The Bucket List Family - they want your cash!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've always loved this channel as they were self made and felt like a breath of fresh air. Until today. I've been stewing about it all day as I'm actually really disappointed.

If you don't know them, they made $54 million selling an app to Snapchat. Garrett Gee had the idea, but hired someone smarter to actually do it, he is actually really smart, at the height of it's popularity he was working 1 day per month, he hired others to do the work. Sold the app to Snapchat, and he and wife and kids have travelled the most beautiful places in the world in style the last 3 years, using his appearance on Shark Tank to get a foothold and then getting endless advertising and free deals. They do the coolest things, and visit the coolest places, endlessly. Big companies work with them, eg giving them free 30 day stays to Disney where they stayed in a different Disney hotel every night & their kids were spoilt silly etc They live a very charmed life. Great content to watch I actually liked all of that.

Recently they bought a 100 year old home in Hawaii. To show how jammy they are, they loved the beach with turtles location but it needed major repairs. They decided to holiday to several different destinations 'as inspiration' and another youtube channel would do all the work for free. All they had to do was send some loose ideas back what they wanted. lol. They even went to countries they'd just left for pete's sake, but at least it got them away from all the dirty work, and they came home to a high tech, perfect home with zero effort. After moving in Garrett went on insta to say it was a massive step to settle down and they were nervous what content to make next as they'd be stuck at home with kids going to school etc so what to make video's on? Later he admitted they would still be holidaying some place new every month, but at this point they were saying they had quit the travel vlogs.

So I racked my brains and realised I would love to know more about their lifestyle, I've always wondered as I watch, how are they doing this? Their life is flawless. They have more fun in 1 day than I've had in years! So I went on insta and told him this, and asked if he could please make video's on their favourite hints and tips. Things they've learnt travelling, that style I'd enjoy. Heck, even tips travelling with kids, just how they live their life would be great. As we never see much of that, just promoting a hotel or spa or pool, you know? I know that they exercise every day, but that's about it! So yeah that would appeal to me, if they have nothing better to vlog. So! Garrett hearts my comment, and replies something like 'Great thoughts!'. This was a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how to go back further than 2 weeks on insta please? I'm pretty sure those are his exact words but I wanted to prove it!

Fast fwd a few weeks. Today they released a video after a lot of teasing about an exciting new project we're gonna love, saying Will you be our friend? kinda thing. So I check it out and in it there is a list of all these secret video's they are gonna make that are exactly my suggestion, hints and tips, what they've learnt, they're practices, but we have to pay every month to see them :eek: It's a sub service only. I'm honestly so disappointed. I never meant that in a million years when I made the suggestion. I'm not saying they got it from me but I'm deeply suspicious. He literally saw my comments, liked them and then ran with it as far as I can see :cautious: And it's not like he likes every comment, I've made tons of comments over a year or so and he never noticed any. Only this one.

These are so ridiculously wealthy already, who boast they've never touched their fortune, as they live off top of the range freebies. So why do they need our money too? It's pretty obvious reading in the comments we are the poors in comparison :oops: So many people writing how they can barely get food on the table, or are old and can't travel, or sick like me, or are children, and how we are all thanking them for sharing their blessed lifestyle, so we can live vicariously through them once per week. So why would Garrett auto think, I know, let's charge them for good content :sneaky:(y)

Whenever youtubers I used to like got me down with their scamming and misbehaving and laziness and ripped my rose tinted glasses clean off, I'd always think, at least the bucket list family are genuine. Until today. Idk it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I know it doesn't sound much, it's 5 pounds per month, but it will add up to see all the video's. It's only 1 video for that five pounds per month. I'm just offended they would charge for youtube video's that would be normal video's. Are hints and tips that special?

The only good thing about their CREEPY will you be our friend video, is that they are finally open that all these expensive hotels and trips are free. I always suspected it, they never out and out admitted we were watching ads, they'd just say Disney invited us, or thank you Disney for the invitation, you know, that kind of thing, but in this video suddenly they are transparent, we got these free things with these big businesses and we can show you!

Maybe I'm being over sensitive as my back is really hurting today, but it just felt like a slap in the face.

