Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cora

I know this is a quiet thread, but over the past year or so the Bucketlist family just haven’t sat right with me. Their IG story today shows Garrett talking about abuse he experienced as a child, obviously horrific, but he is using this as bait to get people to sign up to “Bucketlist friends” to hear the whole story. Using a horrific experience like this for profit is so wrong in my opinion. Also using Jessica’s skiing injury as click bait pissed me off.
They used to be a lovely family to watch, really genuine, but they seem to have lost their way.

• Sick
Reactions: 13

DaisyDaisy87

VIP Member
I’m surprised this thread hasn’t picked up more since the weekend to be honest. I always liked them but that video left a really bad taste in my mouth. Garrett was literally acting and using words like someone had died. If she’s hurt her leg then just say that. Someone commented saying that the language he used was more applicable to death, cancer and what’s going on in India right now rather than someone hurting their leg while skiing! Really cheap shot to get publicity. I hope they lose a lot of followers from that.

I actually think they deleted a lot of their Instagram comments as their YouTube ones seem to be a lot more angry!

Reactions: 12

LLR

Garrett seems like the kind of parent who is unwilling to meet his children on their own level regarding their interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes. Dorothy seems to enjoy soccer and surfing but I don't feel like Garrett would put the same effort into her with them if she decided she didn't want the same hobbies as him anymore and she wanted to do say ballet or sewing/fashion design (he might put some efford into them if he can find a good way to monetize them though). He really seems to push his interests onto them and eventually they will push back and start becoming more their own people which he won't like. He really comes across as such a selfish man-child.

Reactions: 10

LLR

Their relationship is built on Jess being a good wife. She does the housework, majority of childcare and if I remember correctly is responsible for seeking out brand deals as well as other involvement in their family business. Garrett is a manchild who is completely reliant on Jess' labour to function - he does what he wants which is YouTube, drone footage and training his children in sports he likes. Dorothy doesn't seem to enjoy all the travelling and wants more stability and Jess seems like she would put her children's happiness first whilst Garrett is all about himself. I wouldn't be suprised if Jess was starting to resent having to always be a parent whilst Garrett just does whatever he wants despite having three kids.

Reactions: 10
They’re actually pissing me off playing this victim card now saying everyone is being nasty - the only comments I saw were people quite rightly criticising them for baiting their fans with ‘tragic’ news in order to get views

the obsessed kiss-arse fans are even worse being vile to people and saying ‘social media isn’t their whole life they don’t owe you an explanation or an immediate update!’ No one is saying that you stupid bastards, for Garrett to post a story crying saying something bad had happened and give no other info for a few days is wrong when they are a family channel.

I’ve watched them for years but I’ve had to unfollow, I think the way they’ve behaved is actually disgusting and the audacity of them to now make out they’re being trolled, lol okay

soz for the Thursday morning rant 😂

Reactions: 9

ambreuk

Anyone still here? I found this thread after watching their latest video on their marriage.

The BLF vids were always my safe haven when I needed a pick me up or distraction from real life struggles. Always sunny, beautiful ocean, etc etc. But their latesr vid left a reallllly bad taste in my mouth. It portrays Garrett as a narcissistic a**hole and a manchild. A few examples: never changed a diaper doesn't take out the trash and refuses to turn on the oven when Jess askes him to. Doesn't own a wallet. Says he is the taker and Jess is the giver. Says that his 'marbles' are more valuable than Jess's and that she is simple and vanille. It was absolutely horrible to watch this. Anyone else seen it too? They are getting slammed in the comment section as well.

Edit: they have now deleted the video.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I am so glad this thread exists!

I have been following them for years (never participated or signed up for any of the stuff). Completely agree that the monetising of really serious stuff like Garrett’s experience of child abuse is horrific. And the exaggerating of Jess’s accident is extremely cynical.

On a much more trivial level, doesn’t matter nearly as much, I am uneasy about the way that the whole family is The Garrett Show & his massive vanity. Also, they think they’re so revolutionary but Garrett’s total obsession with getting the kids to do sports - diving, gymnastics etc - and push themselves physically is completely standard American Sports Dad. Do any of the kids ever read a book?
And all their gross Gap Yah/here we are with our unnamed Friends doing a happy tribal dance with/for pics whenever they’re in a country where the population is mainly black…

ByTheWay

I came searching on Tattle to see if the family were on here after the most recent video, I see I'm not the only one! Much like others I've followed them for a while now and found it quite fascinating, but am becoming increasingly uneasy.

I find it quite bizarre how money grabbing they're coming across now given that he previously sold a company for $54 million dollars.

Bora Bora Local

I agree entirely. They are now getting angry at their fans because they baited everyone and then didn’t share an update.

I have also torn my ACL and you know, it hurts, it’s painful, but MYGOD they are acting like someone has died. Get over yourselves.

