Taylor Swift

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She is polarizing.

I watched the documentary last night. It was decent. Not the best I've seen, but interesting. I always felt it's unfair that she is judged for being calculating and shrewd. All good business people are, and she is definitely a business. She is less "artist" than corporation. She has planned everything and has stumbled when faced with things she couldn't plan out (looking at you IMMALETYOUFINISH Kanye). I can't dislike her for being ambitious. My only point of contention with her is the, IMO, fake sweetness. She is owning her gumption more and more, but I wish she'd leap frog and just admit that most of the smarts behind how she got where she is has been down to her own plans and machinations. All the fake "OMG ME?" whenever she'd win awards was so grating.

I don't think she was treated fairly when she dated what it in essence is a normal amount of people, and so what if she made songs about her experiences. Every song writer has done so since the beginning of time. She is shrewd and comes across a bit more likable to me than say, Beyonce, who is also a mad control freak architect of everything in her life, but seems so far up her own ass in snobbery as to negate her brilliance. (I love Beyonce, but she makes me eye roll so hard at times. However, she doesn't come across as thin-skinned as Taylor.) Taylor is an extremist. She over corrected from being the butt of jokes over dating too much, to only surrounding herself with friends, and that back fired too. I can see how it would all make her feel like the world was against her, because the reality is that the masses build people up just to tear them down. We see it time and again across all spectrums.

I liked when she talked about weight and how if you get too thin, then the booty is gone, so no matter what you can't win. That eating and feeling strong is important. Girls need to hear that.

I liked that Joe didn't play a huge part in the documentary. That she's keeping that kind of low key. She comes across as mature, but also quite immature in many ways. She's undeniably talented as a song writer, and watching the process of how a song is born was fascinating.

She is a privileged, middle class, white girl that is talented and has mapped what is an impressive career from beginning to now. I think her true talent is the writing. Her lyrics are really superior to Madonna's, for example. She has come across as a whiny victim many times; hopefully that behavior will lessen now that she's entering her 30s. The Only The Young song felt really flat to me, particularly considering the subject. She could have done much better. JMO.

I'm so glad Taylor came out with a political stance. No matter how you vote, getting people to actually take the action is important. So good on her for that. It's terribly sad what their family is going through, with her mother's illness. My sister has terminal cancer and the absolute nightmare horror of watching someone close to you go through cancer, its treatment and side effects, well there are really no words to express the pure horror of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I was disappointed in the doc :( And that's nothing to do with Taylor.

It was a fun 1.5 hours but the editing was so bad and ruined it for me. Not that I know the first thing about editing but the way it was put together seemed so amateur, especially the parts with her ages. It kept jumping from one thing to another and didnt flow. Like her randomly visiting her dad but then nothing was shown from that visit. And the part where she's crying to her mum about things getting too loud - there was no context for that, and no explanation of what made her cry.

I also think there was way too much old footage used. I know it would be new to regular people but I was bored of seeing her performances, they couldve just played that in the background surely?

I was cool to see her songwriting process and how quickly these lines come to her, she really does have a sharp mind for songwriting. i think she needs to ditch Joel Little though for saying Me was good.

I also liked that she admitted she was immature. And I thought the part discussing her weight was very revealing. I was really surprised to see how much discussion went into making that first political post. It didnt seem like a massive deal to me, but I'm not American. I didnt realise her management had that much input on stuff like that.

Reactions: 3
I enjoyed the documentary but agree with others here who said that the whole thing felt very planned. To me, it felt very carefully crafted and staged. She wasn’t really “letting us in”. She didn’t really address any of the alleged missteps that she’s made in the past. It was a PR piece to make us feel sorry for her and buy more albums.

Celebrity navel gazing at its’ finest!

Drops tomorrow....

here's hoping Taylor dressed as a man in NYC finally gives one decent video for this era.

Still think the song is a ridiculous for Taylor (signed at 14 by a creepy old guy that called her very attractive and by a company that her dad bough a tit load of shares in) swift complaining about getting there quicker if she was a man. But let's see the choice she's solo directed for the chorus, I want it to be good..

Reactions: 2
here's hoping Taylor dressed as a man in NYC finally gives one decent video for this era.

Still think the song is a ridiculous for Taylor (signed at 14 by a creepy old guy that called her very attractive and by a company that her dad bough a tit load of shares in) swift complaining about getting there quicker if she was a man. But let's see the choice she's solo directed for the chorus, I want it to be good..
bit of a rant 😆
Taylor changes her narrative quicker than she’s used to change boyfriends.

the snake is gone and the victim is in its place, if she really was a struggling artist who’s come from the bottom with nothing it might work but she’s so far removed from that it’s laughable.
This type of feminism isn’t empowerment to other women.
This fake victim status and complaining about it to the world is just Taylor painting her new personality for the world. The one that hides her boyfriend and hides her private life and likes to be seen as a victim of the press and the music industry.

Highest selling female artist, actually male or female artist right?
Crying about how if she was a man she’s get to be in the same position but it would be ok to gyrate on scantly clad models?? 🙄

Her gender has been an asset to her for most of her career when the majority of her songs are about boys and heartbreak or love, it’s never been a burden imo.
And whatever happened with scooter, there’s more to that than her gender.

I want it to be good.
But if I see one glimpse of Camilla Cabana or whatever her name is I’m done with everything from that lover album

Reactions: 3
The videos for the Lover singles have been so disappointing. She had amazing videos for 1989 and the Reputation videos were decent but wtf happened this era? It's like she's gone from having a designer budget to a pound/dollar store one.

