, and I think people nod in agreement just to placate her and then secretly puzzle over her infatuation assuming it's a personal bias. I agree with your assessment that his work lacks emotion, and after the initial draw to color, line, and shape, the viewer is left feeling bored and underwhelmed with the superficial design elements. Not a lot of there, there. The work has no depth, no subtlety, or compelling emotion, other than whimsy. Regarding the relationship with "daddy", fanny seems enamored with her father in the way that a fangirl is infatuated with a rock star. The relationships with the men in her life, likewise, seem based on superficial trappings. So "daddy" and his painting are large, colorful, and whimsical, but lack depth, emotion, or a deep connection to the subject matter. Picasso, like DJ (and this is where the comparison stops) stylized his subjects into nonpersonal objects with no individuality or intrinsic value except to be manipulated into whatever he wanted them to be on the canvas. As a result, they all pretty much look the same. DJ's portrayal of people is similar in this regard. I find it hard to believe that he was a psychiatric nurse. I couldn't get fanny to engage in any meaningful conversation about her parent's work with people in treatment and she never refers to it in any meaningful way in her vlogs. Aside from Amaury, the whole family seems pretty detached and self-absorbed. That's about all I have to say on the subject. Thanks for going there with me on this though.
Thank you! It couldn't have been said better, and thank you for expanding some points, especially the ones about the whole family being detached and self-absorbed. And allegedly that was the message Stephanie got from her parents, hence what we see. I may add that her acritical attachment to these paintings and to everything daddy's could be her attempt to save her father-figure, although in a childish way and who could blame her? If that was how she was brought up and she hasn't a strong personality of her own, she was crushed and stuck in the fairy world she thinks will protect her. That's how a narc is generated. Which doesn't of course absolve her from being a grabber, a con artist, an expoliter etc. She's big enough to address her issues and how they affect her life and others' lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Bless Viv and Bill; they are lovely and so very patient, but Selmar please get a grip on reality because this is just plain gawd awful.

• Haha
  • Heart
I do know that with limited time, I’ve got to really want to paint something in order to sit down and do it. So, what he produced what what he must have really want to do.
Exactly!!! I'm also an amateur painter. I've sold a few things in a local shop years ago. I can totally agree that I also paint what I'm interested in. I'm not a huge fan of abstract type art but, from the moment I laid eyes on daddy's paintings I thought there was some weird shite going on there. Her mention of "daddy" as if she's still a little girl is always disturbing also. She was an adult when he passed so being childlike still when mentioning him seems odd. If he truly painted most of that art for the shitoo isn't that strange too. He's surrounded his daughter with a lot of twisted images to remember him by. JMHO

@The Simple Life
I really like this comment you made: I must also add that she has no taste whatsoever in hanging them. She seems to hang them all in the worst places, as they are surrounded by milions of colours and patterns from her "decoration".

I think someone mentioned that his artwork suits Isobel's beachfront South African home with its white walls and open plan living area.

I agree that she should have created a gallery a long time ago for his art, as many have suggested. But I think Stef the Narc wants to see her daddy's artworks featuring her in every room, rather than hidden away in a gallery.
Yes! Instead of that weird blue and white room, make it a gallery of all of daddy's art. Put in a fainting couch and smelling salts just in case the viewer needs reviving!! 😎

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Thinking who may be at HMN for Easter, I wondered if Davy may actually be a surname. So with a couple of clicks I may have located our man of mystery. Not sure if this qualifies as an Easter miracle, but check this out.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I'm an absolute lover of naïve art - my mum gave me a book on it when I was about 12 and have loved it ever since - I don't like DJ's art at all, it reminds me of Mondrian, but that's probably because of all the primary colours!
But I wonder if it would fall under the category of naïve (although naïve art isn't flat like that)?
My great great grandfather was the artist that went with the archeologists who exhumed the Nineveh tombs; he had to draw all the stuff they found, but his son, was an amateur artist; he won an award for his art but never wanted to go professional - we have two portraits and one of a dog (my favourite) of his - an art rest orator had to fix up one of them as my sister poked a pencil through it, he wanted to buy it and offered a crazy amount for it. However, none of his work is catalogued or listed anywhere - we're cool with that.
But of course, as I stated before, there is nothing wrong with amateur painters, as long as they are not taken as "great artists". An amateur painter can of course become a professional, and we have many examples, if there is talent, dedication, study, research etc. and develop a very personal style. This is not the case with DJ. Naïve or naif art is something different, it springs from popular or folk art and, in some cases, can become great art, like it is the case with the self-taught Douanier Rousseau.