Glad to find this thread! I feel awful for all three kids. You can tell how much they want to be home and I do get the feeling Jess wants that too but it’s always about what Garrett wants.
I have seen them put those kids in risky situations so many times in their videos but the surfing with Cali on his back is especially terrifying. Also the surfing at night is idiotic.
You would think that they would have slowed down a bit after Jess’ skiing accident/injury but nope.
I also wonder what kind of education the kids are getting. The whole traveling the world thing was fun for a bit but they really need to settle down and let those kids have stability, friends, and just live a normal life.I get the impression that Garrett is one of those people that just can’t relax and always has to be moving, doing something, pushing the envelope because he gets bored too easily.

Reactions: 7

cora

Cali saying “my legs are so cold” in Garrett’s insta story broke my heart 😭
He was crying as soon as Garrett put him in the ice bath. Horrible putting little kids in there. I know he asked them if they wanted to do it but of course they’re going to say yes to their daddy - if they say no then he’ll just tell them to be brave and force them in 🙄
I’ve unfollowed Garrett cuz he winds me up 😂

LLR

They were a lot more watchable in the early days when they were still a full time travelling family. When they had Calihan it caused them to have to slow down for a few months and now they have the house. Part of me thinks that Garrett resents the fact his kids are restricting his lifestyle, I'm not sure he wants the house I think he still wants to be full time travelling. I haven't watched most of their recent videos but their "summer semester on safari" seems to have extended itself into them only just getting home now in January which I guess means they missed the first terms of school.

I did watch their last video and Dorothy's new year's resolution to "have a best friend" is kind of heartbreaking. Nobody wants a best friends who is never around to play with.

KawaiiAF

VIP Member
I've always loved this channel as they were self made and felt like a breath of fresh air. Until today. I've been stewing about it all day as I'm actually really disappointed.

If you don't know them, they made $54 million selling an app to Snapchat. Garrett Gee had the idea, but hired someone smarter to actually do it, he is actually really smart, at the height of it's popularity he was working 1 day per month, he hired others to do the work. Sold the app to Snapchat, and he and wife and kids have travelled the most beautiful places in the world in style the last 3 years, using his appearance on Shark Tank to get a foothold and then getting endless advertising and free deals. They do the coolest things, and visit the coolest places, endlessly. Big companies work with them, eg giving them free 30 day stays to Disney where they stayed in a different Disney hotel every night & their kids were spoilt silly etc They live a very charmed life. Great content to watch I actually liked all of that.

Recently they bought a 100 year old home in Hawaii. To show how jammy they are, they loved the beach with turtles location but it needed major repairs. They decided to holiday to several different destinations 'as inspiration' and another youtube channel would do all the work for free. All they had to do was send some loose ideas back what they wanted. lol. They even went to countries they'd just left for pete's sake, but at least it got them away from all the dirty work, and they came home to a high tech, perfect home with zero effort. After moving in Garrett went on insta to say it was a massive step to settle down and they were nervous what content to make next as they'd be stuck at home with kids going to school etc so what to make video's on? Later he admitted they would still be holidaying some place new every month, but at this point they were saying they had quit the travel vlogs.

So I racked my brains and realised I would love to know more about their lifestyle, I've always wondered as I watch, how are they doing this? Their life is flawless. They have more fun in 1 day than I've had in years! So I went on insta and told him this, and asked if he could please make video's on their favourite hints and tips. Things they've learnt travelling, that style I'd enjoy. Heck, even tips travelling with kids, just how they live their life would be great. As we never see much of that, just promoting a hotel or spa or pool, you know? I know that they exercise every day, but that's about it! So yeah that would appeal to me, if they have nothing better to vlog. So! Garrett hearts my comment, and replies something like 'Great thoughts!'. This was a few weeks ago. Does anyone know how to go back further than 2 weeks on insta please? I'm pretty sure those are his exact words but I wanted to prove it!

Fast fwd a few weeks. Today they released a video after a lot of teasing about an exciting new project we're gonna love, saying Will you be our friend? kinda thing. So I check it out and in it there is a list of all these secret video's they are gonna make that are exactly my suggestion, hints and tips, what they've learnt, they're practices, but we have to pay every month to see them :eek: It's a sub service only. I'm honestly so disappointed. I never meant that in a million years when I made the suggestion. I'm not saying they got it from me but I'm deeply suspicious. He literally saw my comments, liked them and then ran with it as far as I can see :cautious: And it's not like he likes every comment, I've made tons of comments over a year or so and he never noticed any. Only this one.

These are so ridiculously wealthy already, who boast they've never touched their fortune, as they live off top of the range freebies. So why do they need our money too? It's pretty obvious reading in the comments we are the poors in comparison :oops: So many people writing how they can barely get food on the table, or are old and can't travel, or sick like me, or are children, and how we are all thanking them for sharing their blessed lifestyle, so we can live vicariously through them once per week. So why would Garrett auto think, I know, let's charge them for good content :sneaky:(y)

Whenever youtubers I used to like got me down with their scamming and misbehaving and laziness and ripped my rose tinted glasses clean off, I'd always think, at least the bucket list family are genuine. Until today. Idk it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I know it doesn't sound much, it's 5 pounds per month, but it will add up to see all the video's. It's only 1 video for that five pounds per month. I'm just offended they would charge for youtube video's that would be normal video's. Are hints and tips that special?