Reactions: 1
bit of a rant 😆
Taylor changes her narrative quicker than she’s used to change boyfriends.

the snake is gone and the victim is in its place, if she really was a struggling artist who’s come from the bottom with nothing it might work but she’s so far removed from that it’s laughable.
This type of feminism isn’t empowerment to other women.
This fake victim status and complaining about it to the world is just Taylor painting her new personality for the world. The one that hides her boyfriend and hides her private life and likes to be seen as a victim of the press and the music industry.

Highest selling female artist, actually male or female artist right?
Crying about how if she was a man she’s get to be in the same position but it would be ok to gyrate on scantly clad models?? 🙄

Her gender has been an asset to her for most of her career when the majority of her songs are about boys and heartbreak or love, it’s never been a burden imo.
And whatever happened with scooter, there’s more to that than her gender.

I want it to be good.
But if I see one glimpse of Camilla Cabana or whatever her name is I’m done with everything from that lover album
She has always been soooo fast to change her narrative to whatever suits her best in the given moment. as time goes on it just gets more an more obvious that she's just good at reading the room and knowing what image will play best. Her only misstep was probably reputation because no one cares about taylor having a tantrum about being called out
she's a really great business woman in that sense

She has always been soooo fast to change her narrative to whatever suits her best in the given moment. as time goes on it just gets more an more obvious that she's just good at reading the room and knowing what image will play best. Her only misstep was probably reputation because no one cares about taylor having a tantrum about being called out
she's a really great business woman in that sense
and I still think reputation was Taylor at her most authentic. 😐
Her documentary/the man is such a calculated move.
So Lover drops. The most feminine album Taylor has ever released.
Pastel colours, pretty visuals on each release, a softer image and a relationship kept private.

then the documentary drops, where we get to see the “real” Taylor. Or at least the rewritten version. (I’d put money on the fact every single scene from the kittens and diaries and “I just wanted to be a good girl” narrative to the suppressed female artist fighting against her dads fears to finally find her voice. 🤔 where scripted and planned to the max)

this is the same girl that carried a snake around in her handbag for years 🤣😂

I respect her for speaking out against scooter and the music industry, I’d say go get your old singles back and re record them because they’re much better than the last two albums!!

but just because you got burned in a business arrangement doesn’t make you a victim of your gender.

she reminds me of Jeffree Star, own the fact you’re a bit of a witch and stop trying to force this “caring” “victimised” narrative on us.

Her gender has been an asset to her for most of her career
Exactly this, while there is real problems I don't think mixing it with her own experience (which some are valid re the comments on her relationships) is helpful. But this is the woman that combined mean comments about her and the struggles of the LGBT community into one song 🤨.

I could write a dissertation on how gender inequality is decreasing these days, but wants the point. All I'll say is the man is a hindrance in all of this.

I can't even give her much credit over the scooter stuff as she's twisted it to rial up the swifties. Standard practice that the company that funds a recording owns it, no one has stolen the lyrics she wrote on her bedroom floor 🤦‍♀️.

I've no idea who the real Taylor is, but this did make me laugh as I'm easily pleased 😆

The scene in The Favourite where Emma Stone gives Joe an incredibly rough handjob, plotting the downfall of one of her enemies in her head the entire time is probably an accurate enough glimpse into their sex life.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
The scene in The Favourite where Emma Stone gives Joe an incredibly rough handjob, plotting the downfall of one of her enemies in her head the entire time is probably an accurate enough glimpse into their sex life.
So I felt sorry for Joe's character in The Favourite. I'd definetly have given him a better wedding night than a rough disinterested handjob.

And now I feel sorry for him in real life if she is too wrapped up in her own drama to just have sex in the moment and forget everything else.

• Haha
I have never read anything more accurate 😂🤣

I preferred Taylor with her problematic boyfriends and messed up relationships.
I’m done with her if we get another album like lover.

Well the NYC backdrop looked nice enough 🤷‍♀️
I’m not even ready to be that positive about it. 😐

spoiler for anyone watching with their eyes shut or the monitor turned off.

It’s Taylor dressed as a man. 😐

and I still think reputation was Taylor at her most authentic. 😐
Her documentary/the man is such a calculated move.
So Lover drops. The most feminine album Taylor has ever released.
Pastel colours, pretty visuals on each release, a softer image and a relationship kept private.

then the documentary drops, where we get to see the “real” Taylor. Or at least the rewritten version. (I’d put money on the fact every single scene from the kittens and diaries and “I just wanted to be a good girl” narrative to the suppressed female artist fighting against her dads fears to finally find her voice. 🤔 where scripted and planned to the max)

this is the same girl that carried a snake around in her handbag for years 🤣😂

I respect her for speaking out against scooter and the music industry, I’d say go get your old singles back and re record them because they’re much better than the last two albums!!

but just because you got burned in a business arrangement doesn’t make you a victim of your gender.

she reminds me of Jeffree Star, own the fact you’re a bit of a witch and stop trying to force this “caring” “victimised” narrative on us.
It makes a lot of sense to see reputation as her most authentic. Most of her career has been a series of calculated evolving images and reputation definitely seemed the most 'let herself go wild' and do what she wants for lack of a better phrasing.
Just like she waited for so long to say anything about politics, everything seems very scripted and calculated about her.

is this a metaphor for something? 🤣 She carried a snake in her bag?
[/QUOTE]

I mean I was gonna say a knife to stab her best friends in the back (or front) but I tried to be a bit more creative. 😆

IMO Kanye jumping on stage was one of the best things to happen her career. 😬

Reactions: 4
I’m not even ready to be that positive about it. 😐
It was below my low expectations, was hoping for some kind of twist other than the rock doing a voice over.

Maybe in the 80s it would have had a purpose 🤷‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.