It's okay to have an e-club type thing, but don't be creeping around saying we want you to be our friend!!! But only if you pay us for the privilege to be our 'friend', you know? It's so fake. Be honest, you want our money to watch extra video's. Btw I notice that some of the titles of video's coming up, they've already done free on their channel! lol. There's one about their relationship, they've already done video's all about their relationship lol

To me at least, it feels the same as if I asked Mrs Hinch how she cleans her car, if she asked for new content ideas, and then she's like I'm doing a clean your car video today! ... but it's 5 pounds to watch for you! :devilish:

I wish I'd kept my mouth shut now lmao Maybe they were gonna do it anyway who knows. I just feel sad haha :rolleyes:

Will you be our friend? HAHA how creepy is this

We have a question for you... WILL YOU GIVE US YOUR MONEY YOU NEED AND WE DON'T NEED, MONTHLY?! :ROFLMAO:

Bye friends! We mean, Suckers! LOL

When will these youtubers realize, the days of conning people are over. Most of us just aren't into it anymore. It's lazy and it's uninspired and it sucks. Especially as these people are already golden and have more wealth than most of us will ever see in several lifetimes over.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Ugh that's so money grabbing!

Small charities and creator need money, not multi millionaires. It's peoples own fault if they pay up. But they should get a backlash.

Friends is so creepy, its customers they mean! Buying friends :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 6
They recently connected with the Leblanc/bratayley family, I blame them for this bullshit!!!!!

Reactions: 2
Ugh that's so money grabbing!

Small charities and creator need money, not multi millionaires. It's peoples own fault if they pay up. But they should get a backlash.

Friends is so creepy, its customers they mean! Buying friends :ROFLMAO:
I agree, it's caused a split in their fans and it's got so toxic.

They've been deleting some of the most popular comments that were calling them out for it. And they've hearted all the ones that are reprimanding people for finding the concept of paying for friends distasteful. They have not addressed it at all, just swept it under the rug.

Their next video is heavy on using their kids for positive pr.

I'm honestly really disappointed in them, I thought they were different. You only get 1 video for that monthly subscription fee, lol! How lazy is that, I bet Zoella wish she had thought of that.

@98872 Oh my gosh you're right!! They did, I barely noticed them in the vlogs. Ugh, of course!

Last edited:
There are some really good responses, so I want to quote them before they get deleted. They also seem to either have super fans or spare accounts who bully and harrass anyone who complains about them. Apparently when Disney featured them recently they got a ton of hate on it, so it seems to be that outside this bubble they are not well-received, so not sure who these sudden 'super fans' are?! They even say in their insta stories when disney post about them to ignore the comments haha :ROFLMAO: I don't have the best ones from initially, the ones with 200 likes etc they were mostly deleted. They are also withholding comments for approval.

Over the past few months, the community has sat through constant sponsorships, rehashed "Best of" moments that we have all seen already, weeks without substantial videos and tiny 2 minute videos when you do post. And now you have a Patreon style support model with exclusive videos. Honestly, this isn't what I signed up for. I understand that you need to make money but when every video is an ad or a sponsorship or in partner with a company, you become a paid shill. I've seen this with other creators and honestly, it doesn't bode well for the future. Once you start fracturing your fanbase into the haves and the havenots, it becomes extremely toxic. Not to mention all the creators who just stop posting to Youtube for weeks because they have that cozy little community that is giving them money every single month. Why post to people who see stuff for free when you can post for the ones who pay? We only have enough time to make one video this week, I guess the ones who pay deserve it more! I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen because you've built a wonderful community, however, the mighty do fall and often they trip over their own feet.

Um it's hard to give up $5 a month..i know people are going to slam me for just five bucks but i already cut back a lot to barely keep my head above water. I'm aware that y'all got to make money as well so keep doing what y'all doing! Maybe one day I'll be able to get this luxury of being y'alls friend!

I would love to be your friend for 5 dollars but to be my friend it will cost 10 dollars a month. Can you pay through paypal?

Maybe you should be TheHowToMakeMoneyOffYourKidsFamily. You guys have lost it.

