The Archie Battersbee case

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Firstly, when the cardiac arrest comes, no amount of resuscitation attempts are going to provide a good outcome. You can’t resuscitate a corpse. Secondly, whatever happens from now onwards Hollie is going to claim that the hospital killed Archie. No amount of reasoning will make her think otherwise. For this reason alone I think a post-mortem will have to be carried out. Possibly even two as the family will not trust the outcome unless they choose, and fund, their own pathologist.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Hollie is staggeringly stupid. I can’t believe this is being allowed to drag on for so long.

Reactions: 21
AGH someone just linked a DM article about ambien being used to "wake coma patients"

Replies: "wow, definitely worth a go!"

Definitely isn't, given it's not evidence based, completely irrelevant, and they're talking about a child who's being kept precariously alive by a meticulously managed cockail of drugs, adjusted hourly.

Someone posted earlier about the sheer level of arrogance of people in AA, who take an incredibly complex situation and think they can solve it with a google. Do you they not think all the neurologists, with decades of training, may have already mentioned it if they thought a pill could magically wake him up?

/rant over
The sheer ignorance about how medicine is practised, it makes me so mad.

Reactions: 7
As a paediatric nurse, I had to leave my last role as it got to the point that I felt like I was torturing some kids on a daily basis just to keep their families satisfied. The kids I cared for weren’t even as unwell as Archie but they’re never going to have positive outcomes.
I very nearly burnt out completely and it took a serious toll on my emotional well being. I ended up with overwhelming anxiety every single shift and that’s when I knew it was time to move on.
I can’t even imagine how the staff involved in Archie’s care must be feeling.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Q please. Maybe Hollie has commissioned a unique, fancy ventilator that I’ve not encountered before but how can he not be requiring oxygen and only be “in air”?

Also a comment on the post refers to an “accident” made by, I assume, a Nurse that involved the ventilation being “turned down”. Tut tut. It was only noticed because Hollie is there 24/7 and monitoring everything, thankfully.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
Q please. Maybe Hollie has commissioned a unique, fancy ventilator that I’ve not encountered before but how can he not be requiring oxygen and only be “in air”?

Also a comment on the post refers to an “accident” made by, I assume, a Nurse that involved the ventilation being “turned down”. Tut tut. It was only noticed because Hollie is there 24/7 and monitoring everything, thankfully.
Thank duck Lisa - with her GCSE in biology? Highly doubt it - managed to spot an error the trained nurses made.

If it wasn’t so tragic, I would just laugh her off. But the fact that her uneducated musings and posts are lapped up by thousands is worrying.

Reactions: 20
Well let’s be thankful that Hollie will never have to return to pole dancing to earn a living. She’ll be able to walk into any renowned hospital as Clinical Lead in their paediatric ICU.

• Haha
Reactions: 35

lol at "here's a load of damning claims about hospital staff but don't quote me on it"

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Is it totally wrong of me to cringe at the spelling and think if you’re going to have a public rant, make it a well spelt and coherent one?
It seems so often the way though that those with so much to say manage to say it in such an illiterate way.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

I was actually going to ask this question, I'm 20+ years post ICU and while I can remember quite a bit I was confused by the use of air.

I think it's worth noting as well that his sats are fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things because you clearly can perfuse corpse , whereas his care/O2 and Co2 levels will be controlled via blood gases. Hollie going on about sats shows her lack of understanding , but I guess it keeps her happy. Dunning Kruger is taking over the world.

Reactions: 10
Hollie saying today that Archie's "favourite nurse" is in today.

I wonder how he expressed that preference.

• Haha
The air thing is just he’ll be only in 21% oxygen through the ventilator. Just meaning his lungs aren’t needing any additional oxygen which at 12 years old they shouldn’t be.

Reactions: 10
I was actually going to ask this question, I'm 20+ years post ICU and while I can remember quite a bit I was confused by the use of air.

I think it's worth noting as well that his sats are fairly meaningless in the grand scheme of things because you clearly can perfuse corpse , whereas his care/O2 and Co2 levels will be controlled via blood gases. Hollie going on about sats shows her lack of understanding , but I guess it keeps her happy. Dunning Kruger is taking over the world.
He may be on 21% FiO2, so maybe that is what she means? However he will surely be requiring PEEP & pressure support, and mandatory ventilation so therefore a set tidal volume and respiratory rate (and everything else) so the FiO2 means literally nothing…

Yeah the saturations obsession confuses me too. I know relatives become fixated on one particular thing, whether it’s the BP or the HR, the Na or CRP etc. But Archie has so much going on that saturations is quite meaningless, it’ll all be PaO2 led.

DK indeed. But like you said, it keeps her happy.

Reactions: 11
Hollie saying today that Archie's "favourite nurse" is in today.

I wonder how he expressed that preference.
What she really means is 'the nurse I've managed to manipulate into doing what I want and she gives me loads of attention to boot'.

The nurse is just humouring you love. In reality, she'll be as pissed off as the rest of the staff, and the staffroom air will be blue.

Reactions: 28
Saturation or sats is her word of the week. Last week it was titrating. She hasn’t a clue what they mean. She’s just heard them used and adopts them for her own use in an attempt to sound knowledgeable.

It still staggers me that someone with such a low IQ can have the High Court and amazing Doctors having to dance to her tune.

What does it say about us as a society that we allow this.......... minority voices seem to be the only ones that are allowed to be heard these days :cry:

Reactions: 16
He may be on 21% FiO2, so maybe that is what she means? However he will surely be requiring PEEP & pressure support, and mandatory ventilation so therefore a set tidal volume and respiratory rate (and everything else) so the FiO2 means literally nothing…

Yeah the saturations obsession confuses me too. I know relatives become fixated on one particular thing, whether it’s the BP or the HR, the Na or CRP etc. But Archie has so much going on that saturations is quite meaningless, it’ll all be PaO2 led.

DK indeed. But like you said, it keeps her happy.
I guess people have watched too much ‘House’ … and it sounds suitably medical and knowledgeable.

Reactions: 7
It still staggers me that someone with such a low IQ can have the High Court and amazing Doctors having to dance to her tune.

What does it say about us as a society that we allow this.......... minority voices seem to be the only ones that are allowed to be heard these days :cry:
Unfortunately you can’t argue with stupid

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.