The only good thing about their CREEPY will you be our friend video, is that they are finally open that all these expensive hotels and trips are free. I always suspected it, they never out and out admitted we were watching ads, they'd just say Disney invited us, or thank you Disney for the invitation, you know, that kind of thing, but in this video suddenly they are transparent, we got these free things with these big businesses and we can show you!

Maybe I'm being over sensitive as my back is really hurting today, but it just felt like a slap in the face.

It's okay to have an e-club type thing, but don't be creeping around saying we want you to be our friend!!! But only if you pay us for the privilege to be our 'friend', you know? It's so fake. Be honest, you want our money to watch extra video's. Btw I notice that some of the titles of video's coming up, they've already done free on their channel! lol. There's one about their relationship, they've already done video's all about their relationship lol

To me at least, it feels the same as if I asked Mrs Hinch how she cleans her car, if she asked for new content ideas, and then she's like I'm doing a clean your car video today! ... but it's 5 pounds to watch for you! :devilish:

I wish I'd kept my mouth shut now lmao Maybe they were gonna do it anyway who knows. I just feel sad haha :rolleyes:

Will you be our friend? HAHA how creepy is this

We have a question for you... WILL YOU GIVE US YOUR MONEY YOU NEED AND WE DON'T NEED, MONTHLY?! :ROFLMAO:

Bye friends! We mean, Suckers! LOL

When will these youtubers realize, the days of conning people are over. Most of us just aren't into it anymore. It's lazy and it's uninspired and it sucks. Especially as these people are already golden and have more wealth than most of us will ever see in several lifetimes over.

Last edited:
  • Wow

Grasshopper

The kids now need stability and structure in their lives..My heart breaks for Dorothy..and soon the boys will want their own friends too....How they can't see this is beyond me...

Reactions: 6

LLR

I also wonder what kind of education the kids are getting. The whole traveling the world thing was fun for a bit but they really need to settle down and let those kids have stability, friends, and just live a normal life.I get the impression that Garrett is one of those people that just can’t relax and always has to be moving, doing something, pushing the envelope because he gets bored too easily.
Worldschooling can be done really well and you can see people putting in the effort to educate their kids whilst travelling on other channels but these kids are never in school and when they are traveling we hardly ever see them do things that are historical or cultural. It's just endless luxury hotels and swimming/snorkeling.

It would be lovely to see them take them to like a children's museum or something like that just for them. I think there were occasional museums (i feel like there was a car one in germany) and more things like that in their earlier vlogs when they were more watchable but they seem to not do those sorts of things at all anymore.

LLR

If they were going to move anywhere it should be somewhere that their kids already have friends. Dorothy was so happy when they went to see Claire Crosby in Seattle and I think they also have similarly aged cousins back in Utah. Completely uprooting them right now I think would be so bad for them. Dorothy just wants a best friend and that should be completely heartbreaking for both parents who have dragged her around the world for years.

F

FamHam

Ugh that's so money grabbing!

Small charities and creator need money, not multi millionaires. It's peoples own fault if they pay up. But they should get a backlash.

Friends is so creepy, its customers they mean! Buying friends :ROFLMAO:

Totally agree - they might think their viewers are dumb for ‘not understanding’ they can’t update us 24/7 but in reality we’re not thick, we can quite clearly see how he drip fed information about a bad accident happening to try get their views up

and it all seemed totally over dramatic in the end, they could have just said Jess had a ski accident and hurt her leg but she’s fine we’ll update you later. I bet Garrett was giddy with glee thinking how he could use this for content 🤢 despite having to work his way up a snowy mountain to get to his injured wife noticed he never dropped his selfie stick once🤡🤡

also if my husband made me drive myself to knee surgery whilst he just sat and filmed he’d be needing a trip to hospital too 😌😌

It’s gross. Garrett is like one of those “be a man”/mental toughness is all dads that you see in the flashback scene of some film about why eg a male sportsman character is incredibly messed up. “My dad made me go in an ice bath when I was 3 even though I cried” is like an anecdote from some harrowing autobiography. “My dad made me go in an ice bath FOR AN INTERNET VIDEO when I was 3 even though I cried” is even worse.
I also can’t get over how dangerous and stupid the piggyback surfing is. I wouldn’t put a child that size in the sea without a flotation device (I surf) and not out of their depth. When kids that size have proper lessons they’re on boogie boards, attached to them, and in ankle deep water. He could let go and drown really quickly.

Agreed. I also used to think Cali looked so anxious and unsettled as a baby. I know their thing is all being brave and trying new things, but I feel I’ve never seen/heard any real focus on anything except physical endurance/sports/bravery for the kids. They brand the kids as “young travel journalists”, but we never really read their words or hear their voices. Or anything much about their eg on the road homeschooling. I know the travel is supposed to be educational, but it’s not as if they’re anywhere long enough to learn the language or properly engage with history, instead of a few luxury travel/animal/sporting experiences.