We are big fans of you. But it seems like it is a one way relationship. It implies that we don't have anything valuable to share with you besides $5 dollars. It also implies that we have not figured out the same parenting tips like you have.

Getting ready to sell everything I have just to become your friend!

I thought we were friends all this time. Damn. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Wow the greed never ends

@KawaiiAF I'm so sorry, I've heard of them, never would have knew they've gone down the drain too

First off, that 54 million will last his children practically forever, especially if he invested most of that money wisely.
Second off, if all YTbers start with a $5 subscription tit thing, 5+5+5+5+5 will add up for us viewers.

I ain't got 54 millions to start paying for shows on the internet. :LOL:

Thanks Jess :) Their video's were always my little safe haven.

Sad fact is I'd really like to see their paid for content. it was something I suggested, and to know they are doing it but i can't see unless I pay.. is so disheartening to say the least.

You're right, 54 million will last them forever. They've admitted they receive free flights, hotels, air bnb's and free park trips or whatever they're doing so they don't pay anything. The only thing they could pay for are holiday ornaments, but until recently they didn't even get any as they were traveling light. So they've lived 3 years with barely any money going out. Their luxury hotels bend over backwards to provide everything for them and the children so Jessica doesn't even have to think about basics.

They've admitted they have not touched their fortune yet. I imagine they did to buy the hawaii house, but it was a deal with two other companies to redesign it so while it needed a lot of work those companies paid for it, in fact they made a whole show about it, with links where to get the same technology etc

All I know is, they're the last people to need 5 pounds from their viewers. They could have done something for a subscription, and done it in a good way, but they just were so sneaky and creepy about it, and are continuing to try to cover it up and delete comments etc it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Def not the people I thought they were. To me it's like the Queen wanting more money just because. i mean, aren't you rich enough dudes?! Imagine the interest alone on that sheer wealth!!

Here's an article where Garrett did an interview explaining he hasn't touched his fortune yet

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...eft-to-travel-the-world-reveals-a7526016.html

They've added the new "Friends Club' to their website. Apparently we would get secrets. lol Geez. It's one video per month, they explained it in their video already, you may get invites to travel but you betcha you have to pay and it will be expensive! Especially as they are obviously getting a cut too! I'm really hoping a salty person who only gets a crappy 2 mins vid per month with info already in their vlogs shares it to us poors so we have a good giggle at what we didn't waste our money on lol!

124.jpg

Last edited:
Charging 5/subscriber/month to share travel tips, exclusive deals may just be worse than releasing a stupid book. They could write a really good book with tips, infos etc, and maybe even book sequels.

For the whole exclusive deals for subscribers, it would mean they will earn even more money, because they'll be reaching out to companies to advertise to their subscribers.

Instead of putting all these that you've mentioned in free YT videos (and still making money from ads, sponsorships, and getting free trips and stuff), they've decided to launch a business to earn money from fans.

Reactions: 3
Agree, I also have a much higher chance of being able to look at the book or pics online and see if it's any good. I can't do that with private video's.

Past experience has shown these things tend to be lazy money grabs, so I'm not hopeful it will be quality.

I'll just stick to the free ones, but sadly I'm struggling to watch their channel now.

After they received criticism for the way they went about it & for fracturing their fans into those who can and those who can't, and making us feel bad like we are not friends if we don't pay! They uploaded a video all about their daughter for her birthday and I just couldn't get into it. It felt like they were heavily using their kids for the aww factor and make us forget.

I chatted with a friend today & said I don't think there are any vloggers left who don't money grub. And she said think about it, they probably go into youtube in order to make money, so when they see ways they can get it they go crazy! True but it still saddens me.

I could never ever charge my fans to watch secret video's that others could not, and then call them Friends only if they pay. I mean.. it just feels like mean girls. lol! Join our clique kinda thing.

If they really wanted 5 pounds a month from a ton of fans I think they could have found a better way to do it. A book would've been great! Maybe other ways would've worked aswell where fans didn't feel they were doing something wrong not paying. Maybe an uncut, unedited livestream every week for an hour or 30 mins. Where they're not really giving away secrets but just sharing their lives a bit more. That way fans wouldn't feel quite so left out.