1650194502661.png

or the great Italian Antonio Ligabue, a very poor, mentally ill person who became one of the most significant Italian painters. He too was self-taught
1650194437320.png

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I agree. If you really wanted to though, you could dig down, amend the hell out of the soil, use a tiller like Kristy did, and have a good shot. What you then need to do is use a granular fertilizer that will spike the acid levels again and continually add mulch and amendments to the bed. It can be done, but you need a good gardener to do it.
All great suggestions but, to use a tiller they will first need to clear the roots. Can't see that happening. You never know though. Dan does like to play on the digger and I'm pretty sure he reads here. 😉

Reactions: 7
Been meaning to ask.. what are your thoughts in regards to the Murdaugh family? I've been listening to the Murdaugh Murders podcast by Mandy Matney, its all there...murder, corruption, old family money. Not trying to derail...curious as to how local residents view the ongoing investigation.
Yes, Mandy Matney is doing a great job. Like beyond great. Dog w/bone. People are, for the most part GLUED to this story. National press has pretty much come and gone, as you might be aware, but locally - it’s a hot topic. Everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop, who killed the wife and son. That’s yet to be revealed. It’s particularly haunting for us, as we’re within eyesight of the boat dock that Paul and friends departed from on that fateful night.

• Wow
  • Heart
Thinking who may be at HMN for Easter, I wondered if Davy may actually be a surname. So with a couple of clicks I may have located our man of mystery. Not sure if this qualifies as an Easter miracle, but check this out.
Great sleuthing @Lady Avonlea If this is indeed the real Davy, I like some of those projects. Impressive.

But how the finished design will be executed at the HMN I am not so confident.

• Heart
Great sleuthing @Lady Avonlea If this is indeed the real Davy, I like some of those projects. Impressive.

But how the finished design will be executed at the HMN I am not so confident.
Perhaps that’s why he hasn’t connected a professional name to it. Knowing how she half-asses everything he’s doing preemptive damage control?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
'Well, well, well...you could have solved one of life's little mysteries! The antennae are aquiver. Splendid investigative tenacity.

IF this IS Lalande's landscape architect in residence, possibly Davy is his second name - de Smet is a surname/last name I've come across in England although I've no idea where it originated and if there was a Belgian connection, i.e. The de Smet I know vaguely was brought up here as was his father.

Definitely something for Tattle Super Sleuths to dig deep (as we're talking gardens!) on.

Does anyone remember an episode of CD and SJ talked about a season of Opera that she was in? From the sounds I've heard her make, I always found it difficult to understand her actually being in an opera, unless it was the chorus (I've been in musicals and can hold a tune but I'd never be a soloist). I wonder what Opera it was.
She never was in an opera. She did some local appearances alongside real professionals, mostly because they wanted to be nice to the host that catered for the real artists. But she never has performed in a serious part in any opera. She is not a skilled opera singer and not just because she's too lazy to rehearse, her voice just isn't suitable.

I think it's been said that she was a bit dowdy in her 30's - but not from her photo with Potts here when they were first at LaLande. I know she's more blonde now which adds to the glam look. When were the pix of her and Ruthie on a London tube in stockings? That was a good few years ago wasn't? Maybe prudish because she wasn't really interested in doing the deed. But she's certainly came out of her shell pretty quickly!!
Maybe she dressed down for events, but in daily live she was dressed all the way up to her chin.

• Haha
  • Heart
'Well, well, well...you could have solved one of life's little mysteries! The antennae are aquiver. Splendid investigative tenacity.

IF this IS Lalande's landscape architect in residence, possibly Davy is his second name - de Smet is a surname/last name I've come across in England although I've no idea where it originated and if there was a Belgian connection, i.e. The de Smet I know vaguely was brought up here as was his father.

Definitely something for Tattle Super Sleuths to dig deep (as we're talking gardens!) on.
Yes, we need our Belgian tattlers to pick up the scent....

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Unfortunately the picture of Davy De Smet doesn’t look at all like the Davy who visits the shitto.

• Sad
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.