I saw some really heart breaking comments from fans, one older lady is disabled, she's 80 years old and she can't travel or get out of the house much at all and she lives thru their video's and she was breaking her heart she couldn't afford to pay as she has to heat her house this winter and she can barely do it. She got so much support by fans messaging her that her comment was super popular with fans wishing her well but now it's been deleted. Imagine her logging in to see her messages and they are all gone!! Heartless.

A little girl looked about 13 was upset she had no money and her mother wouldn't let her get the friends subscription, she said she felt like their biggest fan but now she feels useless and a 'bad fan'. She said she would do anything to be their 'friend' and posted a line of broken heart emojis.

How can they do this to their fans. I don't get it.

If I was stinkin rich I'd be paying for some nice gifts out of my money and doing giveaways every month to thank the fans for watching and subbing. They are not my cash cows. heck they could do that just with some of their ad sense and not even notice it was gone! They of course could also get freebies from companies like go pro, but it wouldn't mean as much, but still it would be a nice gesture. Never see successful youtubers actually go to a store, buy a phone or something, then give it away to the fans without it being an ad for the product. The worst was Logan paul, he got a brand new iphone for himself, got a spare to giveaway to fans, but then he got his friend in a gym to break the phone in half and destroy it, the screen everything, and he still did a giveaway and sent a young fan the broken phone. That just about sums up these youtubers!

Last edited:
After posting always positive vlogs, they are posting negative and rant vlogs for the first time.

Whoever said they were influenced by other youtubers they collabed with recently was right!

This just isn't them.

The only thing I can think of is they were sad their channel wasn't growing as fast as they'd like, or they didn't have as many views per video as they'd like, but they were growing and nicely.

This is a shame. I unsubbed them before but it popped up in my recommended lol

Reactions: 1
I don’t really have a lot to add to this but I agree! I started following them when they stayed at Disney. Although it’s obvious they have a lot of wealth and most of their holidays were out of normal people’s reach that was ok. But now they just seem lazy, hashing footage together for videos (take their most recent one) and constantly shoving the bucket list friends down your throat. It’s extremly offputting.

I never comment on appearances, but millionaires and she can't even buy a deep conditioning treatment for her hair? Anyyywaaaaay.....I hate when travel vloggers in particular do this. I remember TravelMadMum (who I like) did this really whiny post about how she travelled to make content for the benefit of the viewer, therefore we shouldn't expect content for free so she asked everyone to donate monthly so that they could afford to keep on travelling. In return we would get content :rolleyes:

And now they connect with Shawn Johnson. Another bratayley connection. It's all commercial from now on

There seems to be so much underlying tension between the parents. Not to speculate too heavily, but people on other forums have speculated that Garrett is a closeted gay man who chooses to be in a hetero marriage because of his Mormon faith. Apparently this is somewhat common in their faith, and the wives even know the husband is gay going into the marriage. He does give off a bit of a gay vibe. If that is the case, it's pretty sad for them.

May I know where I can find active forums about them? I have a lot of suspicions about them and why do I somehow foresee all this falling apart in maybe about five years? Especially when the kids are old enough to say they don’t want their life publicised anymore or if they want to miss out on a trip to hang out with friends instead, Garrett wouldn’t be able to exploit them for advertisement money, can he?

I think it will look a lot different for them in a few years time. They already travel a lot without the kids in the last year, although seem to have a lot of plans for 2019. I think in a year or so their trips with the children will become less regular. I don’t think it will change how they travel tbh...

I feel the same frustration with the BLF. I’ve been a follower and watcher for some time now and really felt like I knew them to some extent but recently it’s all seemed a bit fake and charging people to view content when they get sponsored work all the time (which they’d never get if it wasn’t for us watching!) seems really grabby. Money has gone to their heads!

wow i was just telling my husband this the other day! they post a 10 sec video of content and then they say "want to see the rest, subscribe to our youtube channel" like seriously? all you do now has to be monetized. just live and share your experiences freely. you already are millionaires!